Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Body part clearance on trunk lid to quarter panel
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 08:00 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

If your gonna go the quickest easiest way to close the gap wouldnt it be easier and better to weld the rod on the deck lids edge rather than cut,spread, weld and bondo the 1/4 and take an even bigger gamble of warping th 1/4???.....
I imagine the time saving would be concederable since you could probably get away with doing only one side with an 1/8" rod and sliding the deck over??? makes sence to me....
getting good gaps at the beginning of the installation is the way to go though. heres some pics to look at mabee they can help...
when installing full aftermarket 1/4's I find that the jambs edges arent very sharp (rounded) and the gaps are hard to get right,they need a lot of massaging.I see a lot of guys just give up and say good enoughand blame it on bad sheetmetal even go as far as stuffing bondo in the jamb to close it up...getting good gaps in aftermarket sheetmetal IS a challenge but its worth all the extra time..repairing it afterwards is second rate and shows off a lack of experianceand pride in the tec's work a good tec always has quality come first before anything else ,the amount of money he's making on the job is way down on the list ... A not so good tec always puts the money first and is willing to put out second rate work and say there wasnt enough money to do it right,funny thing is every single job they do is like that...(just an excuse for lack of talent)
I'm sorry to say ,I just have to blame it on the tec...he needs to make it right if he even can. Or you should find someone else that the can...
The thing is, if he left something so obvious as bad gaps ,what has he done wrong that you cant see??? you better get in there and check it out top to bottom or have someone that knows what to look for do it...Bad gaps are just the first sign of a poor quality job...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2036.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	825.6 KB
ID:	72133   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2037.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	986.3 KB
ID:	72134   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2069.JPG
Views:	80