Body work, how to make it perfect? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 01:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Body work, how to make it perfect?

Ive worked on cars all my life, my father has a auto collision repair shop so fixing and framming a car is not a biggie or small dents but when it comes to a classic car that has some what of damage all around the car i jus cant seem to make a perfect body or as stright as possible.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,168 Times in 1,030 Posts
Click here for the "Basics of Basics" to body filler.

This is a procedure taught to me by a bodyman when I was a young punk. It changed my career, litterally. I am so thankful for the kindess he showed me in teaching me everyday. I wrote the "basics" long ago and as I explain at some point when I updated it I don't use the 36 anymore and hardly ever even 40. But the concept is still the same.

I have taught it to others with great success, even guys who had been doing it for a living for years but never quite had the knack for filler.

One of the biggest things about this procedure is when that last skim coat is being blocked and you hit metal, it's ok, as long as that metal you are seeing is surrounded by a "transparent" filler. If you have blocked the filler so much that the metal has a very sharp transission from filler to metal, this means the metal is now high and your panel isn't flat. You can LOOK at a worked panel and tell if its' lumpy. If you see a bunch of metal poking out here and there with sharpe transissions from filler to metal, they are high, that is all there is to it. It should be a transparent filler where it is sanded so thin you can see thru it.

Brian
Old 02-24-2012, 03:07 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

passing this along as it may be of help to you..

Sam

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com...ct%20paint.htm
Old 02-24-2012, 03:24 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

Something that I learned years ago is don't be afraid to go well out pass your dent with your final coat of mud. Even if its a small dent don't try to just fill a small little area. The best and cheapest sanding block you can get is a paint stick rapped with sand paper.That goes for final mud work and primer.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

on those sanding sticks I get rolls of the sticky back paper and cut it to fit my sanding sticks in the length I need..also works on a round dowel for those concave curve places..
just another way to do it..

Sam
Old 02-24-2012, 03:44 PM

Last photo:

That's what I do but for curves I use a old auto trader magazine rolled up and rapped with 2"tape and stick my sand paper to that.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:43 AM

Body work, how to make it perfect?

To create a perfect flat straight 'mirror' paint finish, you need the right tools and lots & lots of sand paper in various grits. Know the right technique; using a long hard board at 45 degrees in long crisscross cross hatch pattern sliding the board over the apex of the contour of the panels. When your sandpaper stops cutting put a new piece on the board. Don't scrub with worn out sandpaper, you will only create lows that you can't feel and can't see until the paint goes on. A long hard board is the best tool for cutting down the highs without digging into the lows. Most of all, get your favorite music going on the radio - it helps to relax when you are sanding and blocking - you will get a better sense of the contour of the panels. Also, there are some pretty good demos on YouTube.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:35 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Some of us will never get it right, no matter how good our techers are! I am one of those who just doesn't have the touch to get show quality straightness on my bodywork.
I just spent two months doing what was pretty average repairs to my hotrod, and getting it as close as I could before having a professional shoot my new paint. He still said he'd have about 4 hrs work to get it that next step closer before painting.
I don't have a problem with letting a proffessional take over when I reach that point. I can't let my ego get in the way of something as important as a great paint job. I can do almost anything else on my car, so I figure if I pay a pro to tidy up my bodywork, then that's fine by me.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:38 PM

Last photo:

It's not rocket science all you have to do is practice -practice and then practice some more.Keep running you hand over it checking until you get it. As I told a shop owner one time at a job interview when he asked how much experience I had I told him gallons and gallons of it.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:47 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swvalcon
It's not rocket science all you have to do is practice -practice and then practice some more.Keep running you hand over it checking until you get it. As I told a shop owner one time at a job interview when he asked how much experience I had I told him gallons and gallons of it.
I'm the same age as you, and I'm still trying, and still not getting it perfect! Not sure how many more "good" years I've got at this trying stuff.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427
I'm the same age as you, and I'm still trying, and still not getting it perfect! Not sure how many more "good" years I've got at this trying stuff.

You are your own self critic, do what you can, nothing wrong with turning it over to a pro - to finish the prep work before paint goes on. The idea is get it in paint so you can enjoy that 427

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.