bodywork - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 01:51 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

bodywork

doing some body work on top of spi epoxy and after reading some old posts I have some questions. I am using evercoat z-grip body filler, I am knocking it down with 80 grit then finishing it with 120. When would I use finishing glazes or is this necessary? I've now covered the panel with 2k fill primer. Should I have used metal glaze before this? Can I just use the body filler to skim coat?

thanks for the help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 04:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Either way. If you get you mudwork finished off well with the z grip, no reason you would have to use a glaze or finishing filler. I believe that the finishing fillers are the only type recommended to use over sanded paint or a primer other then epoxy ie, urethane primer, and in moderation,not too thik of coat, like for example you find some pinholes or something in your filler primer to fill or area thats a little low. You certainitly can use regular filler to skim coat as well, many do, and I don't think the old timers had 2k spot puttys and glazes way back when. The reason many use glaze or finishing filler as that they typically apply smoother and sand easier.
Since it sounds like you already have urethane primer on, I'd probably use a glaze of finishing filler if you even need it. If you did a decent job finishing you mudwork, you probably won't need it, and round or two of block sanding and reapplying you urethane primer will be all that needed, other then maybe fill a pinhole or something here or there. Normally when people talk about skim coating, they are talking about applying a thin tight coat over the bodyfiller, when its pretty much blocked straight, to fill the courser sanding scratches and pinholes or minute lows that may still be in the mudwork, before any fill primer is even applied.
Other then that, sounds like your on the right track with what you've done and your grits.
Guide coat and block your fill primer witharound 180 and see how its looking and how straight its feeling. Maybe a round or two of blocking will be all you need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.