Body Shifted on Frame - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2004, 08:08 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

HELP - Body Shifted on Frame

I managed to put my 71 Chevelle up on a curb (first time driving rear wheel drive). While there was no frame, suspension (replaced it since then anyway), or axel damage done; the body shifted on me. I now have extreme wheel gap on one side (driver's), and virtuallly no gap on the other (passenger's). On top of that, while I had the rear end jacked up, the body shifted even more, so that now I can't open my passenger's door (hits front fender).

I'm in the process of changing out my body bushings to polygraphite. Right now I'm stuck on getting my last bolt out (that's another story). Anyway, Shouldn't I be able to shift my body back into place while replacing the bushings?

I plan on just (if I'm able to) shifting the body slowly, measuring both frame to body edge and wheel gap on both sides until straight.

Does this sound like the correct (or best) way to solve my problem? Any feedback would be appreciated.

HeftyP

Advertisement

Last edited by HeftyP; 08-27-2004 at 09:38 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2004, 04:01 PM

Last photo:

That sounds right for checking if the body/frame alignment, but you have to find where the shift occured;
Did the body bushings simply sheer sideways?
Did the body metal itself bend sideways?

Are you sure you didn't just bend a control arm? - becasue that would probably be the thing to go, not ALL 12 body mounts at the same time
Old 08-27-2004, 07:43 PM

I completely tore my suspension out after it happened. I had all the control arms blasted and pressed in polygraphite bushings. None of the arms were bent. The car sit completely level; it's only shifted to the driver's side.

I managed to get through replacing the bushings on the passenger's side today. The bolt right behind the wheel well wasn't anchored. I had to bust is out, the rest were easy. Anyway, from the way things look while starting the driver's side, I might be able to get the body shifted back.

I can still use any help. I'll be back at it in the morning.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.