Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Body part clearance on trunk lid to quarter panel
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 10:13 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Gaps sure have gotten better over time...still they did pretty good back when, considering what they had to work with and the factory situation. OK, what I really want to add to this thread is the following.

Here it is;...

When I was a kid;...

Dad said (so I know it must be true):

Panel gap is 5/32". Tolerance is, no visible variations along the gap upon a casual glance.

----------------------

And, I would tig-weld the edge of the trunk lid (or door or whatever), moving fast and skipping around. Get the 1/16" steel rod hot and bird-doo-doo the stuff down for buildup, then grind it flat at the surface, then mark a line to grind to for the gap you want with masking tape and cut that, then radius edges like the folded sheet metal was and just make it look like it's supposed to. I've added a lot of metal that way sometimes. Corners, whether on the trunk lid or the quarter that it goes into, are not an area where you want there to be filler if possible.

BTW this is a hobbyist talking...not something I (or Dad) did for a living, but that's the knowledge.

Last edited by kso; 04-13-2013 at 10:23 AM.