Bonehead Art - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hot Rod Art
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneHeadCustomz
I really expected more feed back, but oh well.

Here is some feedback from me.

Being as how this is a website that encourages the sharing of knowledege, in order to enable others to achieve similar results, and you choose to only display your product and answer a "how'd you do it" with a vague statement like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneHeadCustoms
I can't give you a play by play of my secret recipe, but I can tell you that on some of them I hand shape the metal to what I need.
OK...

Show us how you do it.

Like Home Brew, your fabrication of The Skull would interest me.I really like the drizzled line effect that you got on the jaw and around the details. It looks like you pulled your tig rod along while holding an arc right above the rod, heating it just enough to fuse it into the base metal without creating a puddle, or melting the rod completely. I'm sure it took many years of practice, however you did it.

The teeth and other globular protruberances almost look like lost wax castings that you affixed to the structure, or possibly they were droplets created by regular old hammer and anvil work.

So whip it out..

Otherwise, I will view this thread as just another advertising thread. Seeing your websites posted in your thread really makes that clear.

Yes I have an automotive fabrication business as well. It is not part time, and it is my only source of income.
I came here to share my knowledge with those here, without worrying about losing or getting business. Many of us share our working knowledge, that in the normal course of business, we get paid for.

I have no interest in copying your product, or your art, but I am always on the lookout for new techniques for forming steel.

later, mikey

Advertisement

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

powerrodsmike makes very valid points. Advertising your website in the forums is not allowed. You can place it in your public profile and refer the members to it in the forums. I understand that you had not referred to your website until you were asked but it is still not allowed for you to post you own website in the forums. Other members can do that but not you.

I also think it is time that you shared some of your techniques with the members. Your art is not just your working knowledge of working metal and technique. Otherwise it would be put in the "craft" category. It is how you use your mind to combine your metal working with your thoughts to produce a piece that is interesting and says something. How it combines form and in your case function. The archway and the seats in that rod are very good examples of that.

Sharing your techniques will not put you in competition with our members. If someone does "steal" those techniques and starts copying your work they will be known as being a copycat with no imagination. Those type of people will never be YOUR competition.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:54 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Yes, I agree you guys are right on. Sorry for being vauge. I have been working steel for over 30 years. That's really where you start. Understanding the basics of forge work and combining that with the basics of mig welding, (not tig), however you could tig this, but a better alternate approach would be to use a torch, then you combine the heat control with welding at the same time. I use a mig welder for speed. Basically I am sculpting much like an artist would add clay to a piece. I am adding shapes of metal, be it flat, or pieces of pipe, for curves, or curves of flat steel shaped on an anvil. I add these small chunks of shape, and grind parts off that I want to re-shape. If a curve is not what I want, I can add or take away from that until I like what I see. Some of these pieces have 50 or 60 pieces
Okay, I explained it. I know, it probably still sounds vauge, but if you would ask a painter how he did his work of art, he would say he applied paint onto a canvas with a brush.
I am not trying to really hide anything here, but if a person has the skill, they could do this.

I'll dig up a picture to help you guys see this better.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

Okay, start with these basic shapes. This starts out as a 5/8 square bar. Split it in two about 1-1/2 deep. Heat that in your forge, or with a torch. split the two halfs to a 90 degree bend, so what you have looks like a 't'. Hammer those to outer bars to points. Texture hot with a chisel. To be continued........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blacksmith 1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	25092   Click image for larger version

Name:	blacksmith2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	25093  
Old 10-26-2007, 01:05 PM

Last photo:

The breakaway from tradition comes at this point. The old time black smith would thin the section down where the nose will be. Then bend it back upon itself. It is much easier to cut the section off just above where the nose goes, then weld the cut off piece coming off for the neck. Then go back and re- heat the whole thing. Shape the nose, eyes, and neck, centerpunch the holes. Grind off the welds, heat and hammer the area afterwards.
(Maybe I should move this from the art section to the tech section.)
On this knife stand I twisted the rest of the bar and shaped the rest for the butt of the knife.

I know this is not how you make a skull, but you have to get past this point to continue.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

That's what we're talking about

Thank you...I'm sorry if was a little forthright in my last post.

Sharing is where it's at,Here is a wiki that Jon and I wrote detailing a process using a material that I like to work with. The process itself is not the art, using the process to create what you want is. Homebrew said it well.

Using the information in that wiki a guy could create a part for himself that could be as small as a cupholder for his console, or as large as a complete car body..a few more techniques and specialized materials and you could build a 120' sailboat or an airplane. A guy is only limited by his imagination. (not you Boneheadcustoms...your imagination is very well developed. )

I look forward to seeing your process.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 10-26-2007, 01:14 PM

Last photo:

Moving on. This is a picture of a mig weld. I used .025 wire here. After you have mastered basic welding, the key is being steady, and acurate. Again, don't move on until you can do this, at this size every time. Being able to place molten steel where you want to every time is important. Besides being able to weld.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	weld.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	25096  
Old 10-26-2007, 01:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
That's what we're talking about

Thank you...I'm sorry if was a little forthright in my last post.

Sharing is where it's at,Here is a wiki that Jon and I wrote detailing a process using a material that I like to work with. The process itself is not the art, using the process to create what you want is. Homebrew said it well.

Using the information in that wiki a guy could create a part for himself that could be as small as a cupholder for his console, or as large as a complete car body..a few more techniques and specialized materials and you could build a 120' sailboat or an airplane. A guy is only limited by his imagination. (not you Boneheadcustoms...your imagination is very well developed. )

I look forward to seeing your process.

Later, mikey
Thanks Mikey, I read your wiki. Good stuff. I'll try to add more info to my posts. Years ago I had some of my work "knocked off" in china. That may have ruined my attitude a little.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:22 PM

Last photo:

Here is a better picture of Slim. His head is made from the inner fender from an old Ford pickup. I heated, and shaped the head. ( with a torch, and a hammer) The rest of him is justs bits and shapes of metal. He has a spring on his jaw that holds it shut. Something like this is just a matter of making the metal look like what you want. Not really much how to on this one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	slim1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	25102   Click image for larger version

Name:	slim2a.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	25103  
Old 10-26-2007, 06:14 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Did you make the knife too?
Shane
Old 10-26-2007, 06:37 PM

Last photo:

Didn't make that knife, My Dad put that together. I have made a few though.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:24 PM

Can we see them? Ill post a pic of the ones I made if you dont mind me putting it in your thread.
Shane
Old 10-26-2007, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

Sure, I don't have any digital pics of mine, they were pre digital. They are in color though. Now to find them.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:46 PM

Heres the ones that I made,need to do a little more buffing on them though,I need to finish up some of the other ones I have started
Shane
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Copy of HPIM1567.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	25107  
Old 10-28-2007, 05:41 PM

Last photo:

Still looking for the knife pics, (yours look great though).

In the mean while let me show you my grill, and skull,the lights are also turn signals.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	grill and skull.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	25135   Click image for larger version

Name:	grill1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	25136   Click image for larger version

Name:	grill wlites.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	25137  

Recent Hot Rod Art posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.