Body work - where to start - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2005, 02:35 PM
Dazed and Confused

Last journal entry: Trunk Part 21
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Body work - where to start

Hello all -

I've been lurking around on this board for a while, taking in the great info that can be found here !!

Anyways, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel in building my shop (finishing drywall next week ) and should be ready to bring the '64 Impala convertable in from storage. Once I get started (hopefully full blown in April) you'all are gonna see me in here A LOT!!!

I'm planning on doing a frame-off restoration and have seen from different sources that it is best to do the sheet metal work while the car is still on the frame. The idea being when the body is lifted off the frame all the panels have been set according to how the car sits on the frame. I realize that a convertable is going to require some additional bracing/cross members welded into the "cab" to prevent sag and twist.

I would like to do a chemical dip on the body. It seems to me that the chem dip would come before any bodywork, which would require the body to come off the frame. Hence, there is kind of a chicken and an egg scenerio. What comes first?

Any help is appreciated... Thanks!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2005, 03:16 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Before you get to far in, check out your rocker panels real good. The 58-64s have extra bracing in there, as do most ragtops, I would imagine.

Also, The "X" frames were known for getting soft over the years.

The body mounts by the gas tank were known to rust out.

Scared yet?

My 62 had all of these problems, but not to a great degree. I fixed it all 15 years ago, and has been fine since. I did not however take it off the frame.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:00 PM
Running on empty

Last journal entry: More pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I am helping my brother in law do his Chevelle SS rag top and the first order of business for us was to replace the trunk floor, which by the end of the week should be done. the next thing we do is the quarter panels and then he can take the body off the frame. He wanted to take the body off and put it on a rotisserie and then do the body work, that would have been a big no no. I don't know how much body work you have but if you are replacing any panels replace them before you take the body off the frame. To tell you the truth I'm not sure if we should even put the convertible on a rotisserie, has anyone done it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.