Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Borg-Warner R10 Overdrives?
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2005, 07:58 PM
Too many hobbies!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sorry M&M, but forgot to get pics, before dark. Maybe I'll crawl under it tomorrow. $$$ was my motivation on this from the beginning. I'm not about to give what they are asking for a gear vendors unit. That's more than I gave for the truck I mounted mine under.

Yes, Red, the Borg-Warner R10 overdrive, that was used by nearly every major manufacturer, at some point, between the 30's and 70's. I have no idea how many variations there were, but had to be dozens, given the different tranny's they were fitted to. I think the Chevy units, used behind SM318's & Saginaws, would be best, given the built in slip yoke seal, on the back end. The Saginaw units are pretty rare, '66-'69 only, and really expensive. I've seen a few SM318 units, which would be cheaper, given the lackluster performance potential of the main transmission. I've even read a few articles, that told how to refit one onto a Saginaw 4-speed.

This one was partially modified, before I got it. The main shaft had been cut, and turned, and the shift collar, welded to a slip yoke. I put sealed bearings in, and made a front cover, with mounts. The governor, and speedo adapter were gone, so, I blocked those holes, with freeze plugs.

I'm going to reroute my breather tube, next, and use larger tubing, to see if I can get it to quit spitting oil.