body panel adhesive? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2008, 09:15 AM

Last wiki edit: Swapping to rack and pinion steering
Last journal entry: 53 coupe
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 88

body panel adhesive?

Anyone real familiar with this stuff? I'm getting a flaky customizing idea.
My skills aren't good enough to french in headlights and tail lights. the original bezels are pot metal so I can't weld them in place. How about panel adhesive in the joint, then bolt them together. would that create a strong enough bond that i could fill the seam without it cracking open later?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,320 Times in 1,146 Posts
Yep, we have talked about it here, do a search. I forget what they said but I asked the R&D guys from Fusor or SEM or someone, don't remember. As I remember the biggest concern was if the pot metal would oxidize so fast once ground that there could be a problem. I am thinking grind it, epoxy prime it and scuff the epoxy and glue it together.

There is a chance of a "ghost line" where they meet down the road. But Depending on how it is done, that could be minimal.

Brian
Old 05-30-2008, 02:27 PM

Last photo:

panel adhesive

Thanks brian. You always give sound advice. (tried the search and didn't come up with any reference to using it to bond unlike components.)
would it be better to fill the joint with fiberglass instead of filler, before I skim coat?
Old 05-30-2008, 02:48 PM

Last photo:

This is it (use search words that would be found in the thread, I used "Pot metal" and "Adhesive" instead of "concepts" because the search needs actual words used in the thread.) Click here

I wouldn't use fiberglass. The best thing is to "spread out" the surface area so there is a skim coat out past the sides of the seam, the more the better. If you were to fill this seam and sand it down flat to the metal leaving this little strip of filler or adhesive, that is where it would be more likely to show later.

Using a fiberglass reinforced filler like "Fibretech" or "Everglass" would be ok. There are issues with applying filler over the adhesive so you may need to apply an epoxy primer over it prior to filler.

Brian
Old 05-30-2008, 03:00 PM

Last photo:

Do the epoxy over it before you apply your filler-this helps greatly in adhesion and also flexibility to deal with the different rates of expansion. Two coats of epoxy, an overnight cure in good temps, then apply your filler-this is the optimum timing IMO.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:49 PM

Last photo:

the ghost line problem will be tough to over come.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:40 PM

Last photo:

epoxy questions

Cut up - why do you think a ghost line will be a problem? If the bezel is bolted solid to the fender, plus panel adhesive, then body work done?
Not being contrary, I really want to know what the issues are.
This is only my second project, but on our model A we did the chop/welding/panel repair then epoxy primer to seal it, then the filler, then epoxy again to seal the filler, then BC/CC. I better not have any "ghost lines". Course those are all welded seams.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy829
Cut up - why do you think a ghost line will be a problem? If the bezel is bolted solid to the fender, plus panel adhesive, then body work done?
Not being contrary, I really want to know what the issues are.
This is only my second project, but on our model A we did the chop/welding/panel repair then epoxy primer to seal it, then the filler, then epoxy again to seal the filler, then BC/CC. I better not have any "ghost lines". Course those are all welded seams.

IMHO the "ghost lines" come out once it is put in to the sun. The expanding and contracting at different rates cause it to happen. Sometime it takes a while to see them. I have over come this by using dyna glass over the top of the seam area and feather ing out way past it but only after the bonded area is epoxy primed first. But it still can come back. If you bond only you will have a line back within days. I hope this makes sense JMO Tim
Old 06-02-2008, 08:39 AM

Last photo:

Oldguy, that is exactly what I was saying back a few posts ago. Sorry I didn't make it clear. And the Dyna Glass Lets Cut it up mentioned, same as Everglass that I mentioned, just a different brand name.

Having a filler spread out over the seam, out a ways, a number of inches, with a little layer over the top of the seam, 3/32" or as at least, help to "bury" that seam.

If you were to bond the ring on, then sand it down flat leaving what looks like a perfect repair with no filler at all, just a polished metal fender and a polished pot metal headlamp ring with a little stripe of filler or adhesive in the seam, THAT would provide you with a ghost line sure as poop stinks. I mean, RIGHT NOW, you would have a ghost line.

But with that seam buried under a little filler, Everglass, Dyna Glass, Fibretech, what ever, it has a LOT less chance of being seen.

Also, the lighter color the car is painted would make a big difference. Between the darker color simply showing more flaws, it also absorbs more heat.
Brian
Old 06-02-2008, 10:49 PM

Last photo:

body panel adhesive

Understood. This is a studebaker (worst panel fits in the world) so filler would be inevitable. My projects take years, so there is lots of cure time between steps. Also tend to drive them in primer to tweak them before painting. I may just give this a try, in the absense of someone already confirming it doesn't work.
Of course i intended a dark color. Black Cherry if there is such a thing.
Brian you might school me on that. Is it a red, tinted to near black? or black with a red base? It's a color I've had stuck in my head for years. I don't remember ever seeing it on a car?
Old 06-03-2008, 12:16 AM

Last photo:

"Black Cherry" is a black base coat with candy apple red over that, then clear of course.

And here lies the problem, that would be one of the worse things you could do if you want to avoid "ghost lines".

Brian
Old 06-03-2008, 06:21 AM

Last photo:

Some pot metal parts will accept solder or braze, if your bezels are solder compatible they could be soldered or brazed on and blended in. With adhesive and fillers there's going to be a great chance of having a ghost line for sure. I would definately look for a regular BC/CC color instead of a candy unless this is just a show car with mimal chances of needing repairs down the road. Candy paints can really be a pita to repair.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:46 PM

Last photo:

body panel adhesive.

Crap, 2 strikes. I want to build a driver, it'l never see a trailer and I don't want candy apple anything. Don't have the talent for it.
Thanks for the help guys, this obviously needs more cogitation.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.