body mounts- rubber cushions or no? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2009, 06:30 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

body mounts- rubber cushions or no?

I'm to the point, I'm going to start building my rat rod body. the way it will be done, is a lower 1"x1" square tubing framework bolted to the frame, and everything will be welded to that.. firewall is already done and has the 1"x1" tubing welded to it.. it will be bolted by drilling and tapping the frame for 3/8" bolts. but should I use rubber cushions in between? I'm planning on at least 8 body mounts on the 48x52" lower framework

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2009, 07:29 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I didn't use them on my roadster and did on my sedan delivery. I haven't had the sedan delivery running and on the road yet so I can't really tell you how much difference it makes. I think most folks will recommend including them and unless there is some overriding reason not to incorporate them into your design, I would use them.

BTW, if I understand your mounting method (the lower rail of the body skeleton sits right on top of the frame rail), you might want to consider using 1/4" - 1/2" rubber continuously under the entire length of your body skeleton - or wherever it comes in contact with your frame. This would give you very even support all the way around. I know on my roadster I had a slight bit of body flex when it was lowered onto the mounting points and the door jambs actually closed up about 1/8" - which created a rub when the doors were installed. (This is a potential problem with almost any roadster design since there is no support at the top of the door opening.) I had to jack up the body directly under the door jamb and weld in a new body mount at that position to remedy the situation. If you run a continuous hard rubber cushion between your body and your frame, you can hopefully avoid any problems like that.

BTW, I found a hard rubber material for this use at my local ACE hardware. It is 12" wide and sold by the foot off a roll. It cuts fairly well with a straightedge and a sharp exacto type knife. It's about 1/4" thick but you can glue and build up layers to suit your needs.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:16 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

the body will be 48" wide the entire lengh, and the frame is 26.5" wide so there will be a little overhang, but I'm going to run 2 inside suport rails overtop of the frame, and is where most of the body mounting will be.. it will be between 8 and 12 mount points... I'll get some of that hard rubber. if my local ACE hardware doesn't stock it, they'll order it for me... Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.