Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Body hammers - Snap On vs. Martin
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 04:57 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Thanks alot for the input guys. I'm in school for collision right now and am just trying to get an idea of what tool sets might be best for when I graduate. Trying to get the most bang for my buck. Thanks again.
I think a lot of it depends on how far you want to go in collision repair. But as with any tool and any job, your tools are an investment. If you end up working on nothing but new stuff, you won't need any hammers at all other than a small sledge to straighten around some heavy metal. Everything else is "remove and replace". With older cars a couple of hammers and a set of dollies is a must. And one of those hammers will most definately be a "pick hammer". Then you will need a dollie set, and a set of spoons. But you will find is that you end up making different dollies and such out of different pieces of metal that you may have laying around. One tool that my dad and I use quite often was a piece of leaf spring about a foot long. Great for getting down in tight areas. Hopefully in school, you have an older teacher showing you the ropes, as quite a bit of metal finishing is a lost art anymore. I always got quite a bit of satisfaction of taking a fender that was wrecked and moving the metall back to it's original shape. And then being able to finish it off using no bondo at all. Ask most younger guys that do body work what a vixen file is, and they won't have a clue. BTW...good luck with school