Borrowing Tools - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 08:42 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Borrowing Tools

So over the past few weeks I've been helping my neighbor out with his patio on and off before he moves back to Indiana. He's self employed and I work 40+ a week, my old lady works 30 hours and we have two kids. So when I can't help him in person, I let him borrow my tools: A 3/8" ratchet, a 3" extension, a 7/8" box wrench and a 1/2" hammer drill. All nice, brand name stuff. He was just replacing the hardware for the patio posts, but has a couple of back problems right now, and as result also had his son over on some of the days I couldn't help him. His son brought tools as well (apparently mine weren't good enough)

We last week I helped him finish up the last post and I told him, "I'm going to take my tools home now since you don't need them anymore." He looked at me confused and asked me "What tools?" I pointed at his plastic tool box (one of the 50-piece sets that come pre-molded and book-fold) that was just full of tools thrown in it haphazardly and named off my tools, size and brand. Apparently at the time, my information was enough to take me at word but tonight he asked me if I had taken his son's ratchet by mistake.

The ratchet his kid has is one of those craftsman's with the blue handle, the ratchet I let him borrow is all chrome and has a nice goose neck to it. I specifically let him borrow it because I knew he'd be working close to the concrete and the goose neck would save his knuckles. I told him "No, I don't have it, but if you don't believe me you can look in my toolbox when I get home."

I'm trying to keep an even demeanor about this, but inside I'm steaming mad that he would ask me if I took his son's ratchet. His disorganization is not shared by me, and I have no reason to want a spare 3/8" ratchet, I have a handful of them. Has anyone else ever had problems with neighbors borrowing tools?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 08:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Oh yes, been there many times when younger, trying to be helpful cost me hundreds of dollars.. The last straw was when a neighbor wanted to borrow my car dolly for the weekend. Didn't bring it back Monday and I talked to his mother.. He moved to Alabama....with my tow dolly..never saw it again or loaned ANY more tools.. I tell would be borrowers I need a $$$$$$$$$ deposit...
The Following User Says Thank You to BOBCRMAN@aol.com For This Useful Post:
Valkyrie5.7 (05-15-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 08:57 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Not a bad idea. This was enough to put a sour taste in my mouth, I don't think my tools are ever going to leave my garage without being under my supervision again.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

My tool's is no different then my wife,,,, You don't Borrow either one...
The Following User Says Thank You to NEW INTERIORS For This Useful Post:
Valkyrie5.7 (05-15-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 09:52 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

I'd rather have a neighbor in my box than some of these old meth head looking guys the boss brings around.
The Following User Says Thank You to tech69 For This Useful Post:
Valkyrie5.7 (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 12:14 AM
Registered

Thats bs. Its really the principle that is irritating. I misplaced my favorite 3/8s when I put it in the misc specialty tools toolboxand not in the main tools toolbox. I spent 3 days searching everywhere even on roads (possibility it was still in the engine bay and in my tired stooper left it n it fell out). Not thinking that It may be in the other box. All the while I had to use a backup which I was not haply about and was ragging until I went in the other box and was like really...

Same thing happened with my favorite tin snips once. Again being tired was the culprit and I later found them in the engine bay of the truck but I literally went on a rampage when I thought I had lost them. It sucks losing tools.

But due to your dilemna is why when me and buddies meet up at one of our places to work on our autos we always keep them seperated within their own section, whatever tool we use stays in our hand or at our side until we put it back in its designated area and we run down all of the tools that we have and have a confirmation that everyone has all of their tools and arent missing any. You can get with my gf but when it comes to my autos and my tools thats the line lol. I get uneasy when friends sit behimd the wheel of mine even with the daily its weird.
The Following User Says Thank You to itsjusti For This Useful Post:
Valkyrie5.7 (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 01:22 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

if it's a friend I wouldn't mind letting someone borrow my cheap stuff I have as doubles, which is craftsman and husky and those sort of tools, but if it's at work my thoughts are, "get your own fricken tools!". If someone has to borrow the same tool day in and day out should just go get the darn thing themselves.
The Following User Says Thank You to tech69 For This Useful Post:
Valkyrie5.7 (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 05:56 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

I let my neib, borrow tools, as he returns them and snowblows my driveway if he is off, and if he's working I have free range to go get it and do my drive and ofcourse I do his also.. my dad always brings stuff back so ,he just has to ask..
everyone else... other neib. or friends/family. I take a deposit, of the cost of the tool+1/2.. if you don't like that,well go buy it.. this way the tool always comes back and in the shape it left in.. cause if it's broken they don't get their money back untill it's fixed..
only had one neib, bark about it.. and I flat out tell them, I'm sorry but tools have a habbit of growing legs and never to be seen again.. this way if that happens, I can replace it.. and people tend to treat it as it was their own when there is money on the line...
I sad, sorry don't like it, go rent it from lowes, you'll give back the tool and get nothing back..
he was like but it's only a ratchet, I said, yes it is, buy that ratchet is 350.oo if it grows legs, I'm out 350 bucks.
then the lightbulb went off..in his head..
not that I'd loan out that ratchet.. but it proved the point..
haven't lost a tool yet, other than the wife moving stuff, and not being able to find it..
that will be fixed once I get the basement done.. and every tool will have it's own place.. just like the garage..
The Following User Says Thank You to gearheadslife For This Useful Post:
Valkyrie5.7 (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 09:39 AM

Last journal entry: Body
Last photo:

I used to let some guys at work borrow tools every now and then, but it will not happen again as I always have to ask for them back several times!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to 38Sedan For This Useful Post:
Valkyrie5.7 (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 09:57 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

I could not even begin to count how many i have lost over the years that never made it back home, But I have one friend i can lend some tools to and get them back, even though he seldom ask cause he knows how i am about my tools, i tool myself along time ago i would never do it again i have even given tools engine stands cherry pickers away instead of lending them out now they were older one but still good working order just the same , i helped a neighbor out not to long ago he wanted to borrow my engine hoist well that's been awhile now and as bad as i can say is i'm going after it next week and that's it again done with it . i think anyway.

Cole

The Following User Says Thank You to eloc431962 For This Useful Post:
Valkyrie5.7 (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 11:48 AM
Bubbles is the girl next door

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

When matco came out with ratcheting box wrench I got a metric set. My friend barrowed them . He returned them , two of the wrenches with a broken mechanism. I didn't catch it at first. I found out when I tried to use them next. Confronting him later, he replied they are lifetime warranty.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
When matco came out with ratcheting box wrench I got a metric set. My friend barrowed them . He returned them , two of the wrenches with a broken mechanism. I didn't catch it at first. I found out when I tried to use them next. Confronting him later, he replied they are lifetime warranty.
Yeah i have heard that one before too. some people just don't care as long as it's not theirs.

Cole
The Following User Says Thank You to eloc431962 For This Useful Post:
Valkyrie5.7 (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 02:40 PM

Last journal entry: 27
Last photo:

i have a rule that i use with my buddies (they are the only ones that get to borrow ANYTHING)
the first time you need it i am more than happy to oblige
if you need it twice?
buy your own.
it has worked great for a long time.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I'll loan out my "Snap-off" tools, but never my Craftsman or my good ones.

I have broken SO many Snap-offs and had SO much trouble finding the "friendly" truck driver and then getting told to perform the physically impossible thing that I'd loan out those to strangers on the street rather than use 'em by mistake.

(I've sold nearly all of 'em now)
Old 05-16-2013, 04:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

You my friend ...are a good neighbor. Your neighbor on the other hand ...not so much.
I dont loan tools... I gotta trust a guy pretty well before I loan anything of value.
I would loan you a tool if needed as I think you could be trusted, sounds like you need a few.
At least you make a great neighbor.
Valkyrie5.7 (05-16-2013)

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.