bodywork burnout - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2006, 08:11 AM

Last journal entry: My cousin vision
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Just hang in there it's worth it in the end.Ain't nothimg like see something u done yourself finished!You can always stand back and say I did that

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2006, 09:03 AM

Last photo:

We are in the same boat. I recreated the spare tire well, adapted lower quarter panels on both sides, made a new side window channel, and closed up all the trim holes on my 65. Its been about 8 months of work. The converter on mine took a dump as well. I went to a local car show a few weeks ago and saw some wagons there, they really lit my fire.

Keep thinking of how nice it will be when its done.

Chopper
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65wagon.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	12314  
Old 05-19-2006, 09:49 AM

re. project burnout.

I think all of us have been in the same spot you are. For me it is two things lack of patience and not particularly liking this part of the build! I have tried over the years to cultivate relationships with people who like to do bodywork but they all have more work than they can do. When I get to point that I don' feel like working on the car I usually go to my other car and do something to it. Fortunately it isn't to the finish body work stage. I have found that there are things I'm not really good at and these things tend to be the things I'm least likely to enjoy doing. One thing that really motivates me is having one of my friends work on his car in my shop. I have a really big shop and find that having the company is a good motivater. He and his wife are building a studey pickup and I get to help them do the things I like and they help me with the things I don't. In my opinion nothing is worse than doing things wrong the first time and then having to do it over because it turns out looking like crap. This is how alot of us learn to do the things we do though. This site is very helpful when it comes to preventing doing things over, but ultimately you have to learn these skills or cough up the money for the pros to do it . Looks to me like you're doing OK. The longest trip starts with the first step and all of those steps aren't going to be downhill!
Old 05-19-2006, 10:17 AM

I was burned out too on my project. I took a couple of months off and now I am back to working on it at least 2 hours a night. At the end of the week I have alot done.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:20 AM
Lovin' The Cruzin'

Last photo:

re: bodywork burnout

I know the worst thing I did on previous projects (by the way - ones I never finished), was to have an "all or nothing mentality". That means I figured up all the parts I'd need to do the vehicle, then get frustrated as I slowly realized that I could never afford it

When I got my '64 Corvair convertible I purposely considered it as a long-time hobby. Sure, I want to drive it TOMORROW, but that just isn't realistic. I have learned from the past to get small projects done well, then it gives me time to shop for used parts, or save up for new stuff. I'm having a blast finding ways to save money (like having a guy just give me a Corvair parts car!) while still doing a quality job

Enjoy each step! Remember, a lot of little projects add up to one big project
Old 05-20-2006, 09:04 AM

Last journal entry: 99 soft tail standard I painted
Last photo:

Hey man,this allways helps me,or atleast it did when it was just a hobby anyway.I know we all have a busy life and all,but devote all of your spare time to it.This means weekends,nights,afternoons,lunch breaks.....what ever.I am naturaly ambitious,so I allways set a goal for the week that is way out of reach,but sometimes,I actualy do it and that makes me feel realy good!.I did a 62 impala when I was 18 or 19.I did EVERYTHING by hand,at that time I didnt even have air tools.It was hard work,sometimes I hated it,but I allways kept my eye on the prize.I too had a dead line I ways trying to make,so I worked myself to death to get the car to that show.I missed my dead line,but not by much,so the dead line helped me get motivated.So get back out there and get to work!.....lol.Just put your head down and make it happen,then show us all how good it looks!GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

BTW....Im not sure if I "coined" this phrase or not,but I allways tell people that I am "to stupid to quit".They think its funny,but I take it to heart.JMO
Old 05-20-2006, 10:33 AM

Last photo:

bodywork burnout

Hang in there you'll get it! I agree with the guy above about doing one panel at a time. If you try to swallow a cow whole you will choke to death. But who says you can't eat it one steak at a time.

It is really easier today then it was years ago because of the good two part primers that are now available. In using them you can get the panel close but it does'nt have to be perfect. I do all of the panels one at a time and I finish them close but not perfect. A lot of the new primers allow you to put a skim coat of filler or catalyst activated finish putty right over the top of them. Works great.

Get all of your panels close, one at a time and put a thin coat of primer on them one at a time. When you have been all the way around car come back and do a skim coat of each panel one at a time and block them out and prime them one at the time. You can use different color to tent the primer as you go. This way you can see progress and you can classify each color is a different stage. It also helps out when you do your final block sanding. And it will also help when your girlfriend/wife sees it because she will be less likely to say something stupid like "Well I thought you were through with that panel." If she does happen to say something like this just tell her you have to use different color primer because each one is a different high tech type coating and they all work together to form a chemical bond and if you don't do it this way it will all blow off the first time you take it down the road.

It worked for me and when we were at the first car show, me and a buddy over heard her talking to one of her girlfriends about how special the paint is and how it requires several coats of different colors to achieve the look and how each coat reacts with the next one to make an ultimate chemical bond. It was all we could do to keep from busting a gut.

Last edited by Chris Kemp; 05-27-2006 at 07:11 AM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.