Books or DVD's - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2005, 12:21 PM
Tazz

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Books or DVD's

I have two wall units full of books on everything from a 69 Datsun roadster to my sons 86 Saab. Now I'm seeing DVD's being sold in place of the books. I want to be able to take my books out to the garage and get grease on the pages if I need to. I'm not to sure about bringing a PC out to the garage to look at the DVD's. My wife tells me to take the laptop out there and just keep my greasy hands off the screen...how about the buttons?? I save all my old Hollander books and never give up my books when I sell a car..never know when I'll need that book again for reference. Do you think its worth buying DVD's on line or at the parts store or just keep buying the books?? I'm beginning to think both might come in handy eventually!!

Tazz

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Mark Goulette

if you want to put a computer out there, they make these neat little keyboard covers to keep them clean. basically just a molded sheet of thin plastic that fits right on the keyboard. it's made so you can type with it in place, and keeps the keyboard clean and dry, for the most part. i think you can get them at office supply places. i'd still keep the books though, always good to have a reference you can go back too. alot of the newer cd's for auto repair only go back to about the mid 1980's with repair information, and alot of that is somewhat limited. you could get some of your current manuals scanned though...........that would be cool.................
Old 12-18-2005, 11:52 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

didn't think of that

I have seen those key board covers...didn't think of that..Thanks!! I have also been collecting the DVD's as there isn't always a book on the project I'm working on but almost always a DVD.

Tazz
Old 12-18-2005, 05:00 PM

Last photo:

put a small tv with a DVD Player built in to it, and play DVDs in garage.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:32 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

yes what everyone needs a key board condom!!

Im saving my old PC Just for that reason

and keyboards aren't that expensive I got this one @ wal mart its wireless with a optical mouse for $35. (so I can sit in my lazyboy and surf without my legs falling asleep in 10 minuets)
so you can put in a draw to keep it out of harms way

and thats a great idea of scanning your books then if you want some paper to hold on to just print what you need

boy howdy Im gonna wear this $75. lexmark all in one out hahaha

SR66

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 12-19-2005, 07:37 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Rob hit it for me. For the ones I have on CD I just print what I need. I usually research a project in the house, then write/print what I don't think I'll remember (getting to be more and more these days...). If the page(s) get greasy just toss 'em!

The only thing is I find it much easier to research something in a book than on the screen. I guess I need to get one of those CD changers or a CD tower where I can keep 5-6 CDs on-line all the time. Then it won't be a hassle to locate the CD, load it, and search. That or a new 200GB drive with everything well organized on it. Something about the "well organized" part throws a money wrench in the works. Nothing ever seems to stay organized on a hard drive!!
Old 12-19-2005, 08:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I have all the repair info on DVD. They are so much nicer than the old books. Never had a problem with grease on the key board, if I do a rag with a little brake cleaner takes it right off. I have used CD/DVD for the last 15 years, and could never think of going back. Just print out what you need, the best part about printing it out is you can write on it and toss it away when your done.

Steve
Old 12-19-2005, 10:31 AM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

I also remembers a another product at walmart they are CD/DVD covers ....I think "disk skin" something like that they are disposable Disk covers to protect the disk from getting scratched and if the "skin gets scratched ..toss it about $1 each

http://www.d-skin.com/

http://www.provantage.com/buy-220971...s-shopping.htm

farna Im no puter geek trust me wish I was but I have been organizing stuff as I get it

I wish I would have gotten the bigger Hard drive but @ 120 1/2 of it goes to the restore thinga which has saved my stuff about 4 times so far

now I need to learn how to make music CD's and make back up stuff when I go to town to do my Christmas shopping (for my wife thats it) I am gona get myself a book any suggestions??(keep in mind I know NOTHING

I need to finish scanning all my old photos so i can start on this other stuff

SR66

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 12-20-2005, 07:22 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

On the magazine rack at most book stores is a book about 1" thick on Windows XP (assuming that's what you're running). I forget the exact title -- "Tips and Tricks for Windows XP" or something like that. Hard to miss, has a blue cover that looks like the Windows XP box (big "Windows" and "flying window" pic on the front). It's a great beginner to mid level book with just about everyting in it. I bought a copy because it's a quick and easy reference.

What I do is install Windows and all the programs I normally use on a clean hard drive, then make a backup disk using Norton Ghost (any "disk cloning" software will do). That's my primary backup CD. If your computer will boot from a DVD you can install more. Otherwise, remember that a CD is only 700 MB. Just install the hard to re-install stuff up to 600-700 mb, then make a backup image. It's really not that hard to re-install programs, and it's better in the long run. Of course Ghost will span over more than one CD, so it's no big deal. If you're going to span over CDs and install everything, make a backup at the 600-700 mb level (one CD) anyway. Just in case. If one of the multiple CD set gets lost or damaged you're stuck with a complete from scratch install. Now you have your single disk as a backup backup...

Now the tricky part -- organization!! NEVER store your files in the program directory. It's best to make another directory, preferably from the main directory (not under the program directory) with nothing but your files in it. You might want to make a "Files" directory then a directory for each type of file/program under that. When you do backups, ONLY backup the files directory. I make a separate directory for each program I store a lot of files with, then a "MISC FILES" directory for everything else. This way you only make ONE main backup, and the files are easy to backup as you make them. Backup as often as you make changes you can't bear to lose. For some people that's daily, for others 2-3 times a year may be enough.

Even easier -- partition a large drive into several sections, 20-40 gb each. I have an 80 GB drive (looking at upgrading soon!) divided into four 20 gb prtitions. C is the root -- nothing but OS stuff and most programs, D is "DTP" where I install my DTP programs and some files, E is "files" where most files get stored, and F is "games". Partitioning a drive makes items load a little faster, and searches easier, especially if you follow your own rules! All I'd have to search is the 20 gb of "files", leaving 60 gb alone! And I can look without using "search" easier. For backups, I can just backup the "files" drive and the directory I use for storage on "DTP". Quick and easy! I don't collect programs just for the sake of having them -- if I don't use it on a regular basis, it doesn't stay on my computer. If I use it once a year, it doesn't take long to install/uninstall.

The best kept secret to computer organization: KEEP IT ORGANIZED!! Start with a plan, like my partitioning, then stick with it -- or at least close.

Not trying to high-jack the thread...
Old 12-21-2005, 11:56 AM

Last photo:

I need a Good "How To" DVD VIDEO on Rebuilding a Ford 9" center chunk, and a Good "How To" DVD VIDEO on Rebuilding an automatic Transmission like the 350ths 400ths & a 700R4s (I probably won't ever Rebuild my own automatic Transmissions, but would like more knowledge on them ) any suggestions ?

Mustangsaly

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.