Bogging, hesitation issue - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2012, 05:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bogging, hesitation issue

I have an AMC 360 running a Holley 600 CFM. It's been running great for the past year. About 2 weeks ago I noticed some slight muffler backfiring and sluggishness. I looked under the hood and saw that one of the spark plugs wires has become too close to the header which melted the shield and it was arching. I installed new wires and things were good for a few days.

I then noticed again a light bogging with light throttle. After a few days it was getting much worse. Things look good as far as the wires, etc. I noticed that my fuel filter was low(clear glass bowl) so I thought maybe it was a clogged filter. I changed that today but no change.

I have a strong smell of fuel. It bogs and just does not want to run. When I let off the gas, I get a small backfire in the left exhaust.

It has an electric fuel pump in the rear. Should this be the next thing I look at?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 07:53 AM

Last journal entry: Still running strong

Not the fuel pump.But how about a real long list of things to check like dist.cap & rotor,timing,if you dont have an exhaust leak on that side then their is unburned fuel in the exhaust,miss firing plug,bent push rod,weak or broken valve spring,bad lifter,cam lobe flat,burned valve.I would start with checking that the spark plug wires are on right,then start pulling all the plugs out,they should all look the same.All I can say is” Enjoy” been down this road more than a few times.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:55 AM

Last photo:

Bogging, hesitation issue

What brand electric fuel pump do you have? Also do you have an inline filter between the tank and the fuel pump? I not the screen in the fuel pump may be plugging.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:23 PM

Last photo:

I am not sure of the brand of pump nor if there is a filter between the tank and pump. I will climb under it this evening and start looking at it.

The backfiring sounds just like an exhaust manifold leak but not the bogging, etc. That looks/feels more like fuel starvation.

I am also going to reset the timing, etc. tonight, pull the plugs, etc.

I understand unburnt fuel in exhaust = backfire. I have had many blown gaskets and know what that feels and sounds like. I may have more than one thing going on.

With the clear filter I have had on it, I always know how much fuel was in it say at idle. Now it barly has any fuel in itwhen running. With the electric pump, fuel is being pulled from the tank and pushed right?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.