Borg-Warner R10 Overdrives? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2005, 06:20 PM
Too many hobbies!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Borg-Warner R10 Overdrives?

Who's the authority on the old B-W R10's, that were used by nearly everyone(at some point), from the 30's, to the 60's?
I'm using one, as an auxiliary, behind a TH400, and having some seal issues.

I'd like to chat at someone that's familiar with the guts of these things.

I haven't been on for a while, but I'll be checking back, to see if there is anyone around with thoughts.

Advertisement

Last edited by packratwrecker; 03-10-2005 at 12:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2005, 07:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Back to the top, hopefuly this get a response.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:42 AM
Too many hobbies!

Last photo:

Thanks for the boost boss, but I think, that with all the late model O/D stuff out there, these are obsolete. Guess, I'm just old fashioned, or hard-headed.

btw, Think I got my seal issue fixed. Combination of defective bearing, and too much oil. Now I just need to get the breather tube to quit spitting at me.

P.S. If this thing works out, as far as durability, and simplicity, I may be in the market to buy old o/d trannys, to build conversion units.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:19 PM

Last photo:

Pack,Do you mean the overdrives that went on the back of a standard three speed?
Old 03-12-2005, 07:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Do you have any pictures of it, I'm curious.

And the main problem I see with the new ones. $$$$
Old 03-12-2005, 07:58 PM
Too many hobbies!

Last photo:

Sorry M&M, but forgot to get pics, before dark. Maybe I'll crawl under it tomorrow. $$$ was my motivation on this from the beginning. I'm not about to give what they are asking for a gear vendors unit. That's more than I gave for the truck I mounted mine under.

Yes, Red, the Borg-Warner R10 overdrive, that was used by nearly every major manufacturer, at some point, between the 30's and 70's. I have no idea how many variations there were, but had to be dozens, given the different tranny's they were fitted to. I think the Chevy units, used behind SM318's & Saginaws, would be best, given the built in slip yoke seal, on the back end. The Saginaw units are pretty rare, '66-'69 only, and really expensive. I've seen a few SM318 units, which would be cheaper, given the lackluster performance potential of the main transmission. I've even read a few articles, that told how to refit one onto a Saginaw 4-speed.

This one was partially modified, before I got it. The main shaft had been cut, and turned, and the shift collar, welded to a slip yoke. I put sealed bearings in, and made a front cover, with mounts. The governor, and speedo adapter were gone, so, I blocked those holes, with freeze plugs.

I'm going to reroute my breather tube, next, and use larger tubing, to see if I can get it to quit spitting oil.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:02 PM

Last photo:

Pack,The only thing I know about them is what my father told me.I have a 54 f-100.My father had a 54 ford car overdrive that he gave me that I was and still might put in my 54.When he gave it to me I told him I would just probably keep it in overdrive all the time because of the 3.92 in the truck rear end.He told me, no you want.He said the carrier that holds the planetary gears were weak and where known to break.
Like you said they put these in everything.It sounds like maybe yours is built up some.This is all I know which isn,t much.I want to know more too.Does someone out there agree or disagree with my fathers opinion?
Some of you flathead guys ,Help us out!!!!!!! And Pack I would like to see some pictures of what you are doing too.Thanks,Carl
Old 03-13-2005, 08:16 AM
Too many hobbies!

Last photo:

Red, keeping it in overdrive will work, until you try and back up. The 1-way roller clutch, behind the planetary, will bind up, until it blows up. I can't imagine how these things could be too fragile. The guts are as big, or bigger, than the stuff found in a modern auto trans.

The guy at Bumper to Bumper in Beloit has one behind a pickup 4-speed, in an early 60's Ford. He says the only real concern is not to let the lube oil get low, or it will eat the carrier gears.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:17 PM
Too many hobbies!

Last photo:

Sorry guys. No pics today. Took the camera down to the shop, after lunch and snapped a few. When I got home, the computer wouldn't recognise the disk, and the camera battery was almost dead.

I'm gonna try a new disk, and a freshly charged battery, tomorrow, after work.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Too many hobbies!

Last photo:

Not clean, or spiffy, but works well.

Finally got all the demons out, and got some pics under the ramp truck a lil bit ago.

The burnt grease on the exhaust, and undercarriage, is from the faulty front seal, and being overfull. That has stopped, since replacing the seal, and filling to the proper level. When I get the vent rerouted, I think the spitting will be finished, also.

It's also a little filthy, because my last test run was out to a friends farm, about 10 miles out in the country.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-002F.JPG
Views:	7260
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	4227   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-003F.JPG
Views:	6830
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	4228   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-008F.JPG
Views:	7033
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	4229  

Last edited by M&M CUSTOM; 03-17-2005 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Showing picture's for 'ya.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Too many hobbies!

Last photo:

A few more pics...

009 is the overdrive lockout cable, which I put behind the seat. The cable was too shor to reach the dash, and this way, it isn't getting kicked around under the dash. It's in easy reach, right at the end of the seat.

012 is the Eaton axle switch, temporarily mounted to the column. I think I like it there, but the mounting needs some work. Not too ugly, for a 10 minute job.
If I decide to eliminate the lockout cable, and use a solenoid, I can wire it to the direct side of the switch, so it will work like a regular 2-speed axle. Overdrive, or direct lock, and bypass the overrunning clutch, in direct.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-009F.JPG
Views:	7027
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	4230   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-012F.JPG
Views:	6773
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	4231  

Last edited by M&M CUSTOM; 03-17-2005 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Showing picture's for 'ya.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:38 PM

Last photo:

Pack,It looks good!Yours is different than the 54 car trans I have.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:29 PM
Too many hobbies!

Last photo:

This one was made into an auxilairy, by cutting the transmission's main shaft, and having a slip yoke welded to the low/reverse shift collar. A roll pin, and a set screw keep it together.
The tailshaft housing varies depending on who was using the unit, but the guts are probably the same. Most of the Chevy's I've seen are similar to a modern transmission, with the slip yoke and seal on the rear end. I think this one is a Nash, Kaiser, or Rambler unit, but not sure.
Mine is lacking the governor, and speedo adapter, that yours probably has.

I have a 65 Chevy pickup unit at the shop, now, that on a SM318 3 speed.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:18 PM
machinest & A&P Mechanic

Last journal entry: distributer housing...
Last photo:

interesting setup you have their... I to collect these old gems, I have one saginaw with the overdrive, (its going to be 4 speed, I already had the case machined) and I have 2 of the older units but I can only make one good one of the 2 (1955 chevy with the 4 bolts) I have 2 of the trannys apart right now on my workbench.

I also have some info that I have collected over the years... maybe we can swap some?

-Leo-
Old 03-14-2005, 11:55 PM
Too many hobbies!

Last photo:

Leo,
I never considered that this might be a Chevy unit, for an old torque tube setup. That would explain the flange and collar on the back end, and the strange output shaft spline. It's 1 3/16"(or 1 3/8", have to measure again) x 10 spline. I got the output yoke from a Jeep & 4x4 shop, down in Salina.

The rear shaft is from a 64 Chevy pickup. I only had to cut a little of the spline stubs, to get the lengths right. It's basically reversed position, with the carrrier bearing cut off. I can't remember where I got the front shaft, but I think it's a 4x4 front shaft, given the small diameter tube.

That is the problem with being a packrat. I can dig up almost anything, but most of the time I can't remember where I got it, or what it fit.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.