Body and paint costs... - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2010, 03:41 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

mine too..??? I cant even keep the cars I drive clean the cars in the shop get coverd with dust by the second day and stay that way till they go in the booth....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5266 (Small).jpg
Views:	38
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	44016  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2010, 03:44 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i have always charger 120 hours for paint. no bodywork , no parts swapping . just the surface primer , paint , and buffed. period. that is 3 weeks labor and it will take every minute of it. only variable will be shop rate. i go up 10% a year . at present it is 71.50 now there are other jobs. a t bucket does not take that long but most are the same . hope this helps .
Old 02-19-2010, 03:50 PM

I dont know about him but it helps me .......I'm getting a raise tomorrow... Then I can afford to pay someone to clean the shop....
Old 02-19-2010, 05:51 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I doubt either one of your shops are as bad as a few that I've seen -

Dave W
Old 02-19-2010, 11:54 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

I took my rod to 22 shops to get quotes on a BC/CC nice but standard auto color. I had the exact paint code and a VIN number to verify it. I also looked at the color on a car it various times of day to be sure it was what I wanted. I prepared a list of areas to address and what I wanted done. I also insisted on FFP....Fixed firm price. I won't buy open ended deals, ever. I also requested a hard completion date so the car didn't get stalled for weeks and months so other projects can get slid in.

The car is a 'glass' car with absolutely no mold marks and is very smooth as is. There actually was very little body work required. It is a very 'round' car and requires care blocking so it doesn't get flat spots and filler needs to be well blended or it will show especially with a dark metallic pearl.

Anyway I got quotes from $4k to $20k. Better than half would not give me FFP. The high end guy ran me out. He said he doesn't do fixed price work. I asked him how long he had been in business..20+yr custom paint. I followed with had he done 'glass' cars?....many. I said you mean you can't quote an exact price after doing many of similar projects?? never happen. I said you don't need my business. I settled on a guy who will do fixed price, will work to my list, does excellent work, and understands what I want. I got the dash back a week ago as a test panel that I had requested and it looked exactly as I wanted. The rest of it should be done the first part of next week. About 2 weeks ahead of schedule. He is going to score on the project as he knows what is needed and what I expect. Also he knows that there is cash money available for the project and he will get paid as agreed upon. I told him once I leave it, there won't be any add ons or changes unless he includes them or feels they are necessary. I said I'd come over and help him with some of the body alignment if he wanted and to pick up the dash but otherwise I wouldn't see it until it was done. He said he will be ready to paint this week end.

I can't wait to see it.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:11 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

anyone who cant give you a fixed price on paint is not the one to leave your car with. i don't care who they are or who they think they are. for the most part i don't even have to see a car to tell you what it will cost to paint it. doing bodywork is different but not part of the paint job. if you tell me it's ready and i give you a price don't even think about bringing me a car thats hacked together. i DO NOT finish some lazy *** bodymans job for him for free. either he finishes it or i write a separate bill for it. but like you i don't get into open end jobs with anything. give me a price for the job or i'll go elsewhere .
Old 02-20-2010, 03:03 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

I'm glad I'm not the Lone Ranger on this.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:48 PM

Dont forget to post pics... sounds great
Old 02-20-2010, 04:06 PM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwings
I took my rod to 22 shops to get quotes on a BC/CC nice but standard auto color. I had the exact paint code and a VIN number to verify it. I also looked at the color on a car it various times of day to be sure it was what I wanted. I prepared a list of areas to address and what I wanted done. I also insisted on FFP....Fixed firm price. I won't buy open ended deals, ever. I also requested a hard completion date so the car didn't get stalled for weeks and months so other projects can get slid in.

The car is a 'glass' car with absolutely no mold marks and is very smooth as is. There actually was very little body work required. It is a very 'round' car and requires care blocking so it doesn't get flat spots and filler needs to be well blended or it will show especially with a dark metallic pearl.

Anyway I got quotes from $4k to $20k. Better than half would not give me FFP. The high end guy ran me out. He said he doesn't do fixed price work. I asked him how long he had been in business..20+yr custom paint. I followed with had he done 'glass' cars?....many. I said you mean you can't quote an exact price after doing many of similar projects?? never happen. I said you don't need my business. I settled on a guy who will do fixed price, will work to my list, does excellent work, and understands what I want. I got the dash back a week ago as a test panel that I had requested and it looked exactly as I wanted. The rest of it should be done the first part of next week. About 2 weeks ahead of schedule. He is going to score on the project as he knows what is needed and what I expect. Also he knows that there is cash money available for the project and he will get paid as agreed upon. I told him once I leave it, there won't be any add ons or changes unless he includes them or feels they are necessary. I said I'd come over and help him with some of the body alignment if he wanted and to pick up the dash but otherwise I wouldn't see it until it was done. He said he will be ready to paint this week end.

I can't wait to see it.

Bentwings,
What was the time line ?
How long, start to finish ?
How long after you brought it in did he start ?
Was the shop clean ?
Did he appear busy ?
Please post some pictures.

454 RATTLER
Old 02-20-2010, 09:45 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

6 weeks. He said 4 weeks but I said 6 weeks will be more realistic. (in the back of my mind I allowed 8 weeks just in case. haha) So he will be in good shape. I didn't want him to be rushed. He does collision work and we had some really bad weather so I was allowing for that.

I looks like it will take him about 4 weeks.

About a week and a half. He had to wait for some parts to finish a collision job that was in ahead of me. They took longer than he was told to get there. Not much I could do as the the project car was immobile untill parts arrived.

The shop is a mess. Typical of body shops. Several long term project cars that should be taken home untill funds are available. It never fails to amaze me that body shop guys will let heaps sit in the corners taking up floor space for ages. Not in my shop I can tell you that.

He has enough to get by on for sure. He has done some nice work over the years. One was a car done for a long time friend of mine that I didn't know about.

I'm going over to the garage tomorrow to finish my motor so I'll take a picture of the dash and post it. I messed up the lifters. My fault entirely. I should have readjusted them and let it slide. Then I went and ran up to the rev limiter plus #1 son did the same a couple more times. The retaining rings came out and all the parts went into the oil pan. The pan magnets caught all of them and none even went into the oil pump. We will find out how a new set of lifters goes against a new but broken in cam.

I'm going to take a set of assembly pictures and maybe start a gallery. I should have done it a long time ago but this has been an almost overwhelming project to do by my self. Here is a shot right after the blower install. Notice the Telstar FC. They graciously let me use the shop occasionally. The other poor outdoor shot is with the BDS scoop shortly before I took it all apart for paint. You can get an idea of the shape the body was in. It's 6-7 years old inthe pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1299_3 (Medium).JPG
Views:	52
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	44033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1309_3 (Medium).JPG
Views:	47
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	44034  
Old 02-21-2010, 05:41 AM

Now THATS a beautiful car....I hope it's steel...Cant wait to see some more pics... If it was my car I wouldnt be able to sleep at night worrying.....
Old 02-21-2010, 10:30 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

Sorry to pop your bubble but it's 'plastic'. I don't do steel while I have great respect for those that do. The pictures are how it came from A&C plus years of shop rash.

I haven't had more than 3-4 hours sleep a night since I took it to the paint shop. Many nights I cat nap at this comp. Napped on the keyboard a few nights. Ever seen a screen full of letters??? I think that where the saying 'catching a few ZZZZ's' came from. haha

DW wants me to 'go do something', wash your truck, take the dog for a walk, do anything just stop pacing around and raiding the ref.

Guess I'll go take a picture of the dash and make sure I got all the wires hooked up.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:09 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

Well it was a nice sunsine day but our winter light is very poor. Here are a couple shots of the dash. Not real good color. If you look close you can see the red and blue pearl. the color changes with the angle you look at it. After about 4pm in the summer it turns almost black with just a slight pearl to it.

I tossed in a couple of the motor. You can see the boost reference lines and the coated headers. The scoop is BDS.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1404 (Medium).JPG
Views:	48
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	44051   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1401 (Medium).JPG
Views:	36
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	44052   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1405 (Medium).JPG
Views:	40
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	44053   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1407 (Medium).JPG
Views:	42
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	44054   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1406 (Medium).JPG
Views:	39
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	44055  

Old 02-22-2010, 05:46 AM

Those cars are so rare I thought it was glass.I still love it though.And that motor.......YEOW!!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.