Bondo VS. Lead (Battle Of The Era's) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Bondo or Lead?!
Bondo cause I suck and don't realize the superiority of leading. 21 70.00%
Lead, cause I rock and know what's up! 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Cleveland Rodder Scene

Wiki Edits: 0

Bondo VS. Lead (Battle Of The Era's)

For those of you who use bondo or some kind of plasteresque body repair agent in your body work, you fail at life (I'm only kidding). But seriosly, what happened to the art behind body work, anybody can bondo up a car! Now lead working is slightly harder, but it's more rewarding, because you did something that you know will last and will look great to your car. My grandpa taught me how to use lead to fix a body when I was about 11 along with loads of other ****, and I've been doing it to my cars and I think everyone should too. It's a disappearing craft and we should all atleast try it, have the knowledge of how to do it. So for those of you who voted bondo over lead, think again. You might find you like leading better, It's more satisfying!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Last photo:

I will agree with you that lead is a better body filler than polyester filler. However lead is vastly more unhealthy, if proper precautions are not followed. Lead has known and documented health hazards, like absorbtion through the skin, and inhalation. Anyone who is doing lead today should be wearing a carbon respirator, gloves and full skin protection.

Vince
Old 04-01-2005, 11:05 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
There are way more things that can go wrong with lead. One little bit of tinning or wax, and the paint will fail. Plastic, if done even remotely correct will outlast you and I. The car will be rusting way in the wrecking yard and that polyester filler will still be there.

If lead is done with just one tiny bit wrong, full and catisrophic failure.

There is a place for both, not on the same car maybe, but a place for both.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Rich Lackey

Last journal entry: Rich Lackey is back on Hotrodders!
Last photo:

Well, I guess I suck because I don't know how to lead. I know that I'm going to melt out the old cracked lead originally on my '54 Chevy and replace it with "bondo" (I hate that name... makes it sound a hundred times worse than it is). I agree with MartinSR though that it will probably outlast me and the car. It is easy to apply, sand and paint over, so I don't really see where the problem is.

I think maybe the cause of it's unjustified reputation as a shoddy material is just a bit too much misplaced nostalgia for days gone by. Life goes on, technology is moving at a crazy hectic rate, and for the most part I think it's been a good thing for our hobby.

But, each to his own, I will always be more impressed with a good leading job, but it's not for me.

Rich
Old 04-01-2005, 11:42 AM

Last photo:

I do both but thats beside the point.

The above posts were right on and another item to note if your talking about bodyshops doing it everyday is the cost is higher. But most important is the safety issue. Not good at all.

Its no big deal any bodyman can learn it but like the above said there are a lot of reasons they don't want to learn it.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:55 AM

Last photo:

Body solder (lead) still has it's uses IMO. I use it in areas where I might be worried about strength- example panel edges. Or on areas that for some reason need more than an 1/8" of fill. Never fill any holes with it or apply it over any open seams- the tinning acid penetrates these areas and creates problems later. If applied over a properly tinned surface and no acid or tallow is trapped there won't be any problems using the product. But if not properly done you'll have bubbles from acid and poor primer adhesion.

Polyester fillers are much more problem free, easier to work, more economical, safer, etc. I use polyester 95% of the time.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:12 PM
Have Gun, Will Paint

What do you guys thinkg about evercoats metal inforced filler?

Could it be the middle ground between normal filler and leading?
Old 04-01-2005, 12:32 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

i love all-metal filler! but i dont know nothing, do'nt forget!
my friend Al at Accent auto body in sparks nev. was leading an old car when i was there. he didnt use tallow or whatever, he had a wooden spoon he dipped in tranny fluid. concerned about breathing the lead fumes in his shop with the doors closed and no vents, i asked him "where do you think all these fumes are going?" he says Up there? i said: To the ceiling? he says "No. Heaven"
Old 04-01-2005, 04:16 PM

Last photo:

The average person thinks bondo is bad because the majority of do-it-yourselfers and unreputable body shops have abused the use of it.

It is inherently easy to abuse, always has been and always will be.
We've all seen it gobbed on 3 or more inches thick to fill a dent!
Old 04-01-2005, 04:40 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfamiliacc
What do you guys thinkg about evercoats metal inforced filler?

I have been very pleased with all the Evercoat products I have been using on my 34. That includes several of their body fillers, both lightweight and regular, as well as their Vette panel adhesive. First rate stuff in my book.

Vince
Old 04-01-2005, 05:21 PM

Last photo:

There was a post a month ago or so about the glass and metal fillers.
None of them are water proof, so you may check out the thread but I fail to see why you would waste your money as its bodyfiller with aluminum in it.

If its not sronger or waterproof you can only use it wher you would bodyfiller anyway.???????????????
Old 04-01-2005, 05:26 PM

Last photo:

"Stronger", hmmmmm I don't know, they may be a little. I know they fill more, is that a good thing?

I use "Everglass" where I should be applying lead, but can't. Somewhere that may take a little "abuse" like on the edge of a hood.

If nothing else, it gives me a warm gooey feeling.

Brian
Old 04-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last journal entry: '41 Chevy sedan
Last photo:

OR, Howzabout we all learn to properly metalfinish our panel work and not use either!!!!!!

Randy Ferguson
Ferguson Coachbuilding
Old 04-01-2005, 07:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Ferguson
OR, Howzabout we all learn to properly metalfinish our panel work and not use either!!!!!!

Randy Ferguson
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Good point!

I just had a call from a friend that was national sales manager for years with a major filler company, so took the opportunity to ask about the strength of this stuff.
He said the metal filler and the fiberglass type filler is about 40% stronger than the body filler but not waterproof.
I stand corrected in my aluminum statement.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:39 PM

Last photo:

Randy, you have I have discussed this before. There ARE some places where it would be foolish to spend the time metal finishing OR leading.

What I am talking about is your daily driver, be it late model or "classic". Not everywhere, and every car does metal finishing or leading make any sense.

Let's take a nice old '68 Camaro, no "Z", no Yenco, just a nice driver. If you were to weld small patch panel in the bottom of the quarter, down low behind the wheel. There is no access to the rear. Sure you could make some but would it be worth it to metal finish it or lead that? If you were really good at it as you are, I suppose you could do it just as fast metal finishing, I don't know. But realistically, it would be WAY overkill to metal finish or lead that repair. Now about a typical '68 Camaro quarter, door, or fender? Every square inch needs work. Is anyone going to pay you to metal finish that car?

How about the 2004 Honda that I hung a quarter on today? Did I hack it by not metal finishing or leading the spice?

I understand your point of view, it sure would behoove someone who wants to do the ultimate repair to learn the skills of metal finishing. I am of the belief that 99% of people restoring cars are going to put some polyester filler on it.

I just can't imagine knocking them for doing that. I know that was not your intent. I also know that your teachings here on the site are worth much more than the pay you are receiving (did you get the raise I suggested they give you? ) . I just don't want anyone to think that using polyester filler is so bad. The modern materials are soooooo superior to years ago.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.