Hot Rod Forum banner

Body mount bushings installation

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ericnova72 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a 1970 Buick Lesabre and I just ordered a kit of energy suspension body mount bushings that is actually for a 1970 buick riviera but I think it will work. The kit includes washers, inserts, and the upper/lower bushings. Altogether it will allow for twelve mounts.

My first issue is that when I count up the holes on the frame there is actually sixteen. I was not able to find a kit that resembled the old bushings that contained sixteen. Doing some research it looks like sixteen seems like a high number.

Attaching the bushings to the frame is no problem, but there are some places where I am unsure how to attach it to the body. For example, two body mounts are located right where the trunk pan is. Should I just drill a hole and attach it there? Is it typical to have the bolt showing in the trunk pan?

In the front of the body, there is a hole that is about 1.5" wide and that is where the body mount is located, how can I attach the bolt to that so it doesn't just wiggle away from the frame? A 2" washer seems outrageous but I could be wrong.

I will most likely upload some better pictures tomorrow, but this is what I have to work with.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
First off, you'll have to contact Energy Suspension and buy the remaining 4 bushings individually, so you have enough for your full size car application.

Many of the body mount bolts go up through the frame from the bottom, through the bushing, and screw into captive nuts inside pockets in the body structure. You will likely have to replace most of these captive nuts, which will often require cutting open that area of the floor pan and repairing/replacing the rust damaged clip nut or cage nut, then welding /patching the floor pan back closed.

You really should get a GM Body Assembly Manual so that you will know how this stuff is supposed to go together.

There will be no exposed bolts showing in the trunk or passenger compartment floor pan area, these are all captive inside pockets in the body structure.

Many of the bushings are made to fit into a 1.25 or 1.5" frame hole, and interlock with the other half of the bushing to form a locator and mount at the same location. Two that come to mind are the bushings that hold the radiator core support to the frame, those will have big formed 2" washers that go with them typically. These two in the core support will be the only two you can see the threaded end of the bolt once they are installed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.