Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Body part clearance on trunk lid to quarter panel
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
How about the wrinkles in the metal over the tail lamp! And the painted screws and latches! LOLOL, I am sorry I just can't do a 100 point show car. When I had my Vette I was looking to build it 100 point. I was buying the Corvette magazines and in there was a car with bare metal half shafts with just the right amount of rust on them, that is when I tossed the mag and planned on building the car RIGHT not as they did on the assembly line.

Brian
It's proof positive that new cars aren't perfect...although that is how new cars are perceived even today. For example, if you walk around a dealership and look at the paint on new cars...so much Orange peel you'd think it was Christmas morning and all the kids got was Mandarins.

I painted a front clip on a Camaro a number of years ago and the insurance wouldn't allow any blend time...the car was Black and they felt it would be fine. I painted the clip and the customer refused it. I was told to repaint the clip...I went to my Boss and asked if I painted the car on my own time if I could paint the back half. The Boss talked to the customer and explained that the painter couldn't bring himself to put out a finish on a car that looked like his factory paint, the customer happily agreed. However, when that car was purchased...nobody said a word about how poor the paint was.

Since that episode, when dealing with factory finishes and insurance company's, I learned that it was as important to match the color as it was to match the factory finish. I had a real good paint rep at the time and he explained it very well.

Ray