Body part clearance on trunk lid to quarter panel - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 07:50 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Body part clearance on trunk lid to quarter panel

Can you tell me where I may find the tolerance on a 1970 Camaro RS trunk lid to quarter panel. Thank you

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 08:27 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

if you're talking gaps a 3/16" gap is good. Not sure about factory as cars weren't perfectly aligned back then like cars nowadays.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxnedw View Post
Can you tell me where I may find the tolerance on a 1970 Camaro RS trunk lid to quarter panel. Thank you
What are you finding on yours? Are you replacing the quarter or has it been replaced? As Henry said about 3/16" is pretty standard target, but they can vary a lot.

Brian
Old 03-06-2013, 08:35 AM

Thank you for your response. Just had the quarters replaced wiht NOS items and I'm looking for the official specification/tolerance. Thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

If you had both quarters replaced you don't have much room for error, you put the deck lid in the middle with equal gaps on each side and hope that it works (if this wasn't all done properly during the quarter installs) what do you have now?

Brian
Old 03-06-2013, 11:06 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

just find an unmolested car and measure the trunk lid opening. Other than that, Just line it up the best you can and that will usually tell you what's wrong or needs to be tweaked. Then address the area and get the gaps you like. If you want factory you can just slap it on there and call it good, if you want better you'll have to do some work.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:47 PM

It's wider than my original and it may be outside of specification. I'm looking for the official specification. Thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 06:57 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

if it's a new quarter than that's not out of the question for it to give you a bigger gap. If I were you I'd line it up first to the your upper rear body panel and just by doing that with your hinges not pushed to one side or the other it will probably show you where the problem quarter is, if it's not obvious to you now. Can also measure to find out. In any case, line it up to your upper rear body panel and to the good quarter 3/16" all around. Then you can now use your rear decklid as a guide to tell you how far you need to push in the gap to reweld. You do this by running a slice on top of the quarter a tad away from the corner, close sections up to 3/16" and tack it shut. done!
Old 03-07-2013, 06:07 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
It's wider than my original and it may be outside of specification. I'm looking for the official specification. Thanks
There is none....You just get them as close as possible...a good tec wont accept wide gaps but they can be expensive so what a lot of people do is shop by price alone and get a less than perfect job ,If you paid less than 1000.00 to have the 1/4's installed you shouldnt be too worried about it now but if you paid more you should bring it back...check the gaps on the hood they should be about the same...
Old 03-07-2013, 06:50 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
There is none....You just get them as close as possible...a good tec wont accept wide gaps but they can be expensive so what a lot of people do is shop by price alone and get a less than perfect job ,If you paid less than 1000.00 to have the 1/4's installed you shouldnt be too worried about it now but if you paid more you should bring it back...check the gaps on the hood they should be about the same...
Mike is right...my first question to you would be...did they ask for the deck lid before they put the quarters on, or did they just weld them in, what they THOUGHT was the right place? And you know what thought did...thought it was a fart...but it wasn't...LOL

Without the deck lid to allow for proper gaps when they welded in the quarter's, all they can do is guess. If they had the deck lid, they didn't use it properly when they welded the quarter's in place. As Mike said, how much you paid could determine the quality of workmanship...it shouldn't, but often it does.

If your not in a position to re-weld the quarters in properly, maybe I can offer a solution that might be less expensive but, before I say any more, what kind of car is it and what kind of shape was it in before you started restoring it?

Ray
Old 03-07-2013, 07:51 AM

Last photo:

How about some photos, that would really help us help you. Don't get discouraged, often there are some tricks here and there that can get you right in the ball park. Post some photos showing all the gaps so we aren't guessing. With photos we will only bother you with exactly what you need to hear.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 03-07-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:55 AM

Thanks guys. The NOS quarters are on, they had the lid, I have pictures (but not digital) of the original quarters before restoration (my original car)and the gap seems to approach 1/4" and not the 1/8" that is official to the front hood. There's no maximum specification? Wow! This is a frame-off restoration. What can I do?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I may have a solution but, I would like to know what kind of car it is before we discuss something that may work...I have my reasons for needing to know what kind of car your working on.

Ray
Old 03-07-2013, 10:09 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Ray, it's a 70 Camaro.

I haven't worked on one in years so I don't know the answer to this question, but often the lid ins't a square, the leading edge (at the rear window) or the trailing edge (at the tail lamps) is not the same distance side to side.

This being said, moving the lid forward or rearward will change the gaps size. Lets say you have a large gap at leading edge too, and the lid is wider at the trailing edge, you move the lid forward towards the window and all three gaps would tighten! Now, if the lid is wider at the leading edge and you move it forward the gaps on the sides would get larger, understand?

Something may be able be done like that.

I know one thing, there ARE dimensions for these gaps in the original body manual for that car, you REALLY need to get one of these manuals if you are doing a restoration. I fought it, I thought that it was for dummies or something, then I found myself being a dummy with mechanical issues on one of my cars being am a bodyman and not a mechanic, so I picked up one of these manuals. I was blown away at how helpful it is when working on the body too, it is a MUST HAVE in my opinion when owning and working on one of these old cars.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-F-Body-...4ecbb5&vxp=mtr

As Hotrodders is the best hot rod forum on the net, Team Camaro is the best Camaro forum on the net and I suggest you go there and ask your Camaro specific questions. Team Camaro Technical Question & Answer Forum - Camaros.net I did a search on the subject over there and there are a TON of threads with a bunch of info for you.

Click on the following link.
http://www.camaros.net/forums/gtsear...248j6185920j14

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
laxnedw (04-03-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Thanks Brian...if only I would have taken the time re-read the thread....my bad. OK, if this isn't a super rare, Big Block or Z28 car...(Something that they didn't make to many of) then what you can do to enlarge a gap on your doors or your deck lid is to take a stainless steel welding rod...take off the coating and weld it to the lip or outside edge of the deck lid...these rods can be 1/8 of an inch wide when the coating is off and if you weld it onto both sides of the deck lid it will give you and extra 1/4 inch of deck lid to work with. After it's welded on, install the lid, adjusting it to give you your best fit. Grind away whatever you need to give you the gap you want, apply a little filler on the welds (both top and bottom of the deck lid), block, prime, block and paint.

If this is a super rare 70 Camaro, I would advise to have the quarters re-installed correctly to get your gaps. I've done this on several custom builds (usually pre-war cars), because they are customs it doesn't matter, gaps are what's more important than originality.

I hope this helps.

Ray

Tags
trunk lid clearance

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.