bolt removal - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2004, 06:10 PM
My bike has 4wheel disc brakes

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

bolt removal

I snaped a bolt for the termostat housing on my intake. It was sticking up about 1/4" inch, I soaked it in liquid wrench for a day then i tried some vice grips on it, didnt move. next i tried drilling it out and removing it with a bolt extractor. (kind with reverse threads on it). I snaped that inside the bolt, and the top 1/4" of the bolt split open. I tried to drill the tool out, except its made of some kind of extremely hard steel alloy, and I snaped 2 brand new drill bits on it, and it was barely scratched. (cobalt drill bits for hard metals)
Now I have it cut down flush with the intake and am completely lost on what to do.
any suggestions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2004, 10:13 PM
just a kid and his truck

Last photo:

i would say ur in a bit of a jam, i think your best bet is to take it to a machine shop, and see what they can do. Or start lookn on ebay for a new intake and all new bolts.

I dont know what kind of intake you have but i have a cast iron 4 bbl sbc intake, non EGR, its off my 71 chevy 350, i would be willing to sell ya if you really need one and cant afford an aftermarket alluminum one.

Last edited by 71 c-10; 04-10-2004 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:49 PM

Last photo:

If it's an iron intake, you might try heating the tool stub red-hot to "un-heat-treat" it & then try drilling it.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:55 PM

71-C-10

If you have a wire feed welder you could try welding another 1/4 inch bolt onto your struck one. This will heat the stuck bolt and when it cools what ever is holding on to it will let go and you will be able to twist it out.
This will work with an aluminum or a cast iron intake because neither one will welt to the broken bolt. You may need to J-B weld the area and file it smooth but you should be able to get the thing out of there, just be patient.
Scholman
Old 04-11-2004, 12:08 AM
just a kid and his truck

Last photo:

thats a good idea. i'll rember it when i break stuff in my motor build next year.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:53 AM

Last photo:

The only good thing about the broken off easy-out is that the hardness can work for you. Try using a chisel or punch and try and break up the easy-out. It should break up in to little chunks and the pieces should come out without too much of a problem. For future use, stay away from the easy-outs that twist into a broken bolt. They seem to always cause more problems than they solve. I have had better luck with the four sided easy-outs that are tapped into the hole of the broken bolt. They don't seem to cause the excessive expansion problems (or breakage) the the threaded ones cause.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:16 AM

Last photo:

Its an aftermarket TPI, SLP aluminium intake, ported and polished. Removing the intake is the last thing I want to do, and I hope I dont have to. As for heating it, I tried... didnt do much of anything for me. I also dont want to warp the intake from heating it in one spot. The first easy-out I tried, I stripped it inside the bolt. The second one was one of the four-sided ones, and that was the one that broke. I took a dremel tool to it with a cone-shaped grinding bit with the point in the center, it took some metal away, not much though. I think Ill get some new drill bits of different sizes, and just work my way up from small to big, then re-tap the bolt hole... If that works that is...

Thanks for all the suggestions so far...
Any other suggestions?

oh, and no welder on hand
but I have some JB weld handy

Old 04-11-2004, 03:00 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

I was having issues with those thermostat bolts and changed
them to studs, exhaust header studs do the trick.
As to getting the rest of your bolt out try here http://www.madelectrical.com/worksho...en-bolts.shtml good luck.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:58 AM
Old Guys Rule!...EVERYTHING!

Last photo:

Save your sanity and knuckles, take this manifold to a machine shop that does E.D.M. (electrical discharge machining) work. Did you ever take a screw driver or and other tool and cross the battery connections? I'll take a big hunk out of it. Well this is what E.D.M. machining does, only repeatedly. It's not cheap, but normal wouldn't be an arm and a leg either. Good Luck! ...Mark
Old 04-11-2004, 08:16 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

The broke off blot is gaulded in the intake

Welding a nut to the broke off bolt is the only way to go here. You can do it yourself if you have a mig welder, so have at it Dude!!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 04-11-2004, 08:28 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by arch
Its an aftermarket TPI, SLP aluminium intake, ported and polished. Removing the intake is the last thing I want to do, and I hope I dont have to. As for heating it, I tried... didnt do much of anything for me. I also dont want to warp the intake from heating it in one spot. The first easy-out I tried, I stripped it inside the bolt. The second one was one of the four-sided ones, and that was the one that broke. I took a dremel tool to it with a cone-shaped grinding bit with the point in the center, it took some metal away, not much though. I think Ill get some new drill bits of different sizes, and just work my way up from small to big, then re-tap the bolt hole... If that works that is...

Thanks for all the suggestions so far...
Any other suggestions?

I would have thought that breaking the bolt would have been the last thing that you wanted to do. Since you've done that, you might be better off taking the manifold off to fix it. It is easier to drill and so forth with it out where you can get right at it.

As for using easy-outs, usually people have a tendancy to use the one that is closest to the size of the bolt. That causes the spreading that leads to breaking the easy-out. If you have any room left between the edge of the easy out and the edge of the bolt, you can try drilling realy small holes about (1/16") in the bolt around the easy-out. That will often relieve some pressure so you can tap it out with a small punch by twisting it backwards. You may then need to drill the hole out and install a helicoil or a larger metal threaded insert.

I have been known to make my own inserts. You take the largest bolt that will fit in that area, and still leave enough original metal there for needed strength. Drill and tap the hole for that bolt. Insert that bolt into the hole and cut it off flush with the surface. Then drill a hole at the edge of the bolt, where it cuts into the threads of the bolt and original metal. The hole should be a tight fit for a pin of somekind, I like to use a small nail. Drive that pin into that hole and grind it off flush. That will prevent the inserted bolt from turning out. Then drill and tap a hole into that bolt for the bolt that you are going to use.

Another option for replacing the threads is to use one of those inserts that are installed using a tool like a rivet gun. They are designed for use in sheetmetal, but can possibly work for that, since it isn't a high pressure area.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:45 AM

Last photo:

I've used heat to loosen stubborn bolts in the past by heating the head of the bolt, then quickly quenching it with a squirt bottle. I've never used it in a case where the bolt was threaded into cast Aluminum though.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:53 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

When you do get it out, install studs. I do that whenever I have an aluminum manifold. Steel bolts in aluminum is "the devil"
Old 04-11-2004, 08:42 PM

Last photo:

...This actually was a stud with a nut in the middle of it. But I Didnt do anything today since it was Easter. Ill try again tomorrow.
Thanks for all the help!
Ill post something when it finally does come out.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:37 AM

Last journal entry: Red, my second T--Bucket
Last photo:

Sorry to hear of your trouble. You might try taking a small punch, and taping the broken easy-out CLOCKWISE. That should loosen it up, as you turn in counter-clockwise to get it to bite into the broken stud. Take your time and work on all 4 corners of the easy-out. Once you have loosened it up, and gotten it out, use the left handed drill technique in the link above. I have sharpened regular bits "left handed" in a pinch, and gotten things out that way, but real left handers will obviously work better. Also you should always use anti-seize compound on anything that's screwing into aluminum.
Good luck and let us know how you make out!!!

MF

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.