body work... HELP... a lil sceerd here - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Trique Manufacturing

Wiki Edits: 0

It has already been said, but the best thing is hands-on experience. That is how I learned. I went to school for a while, but had to quit due to bills, kids wanting to eat, etc. etc. I started as a detailer at a body shop and worked my way up. Learned more about bodywork there than I ever could have at school.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2009, 06:04 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

thats true, but the nice thing about school is.....you cant get fired if something comes a little slow...like sanding bondo,THAT gave me fits, then one day I met a old body guy that showed me a couple of tricks and it all came together in one day.Nothing to it now...
Old 10-26-2009, 07:19 PM

Last photo:

"-Stud welder/puller (H & S Autoshot "Uni-spotter"). I just got this actually ... and it's an amazing toy

So what else should a guy have? "

They make a pop-rivet gun with a plastic basket for the front that will pull the nails very easily while the basket holds the panel down. Invented for doing hail stone damage, works great for bike tanks. Mine says 'Shoot Suit' on it but cannot find it on the web, will check the model # tomorrow.

Be careful of starting fires with the nail gun, very easy to do. Someone also makes the same idea but uses hot-glue to bond the fittings to the panel, I'll check the manufacturer tomorrow.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
.A piece of art,makes me wonder what their serious work looks like.
Here are a few things I have seen, one guy makes Jaguar body's, Randy made a complete willies body from new metal, Aaron, made different model t fenders and doors, I have seen a Ferrari body 90% done.
You name it and they make as there is no part shortage.

Best statement I ever heard was Randy told me one time, that if you make a panel, it is not done right until any flaw can be blocked out with 2 coats of primer.

There is no BSin going on at those meets and best part, they will drop everything to help a new guy make something.

Having leaded things for years, I thought I was the best metal finisher around, after the first visit and spending not even 30 minutes there I knew i knew nothing about metal finishing.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:46 PM

Boy you said it Barry...The metal shaping session I just went to just made me realize how little I knew.this guy builds airplanes...no lead,bondo, primer,just shiny metal...he had a suit of armor chest plates that he used as examples of what could be done,tools are important but you should see what he could do with a tree stump and apiece of wood.He pounded out a bowl in about 5min. and I was able to do a compound curve that reversed direction (harley fender) by the end of the day.For me thats like eating just one M&M i got a taste now I want the whole bag...BTW welcome to the site "old body man"
Old 11-08-2009, 09:03 AM

Last photo:

Hi all,

for the pop-rivet gun to pull studs see:

Shoot Suit #5800

You WANT one, great for bike tanks

usual disclaimer, I have nothing to do with the auction just found it.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:24 AM
boatbob2

Welders.......

Hi,the tools youve bought are fine,to get started doing body work with. my only addition to your welder is... the gas set up,with it,you can use .023 wire and tips. you do not have a MIG welder.

,you have a flux core welder,the FLUX is inside the wire. it is REALLY not suitable for body work. the wire used for flux core is .035 thick,it takes too much heat to weld with,the welds look like crap,and are too thick also. and you will burn thru the panels very easily.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:14 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

gas tank fix

My neighbor just fills a dented tank with water and sets it outside. when the water freezes it expands an pushes out the dent. some times he has to do it a couple of times. some times he distorts the tank.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:42 AM

What does he do if its not cold out????? Since it doesnt get THAT cold here in Ga, heres what we do on a dented motorcycle tank Just make a cap with an air fitting pressurize the tank and tap around the dent,repeat and increase the pressure 20lbs at a time and "PING"it pops right out.works every time.... "Caution"...You have to use a Chinese compressor for those Jap bikes (rice rockets)....
Old 11-09-2009, 06:34 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

freezer pop out

an old refrigerator in the shop that will still freeze ice cubes will work . but I wouldn't use it for food again.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.