Hot Rod Forum banner

Body prep and tips for chevelle needed

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Grey80Ghost 
#1 ·
hi guys. I am restoring our family owned 1967 SS396 2 door Chevelle. the car has been painted about 4 times. and now i want to restore the car and start stripping the old paint off. and want to start from bare metal. Can u guys give me some tips and the steps involved so i make sure i get it right the first time. the body is solid and has a few small areas the need minor work. i am no expert but am willing to get the info i need because i am doing it my self. and maybe u can let me know what tools i may need too. thanks

#2 ·
I just striped the paint off a 67 stang. I had to get through 4 layers of paint and 3 layers of primer. The fastest and easiest way i found to get the paint off was with Aircraft Stripper" found at your local pepboys. Get the spray bottle and do 1 foot sections at a time with a razorblade. Switch the razor blade when using the blade holder compliments of homedepot and change the blades regularly.
Make sure to also wear a respirator , the aircraft stripper and primers are EXTREMELY harmful to your brain.
After you get most of the layers of paint off you can start sanding to see that shiny metal.

#3 ·
You can use stripper, yyou can use just a razor blade to strip it or you can sand it down. Once you get down to bare metal spray either a self etching primer or epoxy primer to protect the metal and keep rust from developing. As far as tools may I recommend a 5in DA palm sander. Easy to use and gets into tight place a little better than the conventional 6in DA with a handle. Also you'll need some sanding blocks and a long board. 3M makes some that are the best I've found (they're yellow). You local paint jobber should have these in stock and can tell you what product will work with what. Sounds like a family keeperr, good luck with the Chevelle.

#4 ·
This has all been covered many times on this board. Go into the knowledge base, you should find what you are looking for.

Everybody has a different system for removing old paint. Normally you can sand it off faster than striper will, then you still have to sand it.

The only time I would consider striper is if you have each piece on the bench, as the chemical residue is hard to get out of all the joints and seams. That can really screw up a paint job.

Which ever way you do it use a respirator, the dust and fumes will damage your lungs.

HTH
Good Luck
Troy

#5 ·
a little note on bare metal, use metal conditioner to stop flash rust from forming , again use a respirator and elbow high gloves , and goggles , that stuf will go through your skin and causes some nasty effects so be careful not to get it on your skin , use a scotch pad to rub it into the metal , then you will be ready to prime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.