Body work vs. painting parts - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 05:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Body work vs. painting parts

Hi all, just a question about best order for body work on a 65 T-Bird car I'm starting to restore. I've seen articles on body repair and painting, where they show all the body work completed prior to painting. But I will be replacing the rear quarter panels (full), passenger door, passenger fender and want to coat the underside with a rubber coating for protection prior to installation. I guess my thoughts are if I'm removing body parts for either replacement or for rust removal, wouldn't it be easier to have the pieces painted at that time? Yes, you would need to take care when re-installing the panels not to screw up the paint. I mean there's the hood, cowel, fender, doors, quarter panels, trunk, etc. that can be removed to work on easier.

I did pick up a sandblaster at Harbor Freight and 3 different medias, aluminum oxide, glass beads and walnut pieces. I have to say that the surge tank came out great after using the aluminum oxide. But I read not to use that on body panels due to the heat. Walnut pieces was the best to use since it doesn't build up heat so the panel won't develope a wave look. With so many small pieces that need to have rust removed (door hinges, front springs, etc.), taking things apart seems a likely way to go.

Any experienced thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've read several of the tech articles, especially the one on rusted bolts. I tried using a torch to loosen one difficult bolt to no avail. Guess still too much of a restore newby. Ended up sawzalling the bolt off, messed up the fender splash guard, and picked up a used one on ebay for 10 bucks.

Anyway, thanks for the opportunity to ask advice!

Desade

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2007, 07:31 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

The problem is the replacement panels will need to be "fitted" to your car. Most of the time replacement panels will need some adjustment to get good alingment. Your better off doing that before you paint them.

Typically, you can paint body parts in a solid colors and reassemble, but custom colors like metallics and candies can look different depending on what anglethey are sprayed at so you would want to spray the whole car at once if using that type of color to avoid stripes or two tone panels.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:53 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

If you are doing major replacements of fenders , quarters, doors, etc; you will be taking off parts several times during the restoration. Like when you do quarters, the door needs to be on and in the right exact spot, and you won't know the door is correct, until the fender goes on, then you really need to try the hood to see if the fender(s) is adjusted correctly.

If you skip these fitting tests, the car will not go back together with correct gaps. If the quarters are welded on wrong, the project will be doomed.

I agree with color mismatch; I've had that happen with factory mixed gallons of base white 8000 from PPG. It is barely noticable, but "I" can see it.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:56 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
As the others have said, you will want to wait until you have all the parts fit before painting.

Here is an article on trialfitting parts (click here) And here is an article on painting cars in parts or all together. Click here

Brian
Old 10-01-2007, 10:02 AM

Thanks all for the advice. It helps to get proper direction before I make some dumb mistake. This is a great site and the quick followup comments by members is extremely helpful!
Old 10-01-2007, 11:01 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

What alotof us are doing now is to clean the pieces that come off the car and put them in epoxy primer. That way the rust issues are taken care of.

when the car is all back together then scuff the epoxy and carry on with the paint..

Sam
Old 10-01-2007, 01:51 PM

Last photo:

Still would be a good idea to "trim" the parts out while you have them off the car, i.e. painting the backs and edges. This would make for a better looking job.

Jamie
Old 10-01-2007, 02:20 PM
See project in Photo Album

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieK
Still would be a good idea to "trim" the parts out while you have them off the car, i.e. painting the backs and edges. This would make for a better looking job.

Jamie
That is what worked best for me. Painted the backs and edges with panels off, fixed the obvious exterior flaws, then put my cab and front clip together and continued with build primer / blocking / paint. Then I fixed the box and tailgate as one unit through to finish paint.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.