Body Ripple - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2006, 02:32 PM

Last journal entry: 1959 Short Bed Fleet Side
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Body Ripple

OK, I am trying my hand at doing body work and my first attempt did not turn out as planned.

I have a chopped 1929 Model A and I have a lot of cleanup work to do where the top was welded back on and where the original open top was filled. I did some grinding this last weekend and got the really high spots knocked down. Then I used some bondo to fill the low spots and holes. Then I sanded, and sanded, and sanded. After many hours of sanding and a really sore shoulder, I have a smooth finish however, it is rippled (mostly the spots with bondo look lower than the pure metal spots. What can I do about this?

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2006, 02:40 PM

Last photo:

Use a long board and dont over sand. Also, when you get close prime the areas and use a guide coat before sanding. this will immediately tell you where your highs and lows are.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:20 PM

Don't try to fill individual low spots like whiskey dents and such. Prepare the top for filler and cover the entire top with a generous coat of your favorite waterproof body filler. Then grind the whole lid down to a smooth, shot a mist tell-tale paint coat on it, block it with a long board and see how it looks.
If done right, there will be nothing more than priming and painting to do.

If you try to fill indicidual dings, dents and so on you'll be forever doing it and still end up with a rippled lid or whatever.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:25 PM
Paintshop Dog

Last photo:

Yah, maybe try skiffing the panel. That roof isn't that big, so, I'd say wipe it complete with an even coat of metal glaze. Then as said block it. Cross-blocking is my method of choice. Run the block at a 45 degree angel from one corner to the opposite corner, turn the opposite direction and cross the passes you just made. When you start to see metal through the glaze slow down you should almost be there. Good Luck!
Old 11-21-2006, 06:05 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like a good candidate for polyester primer to me.
Like Evercoat Slick Sand or Featherfill G2. Then use a long board with 180 dry and sand in criss-cross motions. If you start to sand through, it's time for another coat. But you may not, as this stuff sprays on pretty thick. Guide coats can help but I have done it perfectly without. The 3M dry guide coat is the way to go tho if you are going to use it.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Paintshop Dog

Last photo:

A cheap can of spray-bomb is a much cheaper way to guide-coat. Just dust a mist coat of black over the panel. I've used the 3M dry guide-coat, it's not bad. The only advantage I could find with it, was if you've got pin-holes, they show right up. Other than that I found the stuff to be messy. If you do use the dry, I suggest scuffing over the panel quickly with something, it seems to go on better on a scratched surface. Good luck with it!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.