Which book should I read to learn SBC? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-27-2004, 05:33 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 28
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which book should I read to learn SBC?

Searching through Amazon.com I find endless of books dedicated on Chevy Small Block Performance.

I have no previous experience in engines and I would like to learn how to make a SBC put out around 400-500 hp.

Which book should I go for?

If you have read the book yourself please give a little comment about it. What was good/bad, was it suitable for a newbie, etc?

Thx in advance.

EDIT: Maybe i should add that I will use a carb, therefore injection-specialized books will not help.

    Advertisement

Last edited by Gilligan; 09-28-2004 at 11:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2004, 08:31 AM
edge's Avatar
Time is short, are you ready?
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: South Carolina
Age: 45
Posts: 658
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
SBC Books

IMO, by far the best book for learning about the high performance side of the SBC is Small-Block Chevy Performance by Dave Emanuel.

For rebuilding, the tried and true How to Rebuild Your Small-Block Chevy by David Vizard is a good book.

I do not have John Lingenfelter's book: Modifying Small-Block Chevy Engines: High Performance Engine Building and Tuning for Street and Racing, but I am sure it would be a good book.

I guess the same could be said for David Vizard's book How to Build Max Performance Chevy Small Blocks on a Budget (S-a Design). But based on the good content in his rebuilding book, I'll bet this is good source as well.

Save your money and do NOT buy HP Books' How to Hot Rod Small-Block Chevys. I think the last issue was around 1976. It still has some good information, but it is quite a bit outdated.

Looking at the Amazon links above, it appears that there are some pretty good package deals with the books I have listed.

Happy reading Ed www.edgesz28.com

__________________________________________________
Who is Jesus?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2004, 08:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 413
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
David Vizards "Max Perf. Samll Blocks on a Budget" is pretty good. Just keep in mind it is a budget minded book, so no high dollar heads or superchargers or cranks or anything like that is covered. The heads he covers are stockers and a few cheaper aftermarket, same with cranks and rods. Nitrous Oxide is covered pretty well too. I've had mine for a few years and every time I re-read it I seem to find another helpful hint.

BTW, I'm sure the Lingenfelter book is good as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2004, 11:32 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 28
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EDIT: Maybe i should add that I will use a carb, therefore injection-specialized books will not help.

Quote:
Originally posted by firechicken383
David Vizards "Max Perf. Samll Blocks on a Budget" is pretty good. Just keep in mind it is a budget minded book, so no high dollar heads or superchargers or cranks or anything like that is covered. The heads he covers are stockers and a few cheaper aftermarket, same with cranks and rods. Nitrous Oxide is covered pretty well too. I've had mine for a few years and every time I re-read it I seem to find another helpful hint.

BTW, I'm sure the Lingenfelter book is good as well.
Wil i need more advanced tuning for the kind of engine i had in mind (SBC 350 putting out around 400hp + 100hp shot)?

Quote:
Originally posted by edge
IMO, by far the best book for learning about the high performance side of the SBC is Small-Block Chevy Performance by Dave Emanuel.

For rebuilding, the tried and true How to Rebuild Your Small-Block Chevy by David Vizard is a good book.

Hi,

Could you say the the combo "Small-Block Chevy Performance" and "How to rebuild you Small-Block Chevy" is good for the beginner?

U use the second book to learn about engine basics and the first to learn about performance tuning.

How advanced is the first book you mentioned? What's good and what's bad with it?

Last edited by Gilligan; 09-28-2004 at 11:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2004, 11:50 AM
fourbyfourblazer's Avatar
Chopper Builder o<>\o
 

Last journal entry: Dash Removal
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Arleta, Ca.
Age: 46
Posts: 172
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: SBC Books

[QUOTE]Originally posted by edge

Save your money and do NOT buy HP Books' How to Hot Rod Small-Block Chevys. I think the last issue was around 1976. It still has some good information, but it is quite a bit outdated.


I forgot I had that book. I can't believe I didn't check the date on that book when I bought it at PAW a couple years back. 30 year old vintage information.

Last edited by fourbyfourblazer; 09-28-2004 at 11:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2004, 03:27 PM
edge's Avatar
Time is short, are you ready?
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: South Carolina
Age: 45
Posts: 658
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally posted by Gilligan
Could you say the the combo "Small-Block Chevy Performance" and "How to rebuild you Small-Block Chevy" is good for the beginner?

U use the second book to learn about engine basics and the first to learn about performance tuning.

How advanced is the first book you mentioned? What's good and what's bad with it?
Yes, that would be a great start. The covers of both my books have fallen off and my greasy fingerprints are all over them (lol). The first book is not that advanced; just good, straightforward discussions about regarding heads, cams, intakes, carbs, injection, cooling, etc. I can't think of anything negative to say about it. It is a great all around book. Good luck, Ed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2004, 08:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 413
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Wil i need more advanced tuning for the kind of engine i had in mind (SBC 350 putting out around 400hp + 100hp shot)?

I said budget oriented, not weak. 400 horsepower is not beyond whats in this book. BTW, he's got a 575 horsepower naturally aspired 383 stroker example, using sportsman II heads, stock 400 crank, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.