"Bodywork Restoration Tutorial" DVD Review - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2013, 11:23 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,122 Times in 997 Posts
"Bodywork Restoration Tutorial" DVD Review

A co-worker loaned me this DVD today and I came home watched every minute of it and I must recommend it to all who want to learn how to fabricate sheetmetal or even for the fabricator to learn a new trick or two. It's located at.... Home - Our Online Shop

It covers just about all aspects of making sheetmetal panels and structures using simple hand tools and home made tools. This was one of the things that impressed me the most. While many of the videos I have seen are basically showing you how to use a tool they sell, often an expensive tool. This video shows some very creative ways to make parts using scrapes of metal, and home made tools and hammers. Very, very interesting indeed.

It covers all aspects from cutting to flanging, to welding (this is what really grabbed me) and metal finishing.

It really shows some great stuff very similar to what John is showing in his thread on rust repair on his Chevy. Creating complex parts from nothing using simple tools. Also one of the things that grabbed me is an Aston Martin door skin he installs. What is cool is just looking at the inner shell of this door that was made by Aston Martin, it is extremely simple! And could be made by any of us in our garages. It really demystifies sheetmetal fabrication, very well done indeed!

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2013, 09:43 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,279 Times in 1,038 Posts
I went to the site with the intentions to order but a 38 converts to about $60. Just bought new TV and stand so I guess that is on hold for now

John
Old 08-22-2013, 09:54 PM

Last photo:

You know about 80% of the tricks I would say, maybe 90%. You know how those types of lessons are, I was slapping my forehead over and over with simple tips that just go missed if not for something like that video.

Brian
Old 08-22-2013, 09:58 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
You know about 80% of the tricks I would say, maybe 90%. You know how those types of lessons are, I was slapping my forehead over and over with simple tips that just go missed if not for something like that video.

Brian
Absolutely! I have never watched one of these "tin benders" type videos that I didn't pick up some neat tips. None of us ever knows it all.

John
Old 08-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Here is a picture of one of the repairs they say they make on the video. I would have really enjoyed seeing how they did the detail on it.

John

Old 08-22-2013, 10:45 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

looks like a bead roller. Try you tube.

funny cause Martin mentions using bare essential tools in that video but the guy with the most videos on you tube is named Lazze and on one of his videos he caught himself and stopped himself from saying you need 2 $3000 lazze bead rollers so you don't have to go changing those pesky dies. Apart from that, his videos are pretty cool. Tipping dies are pretty awesome.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:09 PM

Last photo:

He didn't use a bead roller on that floor, we are talking basic tools. He used flat metal stock that guy could buy at the local hardware store for two dollars and hammer formed those pieces.

Brian
Old 08-22-2013, 11:31 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

that's cool. I don't have the time in the world to do all that hammering. I'd rather do that on a bead roller but nonetheless it's a great skill to have.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:14 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
He didn't use a bead roller on that floor, we are talking basic tools. He used flat metal stock that guy could buy at the local hardware store for two dollars and hammer formed those pieces.

Brian
I have his videos, he is just amazing and I'm surprised that he doesn't have arms like popeye.

They say that metal forming machines just make the work faster and you could do it all with hand tools, but David is the only one that I have seen prove it.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:00 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevymon View Post
I have his videos, he is just amazing and I'm surprised that he doesn't have arms like popeye.

They say that metal forming machines just make the work faster and you could do it all with hand tools, but David is the only one that I have seen prove it.
I was thinking the same thing as I watched the video. I kept thinking how I am not sure if I could do that, if my arm would fall off or something. That was one reason I moved into the office at work, door skins would KILL me. I just figured it was time for me to drift away from that. Now I find myself doing it at home and I am hanging in there pretty good. But watching that video I thought to myself, "Can I still be doing this?" But of course it doesn't have to be done like he does, but damn it is fascinating what the guy can do with a hammer.

Brian
Old 08-23-2013, 08:04 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Here is a picture of one of the repairs they say they make on the video. I would have really enjoyed seeing how they did the detail on it.

John

He uses flat stock clamped to a table and a chisel like tool to hit with a hammer along the edge. It's pretty wild how he smoothes it all out with a million and a half hammer blows. He beats the hell out of something then planishes it back to smooth.

Brian
Old 08-23-2013, 08:05 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

it's one of those things where you'd get a whole lot more respect but at the same time I'd be finding easier ways to get the same results. I once saw a video of a guy making a quarter panel by hand and it was the most impressive thing I've ever seen to this day.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:22 PM

Last photo:

I have been eyeballing that video for sometime.

If i ever win the lottery I would love to take a class in old fashioned metal working.

There is a guy who posts on a number of forums including the Garage Journal who is a master metal worker and gives classes. He goes by MP&C? He posts lots of good stuff and answers questions and gives guidance freely. There is also a guy in the Pacific Northwest who actually provides lodging as part of a vacation metal working experience. I thing he specializes in VW's and Porches'

Someday...
Old 08-23-2013, 03:44 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

DAVID GARDINER, uk

David is on a lot of the metal shaping forums, does fantastic work out of a very small shop. He has posted a lot of good info. I took a week end course from Ron Covelle a few years ago and I expected to see a big shop with every tool you could imagine, Not so. I think he got a power hammer - pullmax type machine from some company that wanted their machines in use in classes and video's. just recently. I"ve never seen a pullmax in any of lazze's Utubes. I frequent the metal forming sites, Down at the winter home-shop I am about half way converting an old atlas Potatoe box staple machine into a dedicated thumb nail shrinker and an old saw filing machine from a steel mill into a Pullmax type machine, just smaller. And I have stuff from the junk farm machinery pile to build a louver press and 3 roll powered slip roller. It just takes more time than I have.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:19 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Ron Covell /Professor Hammer.....Now theres a guy I'd love to meet,Can you imagine living next door to a guy like that...he'd hate me I'd always be running over and hanging out with him every time he opened his garage door....
I've been in the body and paint biz all my life and still these guys make me feel like a newb.
if you think making body panels is fasinating you should see someone make a suit of armor and theres tons of other stuff unrelated to cars you can keep yourself busy doing with metal shaping....
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
tech69 (08-24-2013)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.