Body work (RUST) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2003, 10:26 PM
Luv the smell of burnt RICE

Wiki Edits: 0

Body work (RUST)

on my 1979 Chevy 4x4 it only has rust on one panel... drivers side box.... rust spot about 6 x 3" rust spot.. and a little on the fender well.. me noing nothin about body work i need some advice with repairing this on my own.. i can do sanding and painting myself.. concidering my truck is spray painted.. anyhow.. but i hate rust.. so wuts the best idea to fix this.. sand it down.. put some bondo on it.. then sand it again? or do u cut the rust out??.. but then how do u repair it? sheet metal on the back side? and how would u get in there to weld it on? then bondo over top right? im em soo confused with body work.. sorry for the confusing question.. just thought i'd ask..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2003, 03:28 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

Sometimes you can get by a year or two with a fiberglass patch from the backside provided you can get to it anduse rust killer such as Rust Mort as well. Other times cutting back to rust free weldable metal is the best.

Here's a link that shows a weld type fix http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showthread.php?t=700
Old 10-03-2003, 04:53 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Trav...I imagine you are talking about the cab corners rusting out. If one is doing it the other is probably not too far behind. You can purchase cab corners (if that is what it is). I would do that, cut out the old and replace with new and never have to worry about it.

Kevin
Old 10-03-2003, 08:23 AM

Last photo:

Check out a JC-Whitney Book, they sell "patch panels" for GM trucks and about anything else ever made. You can get away with using steel rivets to attach the new repair panel. You can put the new panel right over the rusty one or cut out some of the offending metal(preferred) before attaching panel. I always have flat sheet metal laying around to form my own panels(cheaper) but it can be time consuming and a little frustrating for the novice.

Countersunk rivets work best but standard short grip steel rivets will work if you grind the tops of the heads down a little before slathering on some body filler. Use plenty of rivets and the seam won't crack the filler after it's painted, works really well if you can't get it welded. Don't use aluminum rivets as the "galvanic" reaction they have with steel will cause the body filler to blister up after a while.

Grind and fill never works out, put new metal in where there's rot!
Old 10-03-2003, 06:02 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

If I didn't have a better way than riveting patch panels on, I wouldn't waste my time replacing them, or I'd have it done by someone else. If you want to do it right, get patch panels and cut out the old and weld in the new. If you want a temp patch, grind away as much of the rust you can and use fiber glass.
Old 10-04-2003, 03:23 PM

I think im startin to understand.. for kevin45. actually its not he cab corners.. the guy i baught the truck off of was a body man.. so im told.. the whole front end and cab are rust free.. its just the one side of the box thats startin to rust out.. thats the only reason y i wana fix it.. theres no rust any where else.. and its really ugly.. well my truck aint nothin special to strart with.. anyways.. i don't have a welder...thats the sh*ty part.. so i might go with the fider glass way? or even rivets.. not sure wut u guys mean with the rivets tho.. won't they show? and even if u do grind it down they how is it held on then? also.. if i do grind the rust out.. its gona be a big whole... this is wut i want tho right? cuz its not only rusted.. bye startin to get a 1x1" hole, thanx for the replys to guys.. i no its a pain to try to teach someone how to do somethin they have never done before..
Old 10-04-2003, 08:38 PM

You can use a panel adhesive for putting the new metal in. I used it on my last project to install lower quarters and i am sold on it. it has been 2 years and no problems yet. A lot of the old guys in the bodywork trade told me the adhesive was a joke but some are afraid to try new stuff.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:40 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Bigjak has a point. I have never personally used the stuff, but the manufacturers are using it to install roof panels and the like. I have seen the body men fighting to get those panels off. They really stick. All you would need to do is cut out the rusted area, use a flanging tool and glue in a patch panel. It does need to be held tight in place until it sets up, but does get around the problem of no welder.
Old 10-05-2003, 02:31 PM

Thats more like it for me.. i think i might give it a shot.. but wut would be the best way to cut the rust out? i got a bit on my fender well and some on the near the top of the back of the box..
Old 10-06-2003, 04:24 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Cut any old rust out that you have. If not, it will continue to rust. Also coat any bare edges.

Kevin
Old 10-06-2003, 11:27 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Rust is like cancer, if you don`t cut it all out it will return.The only way to repair it right is to weld a patch in, Glued in, an rivets will crack from body flex and moisture, if you do it. do it right. HTH

Good Luck
Troy

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.