Boil over 455 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2003, 09:30 AM
American Madd Man

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Boil over 455

My truck with a 455 Olds runs cool and stays under 200 in traffic. The problem is when I finally get to my destination, I puke fluid. It has a HUGE 4 core radiator with the fan aprrox. 3/4 inch from the core. No puke tank, no shroud.
The puke tank would contain the fluid, but what do I need to keep it from doing this?
Will a shroud help? I thought they were cooling while running.

Little help, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2003, 09:36 AM

Do you have a gauge to check temps? If not , that is a necessity if you are having temp problems/questions.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:42 AM

Yes a shroud would help also a flex fan would help if you don't already have one
Old 08-29-2003, 09:44 AM
American Madd Man

Last photo:

Sorry. Yes I do. The guage is accurate and has been checked with another. I run mechanical gauges for temp and oil. I checked it with another mechanical the first time and an electrical the second, and they are all very close to each other.
Hope that helps.
Example: I can drive to a restaurant 15 miles from the house with out goosing it or being frisky. When I get there, I stain the parking lot.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:45 AM
Blue Jay Racing

Last photo:

I think I would put a tank on. When you shut down, the temp spikes slightly because less heat is being thrown off. Puke it into the tank, and it can be drawn back in later after it cools.

Also, is the cap holding pressure?

Just a few to think about.

-M
Old 08-29-2003, 09:48 AM
American Madd Man

Last photo:

My current cap is a 7lb. I am not running a flex fan or electric. I use the steel fan the motor came with. It is not bored or any engine work. It does have stock W-30 exhaust headers and a mild cam, Edelbrok carb and manifold. HEI ignition.
I was thinking about maybe adjusting the timing, but it does run well. It doesn't peak out the way I think it should.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:06 AM

If you leave the fluid 1" from the top of the radiator then it gives it room to heat up and expand.
What temp is it boiling at? The higher the % of antifreeze the higher the boiling point. (but of course the lower the cooling efficiency)

7lbs is kind of low isnt it. I think it is designed for a overflow system. If you dont want one then what about a 12 lb. I run a 16lb on my buick big block. You might want to check with the manual for the recommended cap and setup. Some are real picky.

Last edited by JUSTINH; 08-29-2003 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Run a heavier cap Madd, 7 pounds is pretty low. I would switch to a 12-16 pound. The system can easily handle it. I would still get a catch can since the systems run better topped up right to the top with coolant, if you don't run a catch can you have to allow room inside the rad for expansion by lowering the coolant level.

I have never had a problem doing this on any old car, the rad is plenty heavy duty to handle the higher pressure. It will run cooler also with more capacity to dissipate heat under long idle conditions and hot weather. I once took an old Mustang rad and filled it with water and capped the ends, I then pressurized the rad to 50psi before it split one of the vertical tubes in the rad, the old rads can handle lots of pressure, they are the weak link in any coolant system.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:01 PM
American Madd Man

Last photo:

OK, so I need to change caps to a 12-14. I have that knowledge. Now, what I did not know about is:
1) leave space at the top for expansion? That makes sense but never knew to do that.

2)Higher % of anti freeze is higher boiuling point. That is new to be. I never heard that before. I am not saying I don't believe you, I just didn't know that.

So, drain system. Get new 12-14 cap, fill to manufacturers spec on motor, install puke tank. What do you think Justin, Chuck?
Old 08-29-2003, 12:50 PM

Sounds good.

Regarding the boiling temp of antifree. "antifreeze" is a bad name that we use even in Texas. It should be referred to as coolant. It raised the boiling point of the coolant to around 250. Water boils at 212. And these are higher under higher pressure.

The problem is that "antifreeze" does not conduct heat as well as water. so its a tradeoff.

For cooling (And someone correct me if they want) the optimal solution is 100%water and a bottle of napa "bearing and rust protector". But then that would freeze under 32 degrees. So pick your poison.

Buicks in 60s (before overflow tanks) were suppose to be filled to right about the core rods. about 1" below top. and a 16 lb cap.
But that is not as much coolant as a full one. so you need a overflow bottle.

I never did hear what your temp was when you killed the car (before it puked)
Old 08-29-2003, 01:01 PM
American Madd Man

Last photo:

Sorry. The needle registered about 210. In SC, freezing is never really a problem. I used to live in Lubbock for 6 yrs (Texas Tech alum) and the temp there is a little cooler than here.
I will watch to see what someone says about the 100% water and Napa stuff. i may try that. I know at one time I went with 100% antifreeze. My pea brain figured more is better.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Even 10% antifreeze is enough to protect your engines internals, if you don't have a problem with freezing then definetly reduce your mixture. On older cars with no resevoir your supposed to leave about an inch below the cap to allow for expansion, there should be a mark on the side of the tank telling you the fill level recommended.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:19 PM

Last photo:

The reason why it was "puking" is because when you shut the car down there is no longer any air flow through the rad to cool the coolant, therefore the water in the block heats up and expands, and judging from the stain in your drive way, you know what happens next.

Personally, unless you want to keep it looking original, I'd get an overflow tank and go with a little higher rated cap. This way you won't spill any and you won't risk breaking your rad. If you really want, you could go to an electric fan setup that stays on after the car shut's off until the temp goes down. But that is a rather expensive alternative.

Also, when mixing coolant, do not go over what they recommend for mixing, any more than I think a 60/40 mix (60% anti-freeze) and you start to loose the benefit of having anti-freeze at all. This is probably not that releveant to where you live as to where I live, but it's good just for general knowledge.

But that's just my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:49 AM
American Madd Man

Last photo:

Thank you all. i am going to the parts store after work today and will make all the changes and get back to you on the stained parking lot syndrome.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.