Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Body Shop managers: Book time on on this fender / bumper job
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 08:06 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

save the bumper even if tabs are broken. Fix them and save tons of money. Replace the fender though. Just the dent itself in a shop atmosphere would call for it to be replaced but the location of the dent is why you should replace it. When it's deformed anywhere near the bumper like that it usually rolls downwards, affecting the gap/fitment to the bumper, headlight, and even the hood. You will also find a bent fender bracket.

I recently swapped out a support on a 07 Jetta and right away I told the boss the fender should be replaced cause it rolled, which is typical procedure if you ask me. He declined(customer pay) cause to the naked eye it looked like a small dent. so I had to bend the fender bracket, bend the area where the bumper mates to the fender, and roll it back over to fix the hood gap. It affected the hood gap cause the fender jamb area wasn't solid across the fender jamb, it has voids so in those areas where there was metal you can clearly see it deformed. So I had to roll it over on top without marring the paint. This was supposed to be a 1.5 hr fix but it turned out to be 2-3 hours to fit right and mocking up hood, bumper, lights, and then mud. This one affected everything which is on the extreme side, but anytime you're hit in that area it will at the very least leave a gap to your bumper. Sometimes it can be so bad you question whether or not it's a good thing to continously put wear on your tabs for the mock up involved. In any case, I personally like those jobs cause you have to figure it out yourself but it can be a headache when someone is expecting that aspect of the repair to go a little quicker or if you don't foresee it being an issue, but once you know to at least mock up your bumper and check fit it's not so bad.