Boosting CR with head gaskets - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 10:58 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Boosting CR with head gaskets

I'm going to build a .060 over 350. I should hopefully have a set of federal-mogul .060 over flat tops coming real soon. I would like to get at least 9:1 out of this engine, BUT all I have right now is a set of those crappy 462624 76cc sbc heads. The pistons are rated at about 9.35:1 with 64cc. I know it's not alot at all, but if I used a thinner head gasket with the 76cc heads, how much do you think I could get out of it? Anyone have a gasket recommendation?

I plan to use the lunati 60103 cam. I have had awesome results with voodoo cams in the past, but I know this cam is going to need a little more than my usual 8:1. Please note, I am still in the market for a good set of 64cc heads, but my budget is a little tight on this one and using the 76cc heads is definatly not set in stone, but a possibility. Also I'm getting the pistons on a trade (they are brand spankin new and they are free), or else I would go with a domed piston. You guys give out some good info, even saved me from blowing money on something that wasn't going to work. Thanks for your opinions and bearing with my noob questions!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

The low buck fix:

Find a set of #4416 305HO heads and home port them with 1.94" x 1.60" valves. fully Port to a felpro #1205 gasket.

They will be 60-63cc when you are done the rework/deshrouding on the chamber for the new larger valves.

Measure the pin height of the pistons ( 1.56" stock 1.54" (rebuilder type) reduced compression height= crappy quench and low cr)

Install the heads with a felpro #1094 gasket.

This cam will not work with low compression or restrictive heads (624-882)

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 03-28-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:16 AM

Last photo:

If it was me and this wasn't my daily driver I would just wait and keep looking for the 64 cc heads, there's a lot of them out there. You won't pick up the needed compression with a head gasket change. Sell the 76's and start saving your money cuzz a "Band aided" engine is not the way to go just to get it on the street, you'll waste your time and money.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT
If it was me and this wasn't my daily driver I would just wait and keep looking for the 64 cc heads, there's a lot of them out there. You won't pick up the needed compression with a head gasket change. Sell the 76's and start saving your money cuzz a "Band aided" engine is not the way to go just to get it on the street, you'll waste your time and money.
I agree with you. I guess I'm just in a hurry for summer. My Mom has never ridden in this car and I really want to take her for a ride, plus I haven't seen her in a long time (long story). That being said, I have been looking at the patriot performance heads. I can get a set of 2.02/1.94 64cc aluminum heads for about $800, and I guess if I'm gonna spend money I might as well make it count.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:51 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
The low buck fix:

Find a set of #4416 305HO heads and home port them with 1.94" x 1.60" valves. fully Port to a felpro #1205 gasket.

They will be 60-63cc when you are done the rework/deshrouding on the chamber for the new larger valves.

Measure the pin height of the pistons ( 1.56" stock 1.54" (rebuilder type) reduced compression height= crappy quench and low cr)

Install the heads with a felpro #1094 gasket.

This cam will not work with low compression or restrictive heads (624-882)

I figured this cam would be a little needy. I hate to say I'm building an engine around a cam, but this profile just fits perfectly for what I'm looking for. I'll save the $$ to make it perfect, that voodoo line is a really good line of cams
Old 03-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

That cam needs high compression , good deep breathing heads, gears and a converter. If you don;t have all these, pick a smaller cam.

Short of getting some vortec heads:

Some other Junkyard jewel hi compression heads you can watch for are the TPI heads from 305 or 350 camaro firebirds with TPI injection. "081" (305) "083" (350 L98)

The 305 versions need bigger valves and some chamber rework.
These often overlooked TPI motor cylinder heads work great, when fully ported.
They are just as good as the old camel back heads, as a starting point.
The porting makes them rock.

Do not confuse with the similar looking low perf TBI swirl port heads.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 03-28-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad66
I'm going to build a .060 over 350. I should hopefully have a set of federal-mogul .060 over flat tops coming real soon. I would like to get at least 9:1 out of this engine, BUT all I have right now is a set of those crappy 462624 76cc sbc heads. The pistons are rated at about 9.35:1 with 64cc. I know it's not alot at all, but if I used a thinner head gasket with the 76cc heads, how much do you think I could get out of it? Anyone have a gasket recommendation?

I plan to use the lunati 60103 cam. I have had awesome results with voodoo cams in the past, but I know this cam is going to need a little more than my usual 8:1. Please note, I am still in the market for a good set of 64cc heads, but my budget is a little tight on this one and using the 76cc heads is definatly not set in stone, but a possibility. Also I'm getting the pistons on a trade (they are brand spankin new and they are free), or else I would go with a domed piston. You guys give out some good info, even saved me from blowing money on something that wasn't going to work. Thanks for your opinions and bearing with my noob questions!
You're far better off to use a small chamber head with D dish piston and tight squish of about .04 to .06 inch. Big chamber heads have poor combustion, and domes make it worse. You can get power but it comes at the expense of a lot of 4 dollar gasoline.

As a short term fix you could run a .016 thick Fel Pro gasket which would deliver 9 to one if the block isn't decked, 9.5 if it is at zero.

I wouldn't start out to build an engine this way, but for free parts, there's plenty that can be done with a little added milling of the block deck and/or heads to make this work pretty good.

I didn't run a dynamic cr on this as it takes time to look up all the cam specs and run the calculator that I just don't have at this moment but go here with the data and get some results you want somewhere around 8 to 8.5 to 1. http://www.kb-silvolite.com/calc.php?action=comp2

Bogie
Old 03-28-2011, 06:45 PM

I'll sell you my felpro 1094's .015 compresses 25 plus shipping I can't use them because I am .018 in the hole and quench will be to tight
Old 03-28-2011, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

HaHaHaHa....well I''VE got some used felpro's that are already squisshed, more gooder for gooder compression............SJK, have you ever read the guidelines reg: no selling or buying on the forum???
Old 03-29-2011, 04:04 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
Some other Junkyard jewel hi compression heads you can watch for are the TPI heads from 305 or 350 camaro firebirds with TPI injection. "081" (305) "083" (350 L98)
Didn't the 083 (iron) heads come with a 64cc chamber on the F-body? The good 350 HO heads only came on the vette L98 iirc.
The 305 heads (081) should have 58cc though, yep.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:03 AM

Sorry I actually never read the regs. I'm used to the MC racing forums, where posting sale items is not allowedbut in conversation its no sweat. SOrry I will do 200 keyboard strokes for making a mistake.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.