Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Bodyshop Seem Dead-set on Using Etch Primer
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 02:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

To tell you the truth before I started using the epoxy over the bare steel, I have used the etch primer on quite a few cars. Now I can see the benifits of using the epoxy versus the etch. But does that now mean I will have to restrip and repaint all those cars I did not use epoxy on..............no not by a long shot. The etch will work as a lot of guys still do it that way. The cars I have used it on myself still look fine and do not have any issues with, and this is years (some as much as ten) later. I just started a new project that was in primer when it came in, the problem is when it left the last bodyshop, 7 or 8 years ago it has developed a lot of rust coming through the primer. So it must be all taken down and started fresh as I WILL not go over all that rust. And stripping this car some of it was etch primed and some just a 2K. And even with a good paint stripper the etch primer is very hard to get off.