which booster - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2005, 08:22 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

which booster

Went roaming through the salvage yard last night and seen several brake boosters in good condition. I'm in need of a booster/mc for my 48 Chevy pu and was wondering what model of car would work well. I've got disc in front and drum in back. Looking for something that isn't huge but will work well. Any suggestions? Thanks

Barry

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2005, 10:11 AM
Last photo:

Just between you an me, I wouldn't even touch a wrecking yard MC and booster. Brakes are far too important to rely on junk yard components. You can purchase a new MC for around $50 and a booster for not much more from several street rod suppliers. The smallish 7" boosters are perfect for street rod use.

Vince
Old 08-03-2005, 11:06 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the reply Vince. I know I will probably get a lot of that from folks, and I agree about the importance of the braking system, but if it's a newer car and the front end isn't pushed into the front seat I think I would feel alright about it. I've looked through several catalogs and can't find the combination for less than $300. I don't think I couuld get a nice unit out of the scrap yard for $50.

Barry
Old 08-04-2005, 04:55 AM

Last photo:

You will want one froma rear drive so the proportioning valve works rite...look at the trucks
Old 08-04-2005, 05:02 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Where did your disk's and drums come from?? I would look for the booster and M/C from that same car if it was me..

OMT
Old 08-04-2005, 05:32 AM

Last photo:

Don, I've looked at the trucks and they all look so darn big. This isn't going to be a show truck by any means but I would like it to look nice. i like the 7" ones from places like Yogi's but really can't afford a whole new setup.

Onemore...The rearend is out of a 78 Nova the frontend is a mustang and it's going in a 48 Chevy. Thanks all

Barry
Old 08-04-2005, 07:10 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Considered Hydroboost?

Hi Barry,

I've got my heart set on going hydroboost for my project.
A lot of power assist, dependable, small, and great for cars with low manifold vaccuum.

These guys http://www.hydroboost.com/ sell new ones, along with stainless braided hoses for that "custom" look. While you're there, check out the multimedia section. They have a couple of demo's of how they work on a 455 powered 88 Olds 442 ... I want those guy's job!

If your going used (as I probably will) check around for one that has the same syle of fittings as your PS pump and steering gear ... i.e. SAE/Metric, inverted flare/o-ring. They do make PS pump reservoirs with 2 return lines, but I think that the return lines can be tee'd instead.

Hydroboost brakes were installed on a lot of GM and Ford vehicles in the 70's and 80's ... especially on anything diesel-powered. Astro/Safari, G-Vans, GM Pickups, Lincolns, Granada/Monarch/Versailles, Town Car, Mark, Crn Vic/Marquis etc.

Don L
Old 08-04-2005, 07:58 PM

Last photo:

Look at the 78-88 GM g body cars. They have a 1 1/8" bore.You will have to weld a wedge mount to the firewall to make the MC level.

A easier option is a Isusu trk booster/MC(I have this on my Shelby kit car). It works well w/camaro discs/9' Ford drum rear. I think the yr was 2001.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:56 AM

booster and mc

You might get by with a Geo Metro. They are small but Ive read where they bolt them in Falcons etc and work well. I got one from the junk yard but havent used it yet. I know where your coming from about junk yard parts! I collect alot this way ; dirt cheap is the only wat I can do it. Of course I know alot of people are going to blast about safety but I think about that and check things out well enough. The GM mid size are good too Regals, Montes etc but a little larger. Try the Metro ; I believe you will be satisfied especially if you had no booster before.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

Probably the most used thru out the yrs is the Ford Mustang from the 60 - 70's, but they are old. What ever you buy get the proportioning valve/petal & petal mount. If you buy an old unit buy a new master cyl.

The inportant thing is to get a m/c that has at least a 1" bore & was used on a disc/drum combination.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.