bonehead stunt....reduced primer twice - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 12:51 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I would think no less of a man who wrapped every can of hardener he got in masking tape with HARDENER written with a felt pen over and over around the can.

Brian
Brian: LOL, I do that LOL and my mixing cups are labeled hardener, reducer, retarder etc. I pour each in separate cups and then mix in my main cup and then the gun! LOL Have you ever tightened the cup to the gun (siphon) and walked into the booth and the cup fall off and splash product everywhere LOL I have once and from then on always double check ( it only takes once ) For me to learn from a mistake!

Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,280 Times in 1,039 Posts
It only takes me once to learn. Unfortunately it also only takes a week to forget. I do have a can with masking tape wrapped around Brian. It says DIRTY. I poor the last couple of clean out cups of reducer into it and use it for the first couple of gun clean outs. Grab that one by mistake and see how your day goes.

John L
Old 07-02-2012, 07:38 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
It only takes me once to learn. Unfortunately it also only takes a week to forget. I do have a can with masking tape wrapped around Brian. It says DIRTY. I poor the last couple of clean out cups of reducer into it and use it for the first couple of gun clean outs. Grab that one by mistake and see how your day goes.

John L
I use grease & wax wipe particular to the material I'm using and lo and behold it looks exactly like my reducer can and the hardener can but I never keep it on the mixing table!!! But someone in the shop put it on my table andand I used it as reducer but the smell stopped me and I caught the mistake I was lucky! Thats when I started labeling everything 2" tape and Large marker!!!!

Chris
Old 07-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
I use grease & wax wipe particular to the material I'm using and lo and behold it looks exactly like my reducer can and the hardener can but I never keep it on the mixing table!!! But someone in the shop put it on my table andand I used it as reducer but the smell stopped me and I caught the mistake I was lucky! Thats when I started labeling everything 2" tape and Large marker!!!!

Chris
Chris, I am fortunate to have a stainless steel workbench I mix on and don't put anything on it I am not going to mix with. I know one thing though. BenchRacer1 has my complete sympathy. There is nothing worse than soft epoxy to try and get off. You can't sand it, wipe it off, or peel it off. Like benchRacer said you just have to wash it off with reducer. It took me a day and a half to straighten out the mess I made and that was only down one side of the car. What mde it particularly bad was I was sealing the car. It was final blocked and ready for paint.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:06 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Man, I could fill this thread up with my screw ups but years ago when feather fill first came out I was painting my first car in moms garage,and I sprayed the whole car with two good heavy coats of feather fill and went home.
I couldnt wait to get back in the morning and start blocking (I told you it was a long time ago)well I started blocking and the paper started gumming up right away and I could scrape it off with my finger nail .It either hasn cured yet or I really screwd up so I let it sit for another day ,next day same thing I forgot the hardner completely,found it in the bottom of the box the materials came in...Man,you think that stuff is hard to put on,try getting it off sometime it took the whole daysraping with a razor scraper and washing with thinner and this was a small TR7...Finally I got it all off retaped it and resprayed it again...came back the next morning and started blocking it again but the dang paper started gumming up........You guessed it, I forgot the hardener AGAIN!!!!!! Top THAT....OK ,so I figured double up on the hardner and spray that on top and it'll catilize whats underneath...BRILLIANT,Right? WRONG...That took two whole days to get off.
So 3 days lost the first time waiting fot the primer to dry 1 day to scrape it off three more days waiting and two scraping it off thats just about two weeks AFTER the body work was done and the owner was expecting to pick it upin just a couple days he couldnt understand why it took so long to get it painted and I couldnt tell him either...I guess thats why I'm such a stickler for getting a job delivered on time I hate making excusses....
Fast forward 35 years .....This is what happens when you mix your epoxy at 4:1 insted of 1:1 like it's supposed to be.....
Someone once said using epoxy is like putting a condom on your car Thats all I could think about when I was getting this off..Just like a condom...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5933.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	679.5 KB
ID:	66547   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5934.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	756.5 KB
ID:	66548  
Old 07-04-2012, 09:17 AM
boatbob2

screw ups.........

Hi,one time i was spraying GEL-COAT over a major fiberglass repair,and forgot the catylst,(hardner)by luck the repair was in the sun,i cleaned my spray gun,and shot a coat of ONLY catylst over the whole repair,and held my breath,BUT,i got lucky,it hardned the gel coat,so i was able to wet sand and buff.after that,i put a small sign inside my van, it said "did you catalize the mix??" i never forgot again...
Old 07-04-2012, 12:04 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Man, I could fill this thread up with my screw ups but years ago when feather fill first came out I was painting my first car in moms garage,and I sprayed the whole car with two good heavy coats of feather fill and went home.
I couldnt wait to get back in the morning and start blocking (I told you it was a long time ago)well I started blocking and the paper started gumming up right away and I could scrape it off with my finger nail .It either hasn cured yet or I really screwd up so I let it sit for another day ,next day same thing I forgot the hardner completely,found it in the bottom of the box the materials came in...Man,you think that stuff is hard to put on,try getting it off sometime it took the whole daysraping with a razor scraper and washing with thinner and this was a small TR7...Finally I got it all off retaped it and resprayed it again...came back the next morning and started blocking it again but the dang paper started gumming up........You guessed it, I forgot the hardener AGAIN!!!!!! Top THAT....OK ,so I figured double up on the hardner and spray that on top and it'll catilize whats underneath...BRILLIANT,Right? WRONG...That took two whole days to get off.
So 3 days lost the first time waiting fot the primer to dry 1 day to scrape it off three more days waiting and two scraping it off thats just about two weeks AFTER the body work was done and the owner was expecting to pick it upin just a couple days he couldnt understand why it took so long to get it painted and I couldnt tell him either...I guess thats why I'm such a stickler for getting a job delivered on time I hate making excusses....
Fast forward 35 years .....This is what happens when you mix your epoxy at 4:1 insted of 1:1 like it's supposed to be.....
Someone once said using epoxy is like putting a condom on your car Thats all I could think about when I was getting this off..Just like a condom...

Wow!!!!!

Chris
Old 07-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

If there was ever a time I don't want to top the previous posts this is it. I know everyone of us "feels the pain".

John L
Old 07-05-2012, 06:02 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Yeah so when I do the everyday screw ups like last week when I installed the 02 door latches in my 48 upside down it just makes me laugh and it dont bother me so much because I know how bad it can be.....
You know....I still have horrible flash backs when I see that little tube of MEK hardner when I do glass work...
Old 07-05-2012, 06:25 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

LOL, Boy, if confession is good for the soul, we are all set.

John L
Old 07-05-2012, 10:59 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

I keep screwing with different things trying to find different effects with paint. Years ago before wrinkle paint was available you sprayed enamel and then lacquer on top and it gave you a wrinkle effect! The first time I did it on practice pieces it was great Silver enamel and red candy lacquer (the effect when cleared over was great) so I was going to do scallops on a 50 merc. But the reaction isnt always the same and I had areas that didnt wrinkle and areas that wrinkled too much!!!I was young and shot more lacquer and it became worse I had to strip it all I never tried the wrinkle effect any more except for small parts like valve covers

Chris
Old 07-05-2012, 04:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
Brian: LOL, I do that LOL and my mixing cups are labeled hardener, reducer, retarder etc. I pour each in separate cups and then mix in my main cup and then the gun! LOL :
And guess who has two thumbs and is doing it this way from now on? THIS GUY. Because if you don't, you end up with 1/3 gallon of epoxy activator leftover even though the gallon of epoxy is all gone!

BTW, where in MI are you?
Old 07-05-2012, 05:33 PM

Last photo:

Ok, I have an addendum to the above comment: I spoke to Barry about this and he wasn't concerned in the least. He informed me that the activator is overfilled and the cans of epoxy are filled by weight not volume, so it may or may not be a true gallon. He said not enough to account for a third of a can, but then by the time you consider percentage error in measuring cups it probably all adds up. He said even if I had activated the epoxy using only half the activator it would still be fine, just give it an extra day before you do anything to it.

I use the equal ratios graduation marks on my measuring cup and fill to the first "A" then fill to the second "A" with activator. This is how he does it too.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:16 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
And guess who has two thumbs and is doing it this way from now on? THIS GUY. Because if you don't, you end up with 1/3 gallon of epoxy activator leftover even though the gallon of epoxy is all gone!

BTW, where in MI are you?

Lake Station, named after the railroad station and water tower! still in the town! Very small mostly vacationers and weekenders in small cottages (drunk with guns)LOL! In the winter its hunters and snowmobiles (drunk with guns)LOL about 25 miles from Clare, 60 miles from Midland and 35 miles from Mt. Pleasant.

When I was young I built a cottage here, and later built a house and was a drunk with guns LOL, I don't drink anymore except a beer once in a great while and got sick of killing animals. I'd rather buy a side of beef! And we have no more guns! And that's no stab at you hunters or gun lovers or drinkers its that my toys and taste's have changed

Chris

Last edited by painted jester; 07-05-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Michel, screw ups is rather coarse language, I prefer to refer to them as learning experiences, it sounds much better in polite society.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.