Borg Warner t56. Can you change shifter position?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2013, 04:51 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Borg Warner t56. Can you change shifter position??

Hi,
I am looking at a Borg Warner t56. I need to move the shifter forward to where the inspection cover is. The application I want it in is a 55 2nd series chev pickup and if its not moved, the shifter will be under the bench.

I know that a shifter relocation kit is available for the tremac t56 but was keen to find out if there is one for the Borg Warner.

Cheers

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 07:20 AM

Last photo:

Borg Warner sold the majority of its typical manual transmissions off to Tremec out of Mexico. The T56, T5, T45 etc were BW designs and were sold to Tremec. Assuming theres no difference in the master shift rail, your relocation kit will work. Contact an "elite" dealer with the tag number of your transmission (1386-xxx for example if its a Warner unit; TUETxxxx for example if its a Tremec). They should be able to tell you if the kit fits that specific application.
I'd recommend D&D Performance out of Michigan. They've been around a long time and answer their emails promptly.
The Following User Says Thank You to AutoGear For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (07-31-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 03:47 PM

Last photo:

The Gear Box

Well, I was on go to order a kit from this place and it appears they are on backorder from their supplier.

T56 6 Speed Transmission Parts & Rebuild Kits

Nate, do you know anything good or bad about these folks?

Nolan
Old 07-31-2013, 06:49 AM

Last photo:

Sure do; Kevin and Judy were here in Syracuse a few months ago. They're one of my best customers. Kevin is a great builder, very knowledgeable and their prices are usually some of the best out there. I didn't suggest him because they've been on vacation and I didn't think he was tending emails.

If you can post or PM me the part number, I can dig around and see if I can find someone. However, Tremec's support of the T56 is falling off rapidly. It started life in 1993 and ended in 2002. They're only on the hook for 10yrs after that. I imagine the relocation kits are something they produce once a year when enough get back ordered.
The Following User Says Thank You to AutoGear For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (07-31-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 08:38 AM

Last photo:

Part Number

Nate, I don't see a part number in the Gear Box link. It just says T56 front shift conversion kit and a footnote to let them know what specific transmission.

I need the kit for my '57 project, I'm trying to get it moving along again and the kit is a first move to getting the engine/transmission mounted. I've already built the engine mounts and transmission crossmember, but had to put the project on hold a while back.

On the subject of Tremec discontinuing support on the B/W t56, I have two '97 B/W t56 transmissions, one for the project truck and another in my street/strip '97 Camaro SS. My Camaro transmission is getting a bit sloppy and noisy but hasn't failed yet. I'm not worried about the one for the truck as its only a 23,000 mile unit. My friend and transmission builder suggested replacing the sloppy one with a brand new Tremec vs. attempting a rebuild because the cost of the new parts & labor would likely exceed the cost of the replacement. So I've decided to just run it until it breaks.

If Kevin and Judy read this, they will know there are at least two people interested in buying a kit, so tell them to get back to work! I don't see a B/W t56 shifter relocation kit on the D&D site.

Thanks for being a great asset when it comes to manual transmission advise on this forum. Nolan
Old 07-31-2013, 09:24 AM

Last photo:

Front shift on a T56 is not something a weekend mechanic should attempt; you have to disassemble the gearbox and modify (or change) the shift rail I believe. Its not a bolt on deal like the 6060/Magnum.
Thats definitely a custom kit and looks very nice. Let me do some digging.

Thanks for the appreciation! Im here as a gearhead and not a salesman, anything I can do to keep from seeing another auto stuffed in a car.

RPM Transmissions and Texas Drivetrain Performance have exchange/core programs, might be worth a look. Both Guffey (RPM) and Jason (TDP) build great transmissions.

Tags
borg warner, relolcation, shifter, t56

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.