body frozen out of position? (door seams) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2014, 05:34 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

body frozen out of position? (door seams)

So about two weeks ago we had a pretty cold week or two here. One day driving down the road in my 01 f350 it sounded like my door was opened. When I stopped at a traffic light I opened and closed my door but it didn't help. When I got home i noticed that the top of the drivers side door and the top of the rear door (extended cab not crew cab) was touching and not allowing the front door to close all the way at the top. I picked up on both front and rear doors checking for pin wear but both were solid. I then thought well maybe I had a body mount fail and will check it out later. Well a couple of weeks have went by (truck is my weekend and recreation warrior) and I noticed today that I didn't hear the noise anymore and both doors looked like they were where they are supposed to be (looking at the door lines). Is it possible that there was ice froze between the body and frame and caused the body to be tweaked out of position? Has this happened to anyone else? I never looked at the body mounts either.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 06:09 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I have had ice build up on the bottom door lip of my work van, causing the door not to close right, so I would think you could have had a similar situation.

Budget RVs
Old 01-19-2014, 06:17 PM

Last photo:

its not just the door not closing right its the door seams were out of whack. The top back corner of the drivers side front door was actually overlapping the top front of the drivers side rear door.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85 View Post
its not just the door not closing right its the door seams were out of whack. The top back corner of the drivers side front door was actually overlapping the top front of the drivers side rear door.
sorry for the kindergarten drawing but I'm not sure if my recent explanation was making sense. A picture says a thousand words,right. The circled red part is where the doors were actually touching and the rest of the door was not touching each other.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ford doors.png
Views:	26
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	114201  
Old 01-19-2014, 06:26 PM

Last journal entry: For a change of pace
Last photo:

sometimes you just have to bring inside the garage and thaw it out
Old 01-20-2014, 08:20 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

I don't have a clue where the "middle of the mitten" is but if you've had the cold weather we've had, the seals get rather stiff. If you had that rear door open, it may have not shut properly from a stiff seal and held it forward at the top, causing the overlap. Did you notice if the gap at the rear of the back door was abnormally wide at the top ?
Old 01-20-2014, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
I don't have a clue where the "middle of the mitten" is but if you've had the cold weather we've had, the seals get rather stiff. If you had that rear door open, it may have not shut properly from a stiff seal and held it forward at the top, causing the overlap. Did you notice if the gap at the rear of the back door was abnormally wide at the top ?
if you lived in Michigan you would know where the middle of the mitten is, lol. Yeah I don't remember looking to closely at the rear seam of the back door. If it happens again I will definitely investigate further and share my results. As of now everything seems to be home where it wants to be and working properly
Old 01-20-2014, 09:42 PM

Last photo:

I had to smile at 'middle of the mitten' because I live in MI.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:49 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,082 Times in 965 Posts
I live in sunny California SF bay area so I sure as heck don't know crap about the REAL cold climates but I am a car guy and autobody repairman with decades of experience and I just can't believe that simply being cold is going to do anything like this.

I am eager to learn something new but I just can't accept this. A block of ice stuck in the door, yeah, that's like a rock for goodness sakes. But other than something wedged into the hinge area that is making the door sag be it a block of wood, a rock, or a chunk of hard ice, I can't imagine anything else happening to the body to do this. That trucks cab is EXTREMELY strong structurally, it just isn't going to get twisted like that without serious damage to the body or frame.

Brian
Old 01-21-2014, 07:08 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

thaw freeze cycle

We are having a little warmer weather now . only in the teens at night but sunny and clear in the day time and the sunshine will melt the snow and ice on the roof and the water runs down onto the weather strips. By evening it freezes the doors shut. It could be that the water collects in a weatherstrip pocket. , freezes, expands and a little more collects each day, building up an ice clob. . I hate all the newer cars that don't have drip rails. I have the speedster in the garage all apart taking up a lot of space, My step son has two cars in the carage, one his and one his sisters he is fixing, then with my 2 roll arounds, the lincoln tig255, the wife's car is being left out in the cold. We sometimes get freezing rain at night, ice build up everywhere

Last edited by timothale; 01-21-2014 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:32 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,082 Times in 965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
We are having a little warmer weather now . only in the teens at night but sunny and clear in the day time and the sunshine will melt the snow and ice on the roof and the water runs down onto the weather strips. By evening it freezes the doors shut. It could be that the water collects in a weatherstrip pocket. , freezes, expands and a little more collects each day, building up an ice clob. . I hate all the newer cars that don't have drip rails. I have the speedster in the garage all apart taking up a lot of space, My step son has two cars in the carage, one his and one his sisters he is fixing, then with my 2 roll arounds, the lincoln tig255, the wife's car is being left out in the cold. We sometimes get freezing rain at night, ice build up everywhere
That makes a lot of sense.

Brian
Old 01-21-2014, 07:58 AM

Last photo:

being cold and frozen does a lot of weird things to cars. They make weird sounds, the radials get stiff, and my wife's car started to drive really bumpy. She kept asking me about it and I kept insisting that it was the cold and suspension being stiff and perhaps some ice buildup, but we finally were going to take it in to have the tires balanced. Well, we had a thaw and then the car was fine after that.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.