body work primer type - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2010, 09:51 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

body work primer type

I have a question about bosy and paint. I remember years ago I had some body work done at a shop on my 66 mustang. I only wanted the bisy work done as I was still working on other things and paint would be later. I wanted the car back primered which that's what I got. Before I could get the car painted by the person that did the body work, the guy lost the shop and moved out of state.

Long storey short, I wanted another shop to paint the car, but they insisted I have the body work done all over again because the first shop used the wrong primer. I think my first guy was spraying dupont, and the second used PPG. Does this sound right. It's been a while so I can't really remember.

Having body work don on new car and don't want to make the same mistake. What primer do I want. The car is originally white and I would like to leave it original color. Car is a 64 mercury comet conv. Red interior. Like other car, not ready to paint. Just body and primer for now.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2010, 09:58 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

You want to start out with epoxy primer. Don't worry about the brand name.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos9
Long story short, I wanted another shop to paint the car, but they insisted I have the body work done all over again because the first shop used the wrong primer. I think my first guy was spraying dupont, and the second used PPG. Does this sound right........
I'd find another shop. There's no reason to re-do perfectly acceptable
body work. All that's needed is to block sand a guide coat to make sure
everything's straight, then prime and paint with whatever the new shop
want's to use.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:45 AM
Last photo:

If you or the shop is worried about the existing primer there is no reason to re-do everything. Block sand the whole car down and apply several wet coats of SPI epoxy primer. It will seal the existing primer and provide an excellent base to either build more primer on or painting over.

Vince
Old 10-22-2010, 10:18 AM

Last journal entry: 50 Ply wagon
Last photo:

If the first shop used epoxy primer, then applying another brand epoxy primer is of no consequence. But if the primer is not epoxy based, sometimes there can be a problem with different companies paints and primers mixing with other brand names.
I would do what 302 says...........but whatever brand topcoat you are going to use , I would use that brand name primer as well.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.