Body Lifting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 10:30 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Body Lifting

Fellas,

I'm looking for some brain storming here-I am finally getting to the point of getting ready to put the Body on the Frame of my '35 (well, in the next Month or so hopefully, after I finish the underside Priming and such), and in advance am trying to figure out a good way to take the Body off of the Dolly it's on and put it on my Frame-I can lift the Body now, but I can't keep it suspended on both ends at one time and then lower it easily.

Problem #1-I don't have enough room to go overhead (although that would be my preference), so I must do it from underneath or inside the Body-I want to be able to take it on and off in case of some unforeseen hang up.

Problem #2-I have thought of using those old air assisted Bumper Jacks from the side (you know, the ones that are wide spaced), but I can't find any that are reasonably priced, and there must be a better way-my Shop Doors are down a hill to the back of my House so I can't get a Forklift down there-I would love to rent something but can't think of what would work.

So, I am looking for a design to build (as I can't seem to buy it anywhere)-I don't want a couple of cherry pickers because they would go under the Frame and I want the ability to move things around as needed. I need something from the side, something I could raise and lower-wish I had room for a Backyard Buddy or something, but I don't have the ceiling height-could you please tell me how you do it or give a different point of view as I am a little stumped?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2008, 10:41 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35WINDOW
Fellas,

I'm looking for some brain storming here-I am finally getting to the point of getting ready to put the Body on the Frame of my '35 (well, in the next Month or so hopefully, after I finish the underside Priming and such), and in advance am trying to figure out a good way to take the Body off of the Dolly it's on and put it on my Frame-I can lift the Body now, but I can't keep it suspended on both ends at one time and then lower it easily.

Problem #1-I don't have enough room to go overhead (although that would be my preference), so I must do it from underneath or inside the Body-I want to be able to take it on and off in case of some unforeseen hang up.

Problem #2-I have thought of using those old air assisted Bumper Jacks from the side (you know, the ones that are wide spaced), but I can't find any that are reasonably priced, and there must be a better way-my Shop Doors are down a hill to the back of my House so I can't get a Forklift down there-I would love to rent something but can't think of what would work.

So, I am looking for a design to build (as I can't seem to buy it anywhere)-I don't want a couple of cherry pickers because they would go under the Frame and I want the ability to move things around as needed. I need something from the side, something I could raise and lower-wish I had room for a Backyard Buddy or something, but I don't have the ceiling height-could you please tell me how you do it or give a different point of view as I am a little stumped?
How about 2 engine hoists? One for each side. Build a cradle for each one that can be used to engage the underside of the body. If you dont have enough headroom to completely lift it off and over the chassis, just lift it enough to allow the chassis to be rolled away from under it. Just one idea. If I have more to smoke I'll think of more!
Old 01-03-2008, 01:02 PM
boatbob2

body......

Hi,i would remove the doors and trunk lid. turn the body on the dolly so it faces out of the garage.use a floor jack raise front,block sides up with concrete blocks,raise rear,block rear ,keep going until you are at the height you need.then remove the dolly,roll chassis under body,using floor jack ,remove blocks lower body on chassis.let us know how it works for you.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Do you NOT have any friends ??

I understand that a 35 would weigh a little more than my 32 ... but we had no trouble at all lifting mine. None of the fellows helping me were all that muscular or large ( except me ... RED SHIRT ... I am just large ... not muscular ) ...
Old 01-03-2008, 01:51 PM

Last photo:

If we are brainstorming here how about a set of portable camper jacks? These are the jacks you use to load/unload pickup campers.
The jack in the attached image I found at JC Whitney, you would need to FAB some brackets to be able to grab the body but the Jack should be plenty strong and does not extend under the body so you can roll the frame in and out.
Now I just hope the image shows up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper jack.gif
Views:	86
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	26660  
Old 01-03-2008, 02:15 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

I have no clue if your body balance would be way off but:

I do cab removals on 60s pickups. I use an engine hoist through one door with a stiff plank from dorway to doorway, and rest the plank on top of the tip of the boom. My boom has a welded chain hook thing on the top of the beam and it gets a good bite into the beam, so it won't slip.

It looks scary as heck with the cab swinging, but I have yet to have a problem.

A good balance point in your body would be the needed thing, it might not work out. Balance points are deceiving; the chev cabs need to have the plank as far forward as the door opening allows.....and some times I add weight here and there to get it to balance perfectly.

I have moved the hoist over smooth concrete, with a cab hanging, but prefer to swing the chassis out instead. Just seems safer.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Cox Custom Cars

Last photo:

What we do down here in Texas is have a Texas Bar-B-Que. All the guys come over for BBQ and Beer. Not only do we get the body lifted and on the frame, but mounted as well.

If the Beer hasn't run out , we get the fenders on as well .

This process usually takes all day, but we have one hell of a time doing it.

Frank
Old 01-03-2008, 02:45 PM

Last photo:

Everyone THANK YOU for your ideas-

AntnyL-I really don't want to use a Cherry Picker as it will extend under the Frame-I guess I could, and then find some way of supporting the Body to move the old Dolly out and the new Frame underneath, but....

Boatbob2-Thanks for your ideas, I hadn't thought yet about facing the Car to the outside, I will do that (it makes sense), but with the way the Body is made it overhangs the Frame from the Cowl back. The Blocks do sound like an economical idea (and a little scary)-I will keep it in mind. Right now I use my Floor Jacks to lift it and put 4 X 4's between the Body and Dolly to work on it, but that won't work very well to paint the underside, and it sure won't work to move it to the new Frame.

Deuce-sniff-I have no friends (how 'bout you?)-just kidding , but I would like to be able to lift the Body off if I need to do some sort of adjustment-I built my Body on a used '35 Frame, and templated it many times to make sure it was the same as my finished Frame (yes, I know!), but you never can tell-I might get lucky and it just slides on there, but as I hope everyone here has found (and I'm not alone), things on this build so far have not always gone according to plan, so, I would like that flexibility if possible.

39 Hemi-now that's the sort of thinking I like! I will need to look at the JC Whitney site and see what the lift capacity on those Jacks are, but that might be a good idea-

F & J-I have considered your idea, but again I would like to not have anything protruding under the car so that I can move the Frame underneath- but, this may be the best solution-I would definitely have to put some type of structure in the back fo the Car (and with the way those cars are designed it'll take some head scratching), but it's a thought-

If anyone else has experiences in this area please school me-I do tend to over think things, so there may be some easy, elegant idea that is right under my nose, or I am making this much more complicated than it really is-after all the work I've put into this I don't want to watch it fall off of a jack or come down on me-keep 'em coming!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35WINDOW
Everyone THANK YOU for your ideas-

AntnyL-I really don't want to use a Cherry Picker as it will extend under the Frame-I guess I could, and then find some way of supporting the Body to move the old Dolly out and the new Frame underneath, but....

Boatbob2-Thanks for your ideas, I hadn't thought yet about facing the Car to the outside, I will do that (it makes sense), but with the way the Body is made it overhangs the Frame from the Cowl back. The Blocks do sound like an economical idea (and a little scary)-I will keep it in mind. Right now I use my Floor Jacks to lift it and put 4 X 4's between the Body and Dolly to work on it, but that won't work very well to paint the underside, and it sure won't work to move it to the new Frame.

Deuce-sniff-I have no friends (how 'bout you?)-just kidding , but I would like to be able to lift the Body off if I need to do some sort of adjustment-I built my Body on a used '35 Frame, and templated it many times to make sure it was the same as my finished Frame (yes, I know!), but you never can tell-I might get lucky and it just slides on there, but as I hope everyone here has found (and I'm not alone), things on this build so far have not always gone according to plan, so, I would like that flexibility if possible.

39 Hemi-now that's the sort of thinking I like! I will need to look at the JC Whitney site and see what the lift capacity on those Jacks are, but that might be a good idea-

F & J-I have considered your idea, but again I would like to not have anything protruding under the car so that I can move the Frame underneath- but, this may be the best solution-I would definitely have to put some type of structure in the back fo the Car (and with the way those cars are designed it'll take some head scratching), but it's a thought-

If anyone else has experiences in this area please school me-I do tend to over think things, so there may be some easy, elegant idea that is right under my nose, or I am making this much more complicated than it really is-after all the work I've put into this I don't want to watch it fall off of a jack or come down on me-keep 'em coming!
OK, another idea: assuming you have about 18" or so of clearance from the roof to the underside of your ceiling, and a decent structure above; attach a rope-type block-and-tackle to the ceiling structure and hoist the cab up off/onto the frame.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:10 PM

Last photo:

Like you, I didnt have the vertical room in my workshop either.. I need to remove truck cabs and unload stuff from my trucks.. so I built something outside! Maybe I went overboard?

Cheers, Dunc.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

A very easy way to lift a body off of the chassis is with a routissure. Just did this on a 57 caddy, alone. All you have to do is set up the jig on both sides of the body by the rockers, leaving the wheels off the routissure so it sits flat on the floor. It really does act as a four post lift, and by the way I only have an 8 foot ceiling and still had plenty of room. This would really be a breeze with a coupe body. Can get these things pretty cheap on ebay, known as the body twirller.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:04 AM

Last journal entry: home again
Last photo:

lifting body

hello, i have lifted body of my coupe and panel truck myself in a eight foot ceiling shop. i put 4x4's across rafters on four corners where body is. i used 25 ft ratchet straps from 4x4 to 4x4 under front and rear of car across and ratcheted car up. at that point body is suspended able to be moved side to side forward and backwards. not a lot but enough for alignment purposes. at that point car frame is able to be rolled in and out front to rear and side to side. hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:51 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for ideas fellas-you have gotten my creative juices flowing and I'm looking into the ideas mentioned-if anyone else has any more I am a sponge and thanks for the help!
Old 01-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I just use my floor jack and some beams..put a block of wood like a 4x4 under the rockers to distribute the load and some cross beams long enough to go across and clear the chassis so you can roll it under..

Simple and works.use some tall jack stands under the ends of the cross beams..

The camper jacks are also very good as they are designed for that sort of lift and one just needs to get the balance point right..Some of those large truck campers are heavy..

Sam
Old 01-07-2008, 10:36 AM

Last photo:

Saw this on Ebay.....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Auto-...spagenameZWDVW

I was thinking that you can build extension arms to attach to the end of this thing, with 1 door removed you can grab the body from the interior (maybe bolt the extension arms to the floor pan, or with chains) and lift it off the chassis. Sorta like a forklift, but lift it from the interior so as to minimize chances of damage to the bodywork.

Antny

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.