Body and paint costs... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2010, 03:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Body and paint costs...

I am starting to look for the right guy to do the body and paint on my 48 chevy. The car is rust free and very straight, all original panels, never hit. This is the stage I have it at right now:

-Front sheet metal is all removed
-Firewall is sandblasted
-I am smoothing and painting the dash and firewall

I want to have the rest of the car painted, door handles, locks, windows etc. working, new weatherstripping and all the sheet metal installed. I am not shaving or smoothing anything, it is going to be a very stock body and painted in one colour. How much can I expect to pay for a job like this? Not a trailer queen, just a very presentable driver that is done properly.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010, 03:03 PM

Last photo:

Body and paint costs...

I am starting to look for the right guy to do the body and paint on my 48 chevy. The car is rust free and very straight, all original panels, never hit. This is the stage I have it at right now:

-Front sheet metal is all removed
-Firewall is sandblasted
-I am smoothing and painting the dash and firewall

I want to have the rest of the car painted, door handles, locks, windows etc. working, new weatherstripping and all the sheet metal installed. I am not shaving or smoothing anything, it is going to be a very stock body and painted in one color. How much can I expect to pay for a job like this? Not a trailer queen, just a very presentable driver that is done properly.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:53 PM

Last photo:

The cost of the job depends on many things:

How much disassembly and reassembly is involved
The quality of work being done
How much work is being done (if the car is being brought to bare metal and epoxied everywhere or if there is currently lacquer paint on it)

The quality of materials being used (filler, primer, base coat, clear coat)
The quality of finish you expect( straight from the gun, sanding and polishing, or a sand a re-clear)

Also how quick you want it done can effect price as well.

The best thing you can do is get estimates from local shops in your area. If the car isn't currently drivable some shops will come see the car to do a proper estimate.

Ask to see some of their previous work or ask for references. If the shop puts out good work they should have no problem showing you a few jobs or pictures.

Remember, you get what you pay for.

You can easily pay anywhere from $2000-$10,000 for a paint job.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Probably the most difficult question there is as there are just too many variables involved here..Seems simple enough but shop rates vary and just really how straight the car is and how do you define presentable driver..???

Sam
Old 02-18-2010, 05:00 PM

Last photo:

Ya I know this is a tough one to say without seeing stuff and knowing how far you want the car to be assembled etc.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:21 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

That's a loaded subject

I have a brand new fendered Brookville roadster. I ended up painting it myself.

My shop quotes ranged from:
1. Spray, cut and buff - $6000 with any body work paint and final assembly extra
2. Full all out, disassemble/reassemble $9000 to $15,000 any bodywork and paint included (3 shops)

3. My home done job - body prep materials $800, 7qts of BC paint @ $500++/gallon, 4qts CC @ $70/qt 2 new spray guns $500, new buffer, buffs, compounds$350 , build a temporary booth $300.

Painting a car is very expensive. All of the I used materials are at discounted trade pricing, so even taking out the new tools, and adding 30-40%, costs still would be over $2000 for a decent job using name brand materials. My car is a yellow orange, no metallic, some pearl and really a lower price DuPont paint color in the scheme of costs - reds get ridiculous as do the color shift paints.

Of course, you can use lower priced materials, but the final results will reflect that - i.e. single stage like DuPont Centari or even some on line brands.

Dave W
Old 02-18-2010, 05:24 PM

Last photo:

Anybody in the saskatchewan area on here that would be interested in taking a look at my car?

Last edited by lt1tyrell; 02-18-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:35 PM

Last photo:

For $10,000 you will get an outstanding paint job at any reputable shop.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:11 PM

Last photo:

I would agree. I have seen 20K one color jobs, but that is very unusual.

For $10K you should get a really nice street and show finish, that will last 20 years or longer when taken care of.

The jobs likely to go higher than most will be black, because of the extreme prep work required.... and special colors, like candies or Kameleon.

Condition, color, quality of the materials, and the degree to which you want it finished will all go into the final total.

I would recommend you check with the local clubs, and see who has a long-term good reputation for quality and service. It should not take too long for you to have a very short list of people to contact. They should be able to narrow down the estimated cost for you.

They won't have a crystal ball to tell how many hours it will take, because the conditon of the surface will not be obvious until he starts block sanding the car, and he may find problems under the paint that can haunt you if they aren't repaired, but they will be able to give you a range that it should fall into in a "best case/worst case" scenario.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko1080
For $10,000 you will get an outstanding paint job at any reputable shop.
Offtopic, but this is crazy. You live in Vernon...Im in Kelowna. And I also have a Monte Carlo...1981, two tone red and grey. Cheers!

Anywho, it's really tough to say. What is good, straight rust free sheet metal to one person may be real wavy to the person prepping it. I know.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:15 PM

Last photo:

I will continue looking around for somebody who is interested in the job

Last edited by lt1tyrell; 02-18-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:16 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

The "right guy"is the one you can afford.....if you want the best, pay the highest price ,if you want anything less dont expect the same quality work...just get the best you can afford tell the shop your budget after they give you a price.look around see the type of work they do...its not very easy to trust anybody with your baby...ask other customers that had work done...A young up and comming painter will do quite a bit more work and try harder to please you than a big shop,but theres pros and cons to each.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:07 PM

Last photo:

Just don't entrust it to a guy only because he is cheap. He may still be practicing, trying to figure out how to do it right... or he may be one of those painters (and there are some) that take your car apart, spend the money, then have trouble getting around to finishing it for a year or two. That is why I suggested you look for reputation and consistancy.

I would also disagree with the most expensive being the best. I remember looking at "major builder" street rods, that cost hundreds of thousands to build, and wondering why they didn't take the time to get them straighter?

Try to see their work for yourself, and look for recommendations from reliable sources.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:01 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay

I would also disagree with the most expensive being the best. I remember looking at "major builder" street rods, that cost hundreds of thousands to build, and wondering why they didn't take the time to get them straighter?

Try to see their work for yourself, and look for recommendations from reliable sources.
I have to agree with that - one of the NSRA give away cars was at York one year - major areas of concern where the plastic filler was stress cracked(original steel car) in some places and chipped away in others. This car - built by Coddington!!! They had skimmed the entire body and where it was chipping off, one area was over 1/16" thick.

A new guy - unless he has a really good reputation at another shop for quality and timely work might not be the best choice, especially if his shop is loaded with dust covered cars and, I hate to say, the shop is filthy otherwise. I realize that body work is not a spic and span job, but you'll know what I mean when you see parts and junk in the way, in corners, covering work benches, etc. - but then others do great work working in those conditions

Dave W
Old 02-19-2010, 03:36 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

hey ! have you been sneaking into my shop ??????

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.