Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Body part clearance on trunk lid to quarter panel
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,123 Times in 998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxnedw View Post
Can you tell me where I may find the tolerance on a 1970 Camaro RS trunk lid to quarter panel. Thank you
Ray, it's a 70 Camaro.

I haven't worked on one in years so I don't know the answer to this question, but often the lid ins't a square, the leading edge (at the rear window) or the trailing edge (at the tail lamps) is not the same distance side to side.

This being said, moving the lid forward or rearward will change the gaps size. Lets say you have a large gap at leading edge too, and the lid is wider at the trailing edge, you move the lid forward towards the window and all three gaps would tighten! Now, if the lid is wider at the leading edge and you move it forward the gaps on the sides would get larger, understand?

Something may be able be done like that.

I know one thing, there ARE dimensions for these gaps in the original body manual for that car, you REALLY need to get one of these manuals if you are doing a restoration. I fought it, I thought that it was for dummies or something, then I found myself being a dummy with mechanical issues on one of my cars being am a bodyman and not a mechanic, so I picked up one of these manuals. I was blown away at how helpful it is when working on the body too, it is a MUST HAVE in my opinion when owning and working on one of these old cars.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-F-Body-...4ecbb5&vxp=mtr

As Hotrodders is the best hot rod forum on the net, Team Camaro is the best Camaro forum on the net and I suggest you go there and ask your Camaro specific questions. Team Camaro Technical Question & Answer Forum - Camaros.net I did a search on the subject over there and there are a TON of threads with a bunch of info for you.

Click on the following link.
http://www.camaros.net/forums/gtsear...248j6185920j14

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
laxnedw (04-03-2013)