Bodywork scam. Any victims here? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2005, 04:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bodywork scam. Any victims here?

Pretty popular scam around here. Some guy happens to be in your neighborhood and notices your car has some body damage. He comes knocking on your door with all his charm. Claims he was just passing by when he noticed the damage on your vehicle. Claims he is an out of work body guy and he estimates the work to fix your damage would cost you $500 at a shop. Just so happens he is willing to do it for $100 because he really needs the money. You bite, he gets some bondo, sand paper and rattlecan paint. You end up with slathered on gobs of bondo, no attempt to sand or smooth it out other than what can be done with a putty knife and a coat of rattlecan paint that "might" be in the same color sprectrum. If you become wise during all of this and try to get rid of the guy or refuse to pay, they threaten to call the police or they may threaten you, your family, your property with physical harm. After all, they know where you live and what you drive. You might not even know what he drives if he walked up. They will intimidate you with harm if you threaten to call the police.

There are some variations to it, but that's the gist of it. I have been approached a couple of times and I have seen their work several times. Just curious if anyone else has heard of this.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2005, 04:42 PM
Reviewing the situation

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

ok where im at we got paintless dent removal. he comes out to the house with a van full of light and equipment, but does kick *** work. no painting. awesome results.

at the garage they have guy with a work van , a tent ,lights, generator, hlvp pressure sprayer, and he can come on site. his work isnt the best,but pretty good.

all these you have to call to come out

now who would let someone do body work just walking up? i hope people are smarter than that.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn
ok where im at we got paintless dent removal. he comes out to the house with a van full of light and equipment, but does kick *** work. no painting. awesome results.

at the garage they have guy with a work van , a tent ,lights, generator, hlvp pressure sprayer, and he can come on site. his work isnt the best,but pretty good.

all these you have to call to come out

now who would let someone do body work just walking up? i hope people are smarter than that.
Those are all legitimate businesses though.

I've met more than one person that fell for it. They usually target women or older folks that are more naive. To someone who doesn't know better, I could see them falling for it easily. A guy stopped at my house when my wife was home. Fortunately my wife knew about the scam. I have a badly bent fender on our Explorer. No way in hell you could fix it without pulling the fender off. There is no access behind it. The guy was going to do this at the curb in front of the house. Told my wife it would be $750 at a dealer but he would be willing to do it for $250.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:42 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

Here it is the asphalt guy.He notices your drive is cracking and he has a left over amount from the drivway he just resurfaced "down the steet". They tried to pull this on my grandmother a few times. She is smarter than that though.Tells them to get out.My uncle is a retired officer here,and is currently working as a deputy at the courthouse.He told me he was there one day when one of them came over,he layed out all the crimes he could be charged with.He told me he shot out of there real quickly after that.Mkaes you want toget them into your garage and beat the living **** out of them and then dismember them with your reciproc......... Sorry,got carried away.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:03 PM
Reviewing the situation

Last photo:

wait asphalt...how can you get ripped on that? the guy shows up with some rocks painted black in a bucket ? maybe only buy ashpalt from a guy with a truck full of asphalt.

maybe check out the consistancy of the stuff he used down the block.

im not sayin ive never been takin. its like getting any product from a dealer. test the merchandise. oh ya, and freshness is key.

Last edited by spinn; 08-15-2005 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:51 AM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

They target the elderly.This is not rocket science. They ask for money up front and never return.Real big scam on old people here.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:05 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn
wait asphalt...how can you get ripped on that? the guy shows up with some rocks painted black in a bucket ? maybe only buy ashpalt from a guy with a truck full of asphalt.

maybe check out the consistancy of the stuff he used down the block.

im not sayin ive never been takin. its like getting any product from a dealer. test the merchandise. oh ya, and freshness is key.
Ever use "cold patch"? They pulled that one around here a few years ago using cold patch. They told people not to drive on it for 48 hours which gave them lots of time to get out of the area before people discovered they got hosed.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:18 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

There's TONS of ways to hose someone in the asphalt business. Each of the below can be expanded

improper ground prep
shallow aggregate (too thin)
wrong aggregate
no soil stabalization blanket in areas with clay
shallow binder
shallow top coat
wrong topcoat
cold joints
insufficient roller
poor edging
no weed control

I could keep going. They tried hosing my mother last week. $3,500 for topdressing only. Average is $1,400 for her driveway. No repairs either. That was more !
Old 08-16-2005, 10:49 AM
Reviewing the situation

Last photo:

im glad you are telling people about these scams. look these guys in the eye, when they come around. price a job from more than one guy.

look i know there are stupid people in the world. they even buy the crap sold on TV. i cant believe somebody thinks any of that crap is worth anything. i love the deit pills for 200 bucks. you need leptoeprin. BS you need a work out program. or think that mexican and his guitar are so cool, so you buy it at 4 am. when you should be buying a fender, or a gibson.

i want to sell diet pills for 300 bucks. man i could rake in the cash. they must work if it costs so much. lets call them spinnodrillmyfistthroughyourhead
Old 08-17-2005, 11:06 AM
Move It On Over!

Last photo:

I don't like anyone solicitating me, period. By phone, in the mail, at the door... The worse I ever get are the pizza coupon guys selling $100 worth of coupons for $25.

If I want something, I'll figure out where and go get it!
Old 08-17-2005, 12:07 PM
Freezing in arctic Iowa

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Caprice
I don't like anyone solicitating me, period. By phone, in the mail, at the door... The worse I ever get are the pizza coupon guys selling $100 worth of coupons for $25.

If I want something, I'll figure out where and go get it!
As long as I can afford the gas.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:52 PM
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich

Last photo:

The asphalt scam happened to people in my grandmas living community, but the actually painted the driveways black once it was dry, and they were long gone, you could see all the cracks and everything were just painted over.

I have actually met the "body" guy before. I was out washing my 64 Valiant in front of my house, it HAD HUGE amounts of rust and needed replacement panels.
so this guy pulls up. hes got like 5 kids in the car, and there is a woman driving. both of the adults looked like they were on speed. the guy comes up with the spiel and says he can repair ALL the body work, in a couple hours for 300$ If I give him 150$ now, he'll go and "get his tools" and come back. I am already chuckling at this point, and ask him where is he gonna get replacement panels on a sunday for that cheap? he says he doesnt need panels he can "patch" the rust. and I say? with Bondo? and he says the stuff I use is stronger than bondo. So I spell it out for him, you are gonna patch those 3 or 4 inch holes with body filler? He says yeah I do it all the time. So I look him in the eye and say Is the number for the cops still 911? he turned right around got back into his car and they drove off...

silly crackheads!!
Old 08-17-2005, 04:58 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like what I have been almost getting to the point of doing, going around and seeing if anyone needs body repairs. There is an old car sitting in a garage that I can't make out exactly what it is, and would just like to take a peak. Haven't gotten to the point of going door to door. But In all reality, it is illegal. You need a permit to go door to door. There are tons of scams, and they usually target the elderly. Or another interesting one is the one some bodyshops were pulling causing more damage to the cars with sledgehammers to increase the damage before the insurance adjuster got there. Their are crooks in every business. So if your smart you will be carefull and check references before any work is done. The product on tv I get kicks out of is the ding king. Like that little thing could do much of anything.
Quote:
you are gonna patch those 3 or 4 inch holes with body filler?
He probably learned at maaco or a shoddy used car dealer. They are also know to use spray foam.

Last edited by kenseth17; 08-17-2005 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:25 PM

funny that you mention the driveway scam, just had a woman try to pull that one on me last week! this woman, who was clearly a POS gypsy, came to my door informing me that my asphalt driveway was in need of some work and they happened to be doing some work "down the street" and could give me a discount. i said i wasn't interested, but she was pushy and wasn't taking no for an answer. i was getting annoyed and told her that even if i was in the market for a new driveway, a pack of gypsies would be the last people i would give my business to. she gave me a mean look, but said nothing more and left.

my buddies late grandfather got burned by gypsies on the same scam in the same town. nicest, trusting old man and got burned for ~$3k, never got any of it back.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:46 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

didnt hear about that, but thanks for letting me know, if i find someone doing that ill be sure to shoot one with 12GA

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.