Body & Frame question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2003, 08:53 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Body & Frame question

Hey everyone,
Got a couple of questions regarding a new project car that I am about to begin working on and haven't been able to find anything in the forums that really answers them.

I am about to begin working on a 1933-34'ish Ford Tudor. Looking to do the whole street rod thing, and not going back original. I don't have a frame yet, and I plan on buying a fiberglass body. I'll be putting a 350 in it.

First question is, are there any relatively late model cars/trucks out there that the frame can be used for this type of car? I've heard that some people have used a Mustang II frame and that some have used an S-10 frame with good success, but I haven't really been able to confirm this. I didn't get a chance to talk to this person to find out what kind of mods they had to do.

Second question. I've read in a lot of older posts where people were generally against frame swaps, although most of the posts I read were related to swapping out the frame when they already have a starter car. What are the pro's and cons for using a frame from an existing car like an S-10 vs. buying a fabricated frame specifically for this car. I know that there will some conveniences already available when you buy the fabricated frames, but they will also cost a good bit more than a frame from say a junkyard, etc. I'm looking more for technical difficulties that I may run into if I go the junker route that I wouldn't have buying a fabricated frame, i.e. frame has to be cut to fit, body won't fit it well, etc.

Any help/advice that I can get here would be greatly appreciated as I definitely want to make sure that I get started on the right foot and not run into a ton of unforeseen problems later.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2003, 09:05 AM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

I can tell you this, that anything other then a M2 or straight axle under that thing will look funny and the M2 may even look out of place. what ever you doo , DONT use a s10 frame or any other frame swap because if & when you get done w/it, it'll look like cr@p...........joe
Old 09-11-2003, 01:54 PM
Last photo:

Unless the original frame is unusable, I would stick with it. There are all kinds of sites that detail modifying an original frame for street rod use.

Vince
Old 09-11-2003, 06:43 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

MII front cross members and suspension can be used under that car. The frame itself can't tho. MII's didn't have a frame, they were unibody.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:09 PM

Last photo:

Your best, safest and eventually cheapest chassis is a repro or hot rod rail set for a 33-34 Ford, especially with a glass body, no an s-truck frame will not work or look good on an early body, they only work on the larger bodies of the late forties and early fifties. The Pinto-Must II front suspension is the best ride, but the pieces are from the design of the Must II front end, not the frame which as previously stated was unibody. In days past we used to cut out the front crossmember and adapt it to the early frames, it is much more time effective to get a kit, as mother nature has reclaimed most of the old Ford parts.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:08 AM

Ahh yeah. I totally forgot that Mustang II's were unibody. Thanks to all of you for all the advice. What you said makes a lot of sense. When I overheard this guy at a show make the statement that his was built on an S-10 frame without any difficulties, I was a little skeptical. So I think I will follow your advice and start looking for a repro frame. Now I just need to find a cheap price on one . Once again thanks for all your help on this
Old 09-12-2003, 06:28 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

I met these young guys at a show the other day. I`m going to try there frame out on the next rod I build, There product looked real good.

frame/w spring perch......$245
frame /w all brackets.......$375
standard body..................$348
pickup box.........................$169
1 piece floor.......................$200

they are called spirit industries....870-425-5900

[url]www.spiritcars.com

[email]spirit@spiritcars.com

Troy
Old 09-14-2003, 05:54 AM
Beats pickin' cotton

Last photo:

Chassis engineering is one of the best. Heidt's make great Mustang II setups if you already have a frame. Pick up an issue of Street Rodder, or Rod and Custom. Also pick up Frank Otto's book on building street rods it will help.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.