of boost and TBI's - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Hellbilly Hotrods

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

of boost and TBI's

OK, im odd. i know this, and im OK with it.

im looking at doing a throttle body injected motor with a rear mount turbo, much like the STS stuff thats out. only doing it on my own, and on my beater. were not talking about making crazy power, either, just some more than it currently has. lets say about 5lbs of boost. if this works, when i do the TBI small block in the vehicle, ill incorporate a turbo into the mix from the beginning.

i know that with the MAP sensor setup to read vacuum, it wont work too good with boost. what i was thinking was that i could fool it by taking a reading at the inlet side of the turbo to provide the vacuum. will that work? also, i was thinking about using a 3rd injector on a boost referenced switch so that im getting some extra fuel starting at about 3 pounds.

all this is actually on an 88 2.8 S10 that is being built for the GRM challenge.

please, let me know what you think. im seriously considering doing this if i can figure out the fuel system. the mounting and plumbing of the turbo wont be hard, just the management side.

thanks
Michael

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Everything is HAMMER!

Last photo:

Hope it works out, take pics. But one question, what is the GRM challenge.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:58 PM

Last photo:

I'm assuming your talking about the $2008 challenge. I've always wanted to do that. The stock Map will read boost but the computer isn't going to like it. I've never used one but an FMU ($80 ebay) should work. Unless your using a Maf without a BOV, putting the sensor before the turbo won't work. Switched injectors with the stock computer is just going to be too fat or too lean ,depending on boost, everywhere but one spot if at all. An aftermarket computer is your best bet. A megasquirt 1 ($140?? kit) shouldn't eat up too much of your budget. I'd also try to put the turbo up front since your going to need this to be good at everything and 20 more feet of plumbing isn't cheap. You'll even score better in the concours with them up front. Will they let you change turbos between autocross and drag?

Kevin

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.