Bonding on a Roof Panel - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Ed S.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bonding on a Roof Panel

What I have is a 68 Mustang coupe and I have to replace the roof skin. I was thinking that since there are over 250 spot welds holding this in place that I might be able to get away with using glue in some areas if not all. The drip rails alone have over 70 welds on each side and it would be kind of hard to get in there with the Mig. I figured that this would also be a good way to seal the seams and keep rust from forming.

What products would be good for this and does anybody have any techniques that they might recommend?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Using a bonding adhesive to put in that roof would be a great way in my opinion. I would weld each end over the windshield and back glass because it is real easy there, a simple pinch weld. But the sides are a beeatch and I would bond it there.

There are many different brands of "structual panel adhesive" all would do the job. Visit your neighborhood auto paint supply store and they will set you up.

Brian

Here is an interesting article on it...Click here for my boys science project.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:12 PM

Sticky question?????

I would look at a line of 3M tape called VHB which stands for Very High Bond.
I worked for a one off type of exhibit vehicle manufacturer and we used this VHB tape on many projects where we wanted smooth no rivet surfaces for my airbrushed murals.
If we have to replace a damaged panel it took 2 guys using this special tool we made and a sledge hammer to pound the panel off.
It is even used in aircraft applications so I think it would be ok on your Horse car.
I plan to use it to skin parts of the engine compartment on my 65 Chevy Pick-up.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:21 PM

Last photo:

I would use 3M's Automix Panel Bonding Adhesive (8115) or Norton Panel Bonding Adhesive. Both are great products and work get if you follow the instruction to a dot. The only thing you should consider when choosing what company you are going to buy from, is what other products do they make that you might use in the future. You will have to buy a applicator gun each companies products and the applicator guns are different for each company. So pick a company and stay with it. At school we have used both and even bonded two panels together and hooked them up to a frame puller and 10,000 psi it tore the metal around the clamps and never broke the bond. Hope this help you make your decision.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:22 AM
Ed S.

Last photo:

If I plug weld the area of the front and back glass is there a seam sealer product that is a weld through type? I was thinking of spaying this area with a weld though primer but was looking through an assembly manual and I see that some areas used a weld through sealer.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:53 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
There are no "weld thru sealers" that would work with plug welding that I know of. They are designed for STRSW (Squeeze Type Restistance Spot Weld) and would burn up when MIG plug welding.

There is no reason so seam seal a pinch weld like what is found at the front and back of the roof. Personally, I have done a number of roof skins in my time and I have never seen a car that had ANY seam sealer there. They use it on the sides in the gutters or on a late model car at the seam where the roof skin meets the upper roof rail of the side body, but there is ZERO seam sealer at the front and back glass.

Brian
Old 12-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Ed S.

Last photo:

I didnít see it in the front and back seam but did notice it in other areas of the car and just thought it might be good to use.

If it will burn up then that scratches that off the list of things to try.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:56 PM

Last journal entry: camaro clip con't 56 chevy truck

i would use duramix, that stuff is strong, i have used it for door skins

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.