Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Bonding fiberglass to metal... quarter skin
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 04:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm very familiar with these panels as had a customer do these for years.
Is there a sure way not to have a problem, well no but after about two years of trial and error we did stop having problems.

First those panels need to set out in sun for a week.

Fit and refit and refit again.
There are areas on the panel that you will need to use sheet metal screws to hold in place as some areas cannot be clamped.

One of the things we learned is these panels must be clamped or screw tight, when bonding, no losey goosy!
So test clamp and drill you holes before bonding and you may only be able to do one at a time because lack of clamps and vise grips.

Use only the Duramix 4188 on these and reason is it does not have the spheres for gapping purposes and this we have found is very important.

I'm skipping the prep as I'm sure you know or if not instructions come in cartage.

Clamp panel as tight as you can and make sure you have plenty of sheet metal screws where needed and plenty of clamps.

At jambs with a rag wipe off any excess bonding material that oozed out.
Let set for full cure in clamped stage, I think its 16 hours or about for full cure.
Next with a 3 inch roloc grinder prep all your spots to be tapered into the body and taper the glass as gradual as you can on the edges. Make sure all excess Duramix is gone.
Areas than need tapering spray two coats of epoxy and let set over night, this is one of the most important steps as the metal and glass will expand at different rates and the epoxy will make or break the job.
Apply a fine strand fiberglass like duraglas, kitty hair. and finish with filler.

As you get into the bonding, feel free to call me and we can get you threw this.