Is bottled water the same as distilled?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2011, 07:42 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is bottled water the same as distilled??

I have been puting bottled water in my batteries and i have 12 of them/thinking that it was distilled.Is this a bad deal on this idea i have in my head??

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2011, 07:46 AM

Last photo:

Is bottled water the same as distilled?

Not even close and almost all bottled water is the same stuff that comes out of the tap in most city water systems, basically bottled water is just tap water.

You can easily find distilled water however at most grocery stores and even Wal-Mart so why are you using bottled water?
Old 05-08-2011, 07:54 AM

Last photo:

I had the idea it was distilled,I haven't put much water in anything in a long time around here, but i am getting distilled water from here on. All my life i used regular city and well water, but it don't look like its the the way i should have been adding water thanks red bob s
Old 05-08-2011, 08:02 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

a lot of bottled water is filtered, but that is nothing like distilled
I think it will be ok in those batts, just not as good as distilled water
Old 05-08-2011, 08:09 AM

Last photo:

Thank you Matt bob s
Old 05-08-2011, 08:21 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
a lot of bottled water is filtered, but that is nothing like distilled
I think it will be ok in those batts, just not as good as distilled water

Almost all bottled water is just tap water from some city municipal water system but people buy that stuff all the time thinking it is somehow better than regular tap water. Sure there are real bottled Artisan and Spring water brands that cost a lot more, and really are nothing special anyway, but unless it plainly says "Artisan" or "Spring" water then it is just simple tap water from a city water supply system. All beside the point however because even if it is Artisan or Spring water it still is no replacement for distilled water and depending on the mineral content some could be even worse than tap water.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

There is a big difference between bottled and distilled water,JMO Trust me just ask my sleep app machine.

Cole
Old 05-08-2011, 08:36 AM
I don't understand?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Almost all bottled water is just tap water from some city municipal water system but people buy that stuff all the time thinking it is somehow better than regular tap water. Sure there are real bottled Artisan and Spring water brands that cost a lot more, and really are nothing special anyway, but unless it plainly says "Artisan" or "Spring" water then it is just simple tap water from a city water supply system. All beside the point however because even if it is Artisan or Spring water it still is no replacement for distilled water and depending on the mineral content some could be even worse than tap water.
as part of the bottling process, most common bottled water goes through a filter of some kind.

even if its just a screen, to keep the bigger rocks out

some filter better than others!
Old 05-08-2011, 08:40 AM
I don't understand?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
as part of the bottling process, most common bottled water goes through a filter of some kind.

even if its just a screen, to keep the bigger rocks out

some filter better than others!
remember, it all goes into clear bottles!
Old 05-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Your characterization of bottled water is only partially accurate. First of all, it's "artesian", not "artisan" (which is a skilled craftsman) and secondly while bottled water only needs to come from an approved source, like a municipal water supply, bottled water is regulated by the FDA. Also, 80% of the water sold in the U.S. comes from members of the International Bottled Water Association which requires more treatment of water from a municipal water supply. Read the second to last paragraph on the first page of this article.CLICK HERE

Lastly, the bottled water could be distilled depending on how the IBWA water company treats it. It may not be distilled, but it could be.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:49 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
Your characterization of bottled water is only partially accurate. First of all, it's "artesian", not "artisan" (which is a skilled craftsman) and secondly while bottled water only needs to come from an approved source, like a municipal water supply, bottled water is regulated by the FDA. Also, 80% of the water sold in the U.S. comes from members of the International Bottled Water Association which requires more treatment of water from a municipal water supply. Read the second to last paragraph on the first page of this article.CLICK HERE

Lastly, the bottled water could be distilled depending on how the IBWA water company treats it. It may not be distilled, but it could be.

The spelling was from Firefox spell checker and I didn't notice I had chosen the wrong one.

Below is from an ABC news web site, like I said most bottled water is just from a city water supply, simple tap water and I have a good friend that bottles and sells the stuff, has for years.

"The labels of the bottled waters do suggest they're special. Some show mountains or polar bears or glaciers. You have to look at the fine print to find out Everest Water is not from Mount Everest. It's from Corpus Christi, Texas. Glacier Clear Water is not from a glacier in Alaska. [ Its source is TAP water from Greeneville, Tenn.]

Big-selling Dasani and Aquafina are also just reprocessed TAP water from cities around the country.

[ One of Aquafina's sources is the Detroit River!]

At least the popular French water, Evian, does come from France.

You would be surprised at how little regulation there is on bottled water.

www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0304-04.htm

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/H...8031551&page=1

http://www.bottledwaterblues.com/bot...ater_facts.php

"federal regulations that govern bottled water require it to be only as good as tap water, not better. There are no regulations or requirements that bottled water be any higher in quality than tap water, and according to some recent studies, it may often be of lower quality."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes

No way, if it is distilled it must clearly say so, besides there is a big taste difference and most people can easily tell the difference when tasting distilled water.

Last edited by oldred; 05-08-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:00 AM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

I think bottled water will be fine in the batteries, it is just not as clean as distilled water. Bottled water/tap water is just filtered water where distilled water is chemically cleaned water so it is just pure plain water

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distilled_water
Old 05-08-2011, 09:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85
Bottled water/tap water is just filtered water where distilled water is chemically cleaned water so it is just pure plain water

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distilled_water

Chemically cleaned?

Distilled water is condensed steam, there are no chemicals involved (well there is Dihydrogen monoxide )

Bottled water still contains minerals and most bottled water still has the chemicals such as Chlorine that is used in the city water systems. Bottled water is no better for use in batteries than simple tap water. Distilled water OTOH has no minerals and no chemicals like Chlorine, it is the minerals contained in normal tap/bottled water that is the biggest problem with using it for batteries.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

You are right that distilled water is better for batteries. You are also right that some bottled water is no better than tap water. It is not correct to say that "almost all bottled water", your words, is only tap water. 80% of the bottled water in this country comes from IBWA members whose standards are stricter than the FDA's standards. Once again you use peripheral sources to prove your point, all with an axe to grind, instead of going to the actual source of regulations, the FDA. Here they are: FDA BOTTLED WATER STANDARDS And here are the IBWA standards: IBWA STANDARDS

I realize you will never admit that you are wrong about anything, but could you admit that part of your assertions about bottled water are incorrect?

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 05-08-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:14 AM
I don't understand?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred

Bottled water still contains minerals and most bottled water still has the chemicals such as Chlorine that is used in the city water systems. Bottled water is no better for use in batteries than simple tap water. Distilled water OTOH has no minerals and no chemicals like Chlorine, it is the minerals contained in normal tap/bottled water that is the biggest problem with using it for batteries.
^^^^^ i agree with this
Closed Thread

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.