Boost referencing power valves. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2010, 05:57 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Boost referencing power valves.

Since winter is now hitting us here in PA, I have alot of time on my hands. I have read the many posts on this site about boost referencing power valves and even though my car seems to run fine without the carb being referenced and my low boost (5lbs) I am going to reference my carb.

I have already locked out my vacuum advance distributor. I have my mechaincal timing at 28* as per some advice from members on this site. 18* initial and 12*mechanical.

My blower intake only has 1 port available to connect to under the blower. Is it ok to have my vacuum advance distributor, boost/vacuum gauge and for the boost referenced power valve on the same port?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Yes, you can "T" off of it. I went for two years without boost referencing my carbs, and finally melted 7 pistons when it leaned out at WOT for only about ten seconds. IMO all blower carbs need to be reference.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

For general information:

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/indu...d-engines.html
Old 12-29-2010, 08:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427blownvette
Since winter is now hitting us here in PA, I have alot of time on my hands. I have read the many posts on this site about boost referencing power valves and even though my car seems to run fine without the carb being referenced and my low boost (5lbs) I am going to reference my carb.

I have already locked out my vacuum advance distributor. I have my mechaincal timing at 28* as per some advice from members on this site. 18* initial and 12*mechanical.

My blower intake only has 1 port available to connect to under the blower. Is it ok to have my vacuum advance distributor, boost/vacuum gauge and for the boost referenced power valve on the same port?
You can tee off or drill & tap the manifold for another or as many vacuum taps as you want. Whatever end method you use, make sure the vacuum lines are held onto the tube, tee, whatever positively so they do not come off under boost.

If you have a automatic transmission that uses manifold vacuum for a modulator, THM 350, THM 400, Etc., it is a good idea to install a spring loaded check valve so boost won't enter your modulator.

Even with just 5 PSI of boost you still need to reference your carbs to the manifold below the blower.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:51 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the information. Luckily the transmission is a t56 six speed manual and dont have a regulator. I will just have to "T" into the vacuum port to hook everything up. (gauge, distributor and power valve on 1 port)

Thanks for the link 68novass, I already have that write up saved on my laptop but I am definately not going that route. Once you drill out your powervalve protector there is no changing back. I have a quickfuel 950 and the carb was well over $750 when I bought it. If you do the power valve mod that way there is no going back.

I am going to plug the existing powervalve source with 2 part epoxy and then drill a seperate hole into the powervalve cavity to epoxy the vacuum tube into. That way the carb can be converted back to stock by plugging the new vacuum tube and clearing out the epoxy on the old powervalve source.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:25 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427blownvette
Thanks for the information. Luckily the transmission is a t56 six speed manual and dont have a regulator. I will just have to "T" into the vacuum port to hook everything up. (gauge, distributor and power valve on 1 port)

Thanks for the link 68novass, I already have that write up saved on my laptop but I am definately not going that route. Once you drill out your powervalve protector there is no changing back. I have a quickfuel 950 and the carb was well over $750 when I bought it. If you do the power valve mod that way there is no going back.

I am going to plug the existing powervalve source with 2 part epoxy and then drill a seperate hole into the powervalve cavity to epoxy the vacuum tube into. That way the carb can be converted back to stock by plugging the new vacuum tube and clearing out the epoxy on the old powervalve source.
Just don't put anything that isn't loctite threaded on the under side of the base plate, unless it is covered by the gasket or the intake. You don't want the engine to ingest anything.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.