Body work and paint pricing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2005, 09:50 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Body work and paint pricing

I have a 79 camaro that im currently trying to rebuild a little. THe floor pans are partially rusted through. The trunk center is missing due to a previous fuel cell, now the stock tank is held in with a bungie cord on one side. the rear quarter panels are rusted right behind the tires and one rocker panel has a little rust. If i was to completely tear this car down, (remove interior, trim, weather stripping, engine, trans, etc etc.) and take it to a body shop bare, how much would it usually cost to do patch the quarters, weld in new floors, fix any other rust and do a good complete paint job, iinterior and exterior? I know it depends on how much work really has to be done, but could someone possibly give me an estimate? thanks for any help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2005, 06:09 AM
Last photo:

No disrespect meant, but if you are asking how much this work will cost...you probably can't afford it. It is impossible to give an estimate from a description. One would have to visually inspect the car. Of course labor times could be extracted from the flat rate manual, but that is only a guide.

Vince
Old 02-09-2005, 07:00 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I tend to agree with 302/Z28. Your costs could be anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars depending on the extent of the rust damage and how much sheet metal has to be replaced. You would probably be better off to spend $300 or $400 on a mig welder and learn how to do it yourself. That way you'll save the most expensive part.... labor.

Centerline
Old 02-09-2005, 12:25 PM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Check my Project Journal.

'73 Z-28
Rear quarters, outer wheelhouses, trunk extensions and the back panel (the panel with the tail lights) : $1,500.00 for JUST the metal. 32 hours MINIMUM to take it down so you can put the new parts on. Now I have to rehang everything. NO CLUE how long. Probably every bit off 32 man hours. Paint supplies, additional labor to block out and paint.... Well over $10-12K for a car that won't push $8,000, IF your lucky.

Why am I doing it? Its my brother's car, and I couldn't talk him out of it.

Here's some statistics from Scottsdale:
'77 Z-28 $6,000 reserve- no sale (needed nothing)
'71 RS/SS 396 $12,000 (mint shape)
'80 WS-6 Transam $6,000
'76 T/A 455 $6,000 reserve- no sale (B-J #2 car)

Unless you were conceived in this car, and want to be buried in it when you die, you are better off using it to learn on. Do it yourself, and MAKE patches out of 20 ga. steel. Rattle can it, or learn to paint on it. Or drive the doors off.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:36 PM

Last photo:

I had planned on fixing the floors myself, but i dont really want to mess with the quarters, since they are "visible" I plan on completely rebuilding the car. I plan on having the subframe powder coated along with the rest of the front suspension components. Like i said i was going to tear it all down and just bring in like, the frame and sheet metal, with nothing else on it, no bumpers, lights, gas tank, etc. Im not too worried about spending a whole lot of money on the car, heck maybe not 12 grand just for body work, but ive already put in a $2000 rearend, and having a 6-$7000 dollar motor built. Its just that right now i dont have a shop, or tools to do any kind of body work so i just thought i would ask. Rear patch panels are only about 40-50 bucks, and other than that it just needs a trunk center and maybe one or two other small patches elsewhere. If i could just get the body smooth, i would put it all back together myself. . Let me just ask this, how much does a good full body paint job usually run. (interior, trunk, underside, engine bay, etc.)??anyway, thanks again for any help
Old 02-09-2005, 06:51 PM

Guessing complete paint price is the same as guessing bodywork price. There are no set "paint job" prices. Bottom end(and I do mean bottom end!) 1500.00 upto infinity. This is a question asked that has NO answer. The true answer comes when you pick the car up after it is finished. I, and many others, would love to help you out but it is an impossible question to answer. That is why bodyshops write estimates and not exacts. Sorry man!
Old 02-09-2005, 07:11 PM

Last photo:

THanks guys, i understand what your saying, ive never actually went to a body shop or anything and talked to anyone. I just thought id ask. I understand though that you cant really give a set price for anything cuzz ya never really know how much work is going to be involved. One of these days, if i ever get a shop built, ill get around to tearing it apart and stuff. For now ill just leave it Black primer, stick a hot motor in it, and drive the hell out of it. thanks again guys

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.