Body welding tips / tricks ? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2009, 01:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Lincoln lied to you, I can't find "twenty-gauge" wire anywhere...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2009, 07:17 PM

Last photo:

Twenty Gauge is history and unless you just happen up on a left over spool you will not be able to get it anymore. The last E-Mail I had with them they assured me they were going to aggressively market it and agreed that JW Harris had "dropped the ball" as they put it and they intended to change strategy. This was not to be however and later I learned from someone else that also had been asking Lincoln about Twenty Gauge that the decision had been made to just drop it because it was a slow seller. This, IMHO, is a real loss because they almost certainly would have had a hot product there if they had of just gotten rid of that confusing name and educated their dealers a little better. I have used every common welding method and filler on the market to weld thin sheet metal and I can honestly say I don't think there is (was) anything else out there to compare with Twenty Gauge but I guess it doesn't matter now.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:18 AM

Last photo:

I also E-mailed Lincoln about the Twenty Gauge wire... I guess they feel that there's limited demand for it. I think the problem was mostly poor marketing and lack of advertising. I'm surprised that no other welding supply company has stepped up to fill the void.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:57 PM

Last photo:

Read on another board:

".....Years ago I read somewhere that Ron Covell recommends Esab Spoolarc Easy Grind. Tried it, been using it for light gauge stuff ever since. It does grind more easily that most mig welds, afterwards the bead can be worked with hammer and dolly like the surrounding metal. ......"

Anyone know where to buy 'Spoolarc Easy Grind" then ?? Online ??

probably .023" right ???

Thanks, I'm about to ditch this Harbor Freight cheapo welder. But I ought to give it one last college try...
Old 04-29-2009, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

Easy grind is just that, easy to grind, but it is not necessarily a better or easier to use welding wire. IMO the crap should be out-lawed because the very soft low strength filler makes for a relatively weak weld that looks like any other weld, this becomes a problem when it is used for something other than body work. It is plenty strong enough for body panels and I am in no way trying to say it should not be used for that but the problem is that once it is loaded on the machine, people being what they are, it will all too often end up being used on frames, suspensions, steering parts, etc, where it could very well pose a real danger. Junk hardware store bolts/nuts are a problem enough when used where grade 5 or 8 fasteners are required without adding something that will have no markings or other warnings on it that identify it as unsuitable for the task. Personally I can not see a real need for it anyway since a proper weld using conventional wire will need little grinding and with the right technique that grinding simply is not a problem. IMHO skip the Easy Grind and use a good MIG wire that will be safe to use in most circumstances because EASY Grind is, again JMO, a cure for a problem that should be addressed properly by honing technique and not by using an inferior strength product.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:20 PM

Last photo:

well oldred,

I can see your point. Probably a technique problem...

From my perspective, I've found that most any task in Body and Paint can be 'self-taught' with a little reading. I like that, that's the way I operate. Welding is NOT one of those tasks. I've not had the opportunity to live within commuting distance of a trade-school or community college to teach me welding so far. I have a piece-of-crap Harbor Freight welder and I'm planning on a better one (but the wife is screetching) (Hobart or Miller) to see if that helps. But right now I'm frustrated because my welding looks like crap and It's not one of those things you can grasp from online or a book it seems...

Thought I'd give a try to a different wire, but maybe that's not the real answer... My rocker has a dime size hole in it and my bedside has a lot of cracks around the spare-tire thingy... My door needs a half-skin and I want to get rid of the gas-fill hole...

Thanks for your thoughts...
Old 04-29-2009, 06:11 PM

Last photo:

The thing about Easy Grind is that it may be easier to clean up (grind) but it don't really make a better easier to do weld, in other words it is not necessarily easier to weld with. Going to a Hobart or Miller welder from the HF machine could make a difference and with a bit of practice you should not have a problem because after a while it sort of "clicks" and becomes easy to do. I know that it can get really frustrating trying to weld thin panels and at times it may even seem nearly impossible but honestly it will become easier the more you do it.

Somebody at Lincoln must be just plain dumb because if there ever was a product that made welding body panels easy it was Twenty Gauge! I just can,t for the life of me understand why they would not market something like that because in spite of what they apparently believe the market IS there if they would just get the product and the info out.

Last edited by oldred; 04-29-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:25 PM

Last photo:

Okay, I went out and re-assembled the HF machine (bottle, etc..) from moving. I tried with no real good success again on my 2 sheetmetal pieces. then I thought maybe I'd play with the wire-feed speed. So I cranked it up. It began popping, it was way worse. This is with a 'pulled' pressure of 25# on my regulator. Okay so maybe the amps are too low...

BANG !! I've got bacon-sizzling sound now !! I may replace my welder one day, but not right now, the dang thing works. It took a bit of grinding to get them flat, so I've got some more practicing to do, but they had good penetration at the end, so I'm on to something.

I need to order a rocker or a front fender lower patch to try out.

Thanks for getting me frustrated enough to try it again. And I wish they had that twenty-gauge stuff.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:02 PM

Last photo:

The welds themselves DO grind away very hard. I'm using an electric Dewalt high-speed grinder (4" ?) that has a stone on it I got from Dad. Maybe I'm using the wrong tool for the job, but it takes a lot of grinding just to level a few 1/2" beads...

Maybe a flap disc or regular pneumatic angle-grinder is next on my list...
Old 04-29-2009, 09:27 PM

Last photo:

Whatever you grind with BE CAREFUL! It is very easy to warp sheetmetal with a grinder and more than one person has managed to do an excellent job of keeping the warpage down while welding only to warp the dickens out of it when grinding! I personally prefer those flap discs or a flexible sanding disc, I never use a stiff grinding wheel but then that's just me so use what works best for you.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:01 PM

Last photo:

there's so many posts containing the welding wire "twenty-gauge" that I lost track of all of them. Anyway I found a 10# spool for $36 plus shipping. Now I need some sort of adapter to make it rotate smoothly on the small-post in my HF welder. Glad I found some though...

The 33# spools are available everywhere it seems, but they ain't gonna fit the Hobby Welders...
Old 05-08-2009, 12:09 AM
build it like you like them

Last journal entry: buggmann stilling looking
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

buggamnn

hey you might can try this
as far as some thing to treat
the metal after you weld it
were you want it they used it
on trucks they say it can last for
years here is a link so you can find
it www.picklex20.com hope this helps
Old 05-08-2009, 07:11 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I saw some Twenty Guage at my welder supplier today when I was ordering a new .030 wire roller. I'll beat feet back tomorrow and pick up a 10# spool and give it a try. This will be cheaper than buying a .023 roller!! I just got a new, high horsepower welder that would make a good welder out of a novice. It is a Thermal Arc 251 Fabricator and is it a fine, precision piece of equipment!! I looked at a bunch of different welders, but this is a horse for the bucks. I have .035 wire in it right now and have done ok on 18 ga metal, but know .030 will be a snap. It is the smoothest feeding machine I have ever used and the big chart on the back side of the wire access door lets you select the right settings at a glance. So far, they beat my guess work by a mile!!! Yesterday, I welded some 1/2 inch bar stock together and the penetration was awesome and laid down a beautiful bead. It wants me to weld at a faster pace than I am used to so I have to dial it down a notch to adapt to my pace.

Trees
Old 05-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,231 Times in 1,084 Posts
Here's a short article on mig welding basics....

Click here for the "Basics of Basics" MIG welding

Brian
Old 05-09-2009, 03:48 PM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

In my journal I have some pics of cutting out the rusted areas and making / installing patch panels. It is not difficult you will be able to do it. Here is a pic of the latest patch panel I made and am installing. I still have to finish spot welding it. Good luck and learn by doing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of 100_1416.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	38100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of 100_1417.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	38101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of 100_1421.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	38102  

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.